Wow, school starts tomorrow and I'm singing the "Most wonderful time of the year" Christmas song over and over in my head!
It is not that I don't love my children I just don't love entertaining them for days on end, and or listening to Wii, Disney Channel and Avatar all day long. I get tired of feeding them from dawn until dusk, I get tired of tattling, tears, tantrums, sleep overs, late overs, and the inevitable "I'm bored, there is nothing to do!" I get tired of sharing my computer while they facebook, play Webkins or check their emails and funny YouTube videos. I look forward to knowing they are in school-hopefully learning something-socializing and using their brains as opposed to their thumbs and/or fingers on the joy sticks, remote control or texting.
I must confess, I love the feeling of structure, of routine. I've typed up our daily schedule and granted, it will be highly improvable that it will be followed to exactness but it will be so nice to have regular bedtimes, mornings where we get up and eat together and quiet time after eight pm!
The downsize is of course the busyness, the dance lessons, soccer lessons, homework, etc. Kambree is gone so much with Dance Company and if she can find a job will be gone even more. This is my Kam's senior year and it hurts my heart to see her get so old. I remember feeling older and wiser at her age and yet, she probably feels just as old an wise as I did. But to me, she's just a baby. I always thought I would look forward to my kids going off to college but I'm dreading it, I don't want her to go away. (Yes, I want her to clean her room and participate more with us as a family but not move away!)
I realized that in the next ten years all my babies will be grown and out of school. (Nine years actually.) That seems like such a short time yet some days/weeks seem like forever. How can that be? I try to remember the words to the country song "You're going to miss this" and remind myself that someday I will miss what is happening right now. I will miss Alex shrugging and sighing when it comes to studying English, I will miss Rylee bursting into tears when someone hurts her feelings, I will miss Devree spending hours in her room doing her hair and blaring her music, I will miss Kambree's messy room and coming home at all hours of the night. I will miss Austin's teasing and sarcastic humor at my expense.
What I will really miss is Alex's sweet hugs five times a day or more and climbing on my lap, laying his head on my shoulder telling me "I miss you." (Even though I tucked him in bed the night before and it's now seven am!) Rylee's sweet smiling face willing to cook with me, hold my hand when we go shopping and plant sweet kisses on my cheek telling me she loves me so much.
My older girls are not as affectionate but I will miss Devree's laughing and singing. I will miss Kambree's and my heart to heart talks and conspiracy's as to how we're going to eat healthy and lose weight. I will miss Austin's incredible sense of humor and how he makes me laugh....always! (He still manages to give me a kiss goodnight-but not when anyone else is around!)
We are going to be starting the discussions with Alex. I think he needs to know what our church is about. We're hoping to have a translator come so we can be sure that Alex is understanding everything. Today we had a talk about the priesthood and what temples are for and I just don't think he got it. James gave back to school fathers blessings and he was willing and eager to have a blessing but it's hard to know what or if he understood anything. I asked him if he knew who Jesus was if he had learned about him at church in Ukraine and he told me no, then he told me "Jesus up in sky". Then later James was giving a mini-lesson on the coming of Christ (our form of family home evening during Sunday dinner) and Alex asked me if he's bad will he go (and he pointed down) and burn? So he knows about heaven and hell but then later he picked out a child's book about the birth of Jesus to read and I asked if he knew this story and he said no. Then when he was done he told me he knew the story from "scriptures in Internat (school) not church." That's interesting, so they learned the story of Jesus birth in school?
Today at dinner we were going over rules to know about school. Like not taking air soft bb guns, pocket knives or any sort of weapons to school. Then the kids were telling him about not throwing snowballs or fighting and he made up this story (through broken English, pantomiming and great sound effects) and clarified that is was just pretend from the get go but how he will make a snowman and if someone knocks it down he will shoot them with a machine gun that he will buy from the DI (Desert Industries) for five dollars. I informed him if he's buying machine gun's from the DI they will more than likely backfire and kill him. He understood this and laughed and then pantomimed him shooting the machine gun and the bullets hitting him. As a mother I find this morbid but he always clarifies that this is just for "pretend". (Thank goodness!)
It is not that I don't love my children I just don't love entertaining them for days on end, and or listening to Wii, Disney Channel and Avatar all day long. I get tired of feeding them from dawn until dusk, I get tired of tattling, tears, tantrums, sleep overs, late overs, and the inevitable "I'm bored, there is nothing to do!" I get tired of sharing my computer while they facebook, play Webkins or check their emails and funny YouTube videos. I look forward to knowing they are in school-hopefully learning something-socializing and using their brains as opposed to their thumbs and/or fingers on the joy sticks, remote control or texting.
I must confess, I love the feeling of structure, of routine. I've typed up our daily schedule and granted, it will be highly improvable that it will be followed to exactness but it will be so nice to have regular bedtimes, mornings where we get up and eat together and quiet time after eight pm!
The downsize is of course the busyness, the dance lessons, soccer lessons, homework, etc. Kambree is gone so much with Dance Company and if she can find a job will be gone even more. This is my Kam's senior year and it hurts my heart to see her get so old. I remember feeling older and wiser at her age and yet, she probably feels just as old an wise as I did. But to me, she's just a baby. I always thought I would look forward to my kids going off to college but I'm dreading it, I don't want her to go away. (Yes, I want her to clean her room and participate more with us as a family but not move away!)
I realized that in the next ten years all my babies will be grown and out of school. (Nine years actually.) That seems like such a short time yet some days/weeks seem like forever. How can that be? I try to remember the words to the country song "You're going to miss this" and remind myself that someday I will miss what is happening right now. I will miss Alex shrugging and sighing when it comes to studying English, I will miss Rylee bursting into tears when someone hurts her feelings, I will miss Devree spending hours in her room doing her hair and blaring her music, I will miss Kambree's messy room and coming home at all hours of the night. I will miss Austin's teasing and sarcastic humor at my expense.
What I will really miss is Alex's sweet hugs five times a day or more and climbing on my lap, laying his head on my shoulder telling me "I miss you." (Even though I tucked him in bed the night before and it's now seven am!) Rylee's sweet smiling face willing to cook with me, hold my hand when we go shopping and plant sweet kisses on my cheek telling me she loves me so much.
My older girls are not as affectionate but I will miss Devree's laughing and singing. I will miss Kambree's and my heart to heart talks and conspiracy's as to how we're going to eat healthy and lose weight. I will miss Austin's incredible sense of humor and how he makes me laugh....always! (He still manages to give me a kiss goodnight-but not when anyone else is around!)
We are going to be starting the discussions with Alex. I think he needs to know what our church is about. We're hoping to have a translator come so we can be sure that Alex is understanding everything. Today we had a talk about the priesthood and what temples are for and I just don't think he got it. James gave back to school fathers blessings and he was willing and eager to have a blessing but it's hard to know what or if he understood anything. I asked him if he knew who Jesus was if he had learned about him at church in Ukraine and he told me no, then he told me "Jesus up in sky". Then later James was giving a mini-lesson on the coming of Christ (our form of family home evening during Sunday dinner) and Alex asked me if he's bad will he go (and he pointed down) and burn? So he knows about heaven and hell but then later he picked out a child's book about the birth of Jesus to read and I asked if he knew this story and he said no. Then when he was done he told me he knew the story from "scriptures in Internat (school) not church." That's interesting, so they learned the story of Jesus birth in school?
Today at dinner we were going over rules to know about school. Like not taking air soft bb guns, pocket knives or any sort of weapons to school. Then the kids were telling him about not throwing snowballs or fighting and he made up this story (through broken English, pantomiming and great sound effects) and clarified that is was just pretend from the get go but how he will make a snowman and if someone knocks it down he will shoot them with a machine gun that he will buy from the DI (Desert Industries) for five dollars. I informed him if he's buying machine gun's from the DI they will more than likely backfire and kill him. He understood this and laughed and then pantomimed him shooting the machine gun and the bullets hitting him. As a mother I find this morbid but he always clarifies that this is just for "pretend". (Thank goodness!)

3 of my blog friends said something...:
Wow! sounds like everyone is ready to go back to school! I am and can't believe Kambree is a senior this year! i just came to your wedding reception right? anyhow time does fly! keep up the updates.
Yikes! How did that happen? Kambree a senior? I don't want to even think about it!
I have phone numbers for a couple of return missionaries from Ukraine if you need help teaching Alex the gospel. We met them when we were over there in July. Two sisters and one elder.
Post a Comment