Sunday, September 21, 2014

Journal

This week I had the opportunity to travel to Washington DC with my mom and sister! 
My sis was having a work meeting and since I'm on mom's United benefits we flew standby (free) and stayed in Kam's hotel (again free!).  It was a fun trip. We saw the Lincoln Memorial, Washington Memorial, White House (just from the lawn), went to the Holocaust Museum (so sad), Arlington Cemetery where we saw JKF's grave, the Tomb of The Unknown Solider and my favorite, General Lee's House. (I love old houses and I'm pretty sure this is the oldest house I have ever viewed?)
Mom and I made all our flights and it was great to talk late into the night with my mom and sis. Poor Kam had to go to meetings but spent most of the day with us one day and then the nights each night. 
I came home Thursday afternoon then left for the Wonder Woman Ride in Payson Friday night. Amy and I had planned to go months ago and we ended up with a fun crew from our ward. Janie, Ronda, Allyson, Lori, & Ashley. It was a beautiful day. When I told my kids I was leaving, again, they (as in Ry and Alex) groaned a little - they had admitted to missing me during my DC trip. (Rylee's words were "I missed you so much! I am tired of being the mom!" and Alex's were "I can't play water polo without your food, mom!" meaning my cooking. He ate terrible the whole time I was gone. Not sure a veggie was consumed the whole time I was gone? )  Then Alex put on a happy face and told me he was glad I was getting away for a ride. They've been far a few between this summer. 
Alex has been filling out resumes and applying for work all over the place. He's interviewed at The Rec center - no positions available, Harmons as a bagger - they didn't ask him back for a 2nd interview, the movie theater -  that pays $5 an hour for the first 90 days (how can they get away with that?) and applied at Chick Fil A, Chuck A Rama, Papa Murphy's and a few other places I'm forgetting. Saturday he got an interview with Papa Murphy's. I was in Payson Friday night when he text with the news. I prepped him to iron a shirt and bring a resume and to be FRIENDLY! He went and said it went well and then proceeded to get his food handlers permit online - all while I was on my bike ride. He decided that he needs to get it one way or another and without asking me he just paid and took care of it! 
Then last night - around 7pm they called and offered him the job!
He's employed!
I can tell he is relieved . All day today he keeps fist bumping me and reminding me that he has a job! (I think he just likes to say it out loud?) He also told me that now that he's working he's going to ask a  girl to the next dance. I told him I'd spot him for homecoming next month and he could pay me back? But since he's one of the few that are 16 in his grade he's decided to wait until more girls are 16.
Today was the Ogden Temple Rededication so we went to the Stake Center to witness it via satellite as opposed to church. When we got to the waving of the handkerchief part, you'd think Alex thought we were having a handkerchief war as opposed to a nice waving! Sometimes hanging out with teens is fun - even if it is irreverent. 
Devree came home for the weekend - she was there to be the "adult" while I was in Payson as I was hoping Austin would be in North Dakota working but he's yet to secure employment. She came home anyway and spent some time with her siblings. I laughed out loud at her Snapchat of her and Austin singing in the car on their way to get burritos. She's so fun to have home and she's loving Snow. 
Ry's been a bit sick but is in the kitchen making something yummy for dessert today. She sure loves to bake! And she is really good at it. 
Kambree is hard at work down in Ephraim going to RN school and working as a RD while her cute husband is at the police academy training to be a prison guard. They make me so proud working so hard and taking care of each other. I just hope all my other children find such great spouses. I kid but I'm serious when I say that Cameron has set the bar high for the other kids spouses.
Speaking of spouses....Alex is girl crazy. And scarier - some girls are crazy about him. He met a girl over the summer that he is continually Snapchatting and who continually gets him in trouble. He had his phone taken away for a week for Snapchatting her through Sunday school and priesthood. (Part of the smartphone contract is NO using your phone during church meetings except for scriptures and hymns.) Then while I was in DC he Snap-Chatted her after his 10 pm school night curfew. Then while in Payson he neglected to let me know where he was going BEFORE he went anywhere AND he put friends in his car to take them home - and he's still in his 6 month probation of NO FRIENDS IN THE CAR - a law - not my rule. 
So guess who got ALL the main floor walls washed on Saturday? Yep. I told him that I'd just have to work his butt off to help him remember these basic rules! 
Oy!
The one great thing about Alex (well, there are many but this one is particularly endearing) is that he truly is repentant and admits to his mistakes. It makes it hard to follow through on consequences sometimes because he's so contrite but being the "mean"mom that I am (and in hopes that I'm doing my part to shape him into a responsible and honorable man) I do follow through. 

AND 
Alex finally got his EAGLE! 
9 months later he finally had his Board Review and he passed! 
Now we're just waiting for his certificate and then we have to plan his Court of Honor? I really have no idea.....we've never done this before. 
James is hard at work in ND. 
And I'm here - holding the fort down - except when I'm flying off to DC and going on bike rides with my girlfriends.....

0 of my blog friends said something...:

Related Posts with Thumbnails