Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Alex's Braces....

Last Wednesday Alex got his spacers put in for his braces. He's been excited and scared. That night while reading his voice got really quiet and whimper-y. I was holding him on my lap and he was leaning his back against my chest so I couldn't see his face. I asked him, "Alex are you crying?" "Yes, my teeffs hurt." Oh, that hurt my heart. (Spacers are almost the worse part of braces in my opinion-which should count for a lot since I've had braces on THREE times!)
I gave him Ibuprofen and told him it would get better.
And it did.
The night before getting his braces on we had a tickle and cover-Alex's-cheeks-and-forehead-with-kisses-fight. During our little wrestling match I told him he needed to take a good bath tonight because he'll want to smell good for the all the cute orthodontist techs tomorrow. Then I was pretending to be them smelling him and tickling and kissing him. He told me through giggles and chortles, "Mom, they no kiss me!"
I told them you never know!?
The next morning he was so very nervous. He told me his "tummy hurt-en". Of course he's nervous, Devree and Rylee had been telling him horror stories about getting braces on. Devree reminded me - in front of him - about how loud Rylee screamed when getting her appliance on. Which is true she screamed like a banshee. (Bands on baby teeth are very painful!) I jokingly told Alex I was going to leave if he screamed like that.
On the way to the orthodontist I tried to buoy Alex up, I told him that if Devree and Rylee can do this, he can. He is much tougher than they are and if he cries, it's okay. I won't leave. I will stay right by him. (He asked repeatedly on the days leading up to his banding if I would stay with him.)
So here he is in the chair....
First off they had to brush his teeth good and one of the first things the tech did was have him "kiss" the suction thing. I told Alex "See I told you they'd kiss you." He smiled.
Here he is after the back bands and getting prepped for the brackets He thought this picture looked especially cool because his mouth looks so huge!

During the banding - the next worse part of braces - I could tell when he hurt because he'd reach out and grab for my hand. Then later let go, then grab again when it hurt again. Once we got to the bracket part he didn't need to hold my hand anymore.
Whenever they'd get to a part where he could close his mouth or talk, he'd just pelt the tech with questions. He wanted to know what each tool was for, what each part did. He was not shy and he just asked question after question. Good thing a lot of the time he couldn't talk.
Of course ALL the techs thought he was absolutely darling. (Uh...which he is!) And he really was very brave.
Two hours later, here he is!

He got to choose colored bands for his braces and he choose white and made me chose the second color. I choose red because I know it's his favorite color and its Christmasy.
On the way home we stopped at McDonald's for a hamburger and shake on his way back to school and before the soreness sets in. (And to get that terrible glue taste out of his mouth!) I told him how awesome he did and he told me:
"I no cry mom so you no leave-a me."
Yep, that hurt my heart too. I would never leave. Apparently my joke about leaving really stuck? Despite my pep talk on the way there and my assurance that I wouldn't leave? I don't know. Someday this child we realize that I am here to stay. Right?
Anyway, he's been a trooper. He's pretty proud of his braces. I've made lots of soft foods and packed him soup, applesauce and jello on his lunches.
This morning he went to get the "jello" for me to do his hair.
Me: Uh...Alex, do you mean gel?
Alex: Oh, yes!
Me: Good, cause jello in the hair would be really sticky wouldn't it?
And we laughed...

1 of my blog friends said something...:

Heidi Gail Richhart said...

Sounds like you all have been busy! i hope you all have a wonderful week and a Very Happy Thanksgiving!

Related Posts with Thumbnails