Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Journal

This morning while working out at the gym with my friend Jan, we were lamenting (better word than complaining right?) about our financial situations, I going off about my credit union charging me for an appraisal that they never did, she worried about a job situation, me telling Devree she better pray I sell a house so I can pay her her $100 for her 4.0 report card, etc and a woman walked into the room where Jan and I lift weights. (Yes, our gym canceled our class so we just do our own thing but in the privacy of the empty group room-not on the weight floor with all the grunting, sweating, testosterone, muscular men & women) I'm not sure I know this woman's name, I'm terrible with names anyway and it is not because I'm uncaring-it's because I'm just terrible with names. Anyway, she walked in and we asked how she was and she replied, "Battling breast cancer."
We talked at length. Then she left after encouraging us to do our monthly self breast exams.
Wow. Money issues not half as bad as health issues. I need to stop complaining-I mean lamenting.
Then later I walked with Amy-once I had determined that weather bug couldn't possibly be right-at least it didn't feel like 37 degrees-we dropped the kids to school and then proceeded on our walk. Me wrestling two dogs on two leashes and Amy pushing one child in a stroller. Some person driving by actually laughed at us as I tried to untangle dogs & leashes around mailboxes.
These walks are not just good for my heart but for my head. Funny how Amy and I can talk none stop then I'll go home only to call her in five minutes to tell her something I forgot to tell her.
On Sunday I got together with my college roommate and friend, Kristin. I hadn't seen her forever. She has lost 52 pounds and looks fabulous. It was fun to reminisce and catch up. I got out my old photo album and blew the dust off and we tried to remember last names of previous roommates-to no avail. My children wanted to see the pictures and I told them they could later.
So last night Alex asked to see my album and I pulled it out. Rylee and Alex poured over it, asking questions about who all these guys were and Rylee loving my big 80's permed look. The book ends with picture of James and I before we got married.
Rylee asked if I could marry anyone in the world who would I marry. Your Dad, I said. No ANYONE, with millions of dollars?? I'd still pick your Dad. I could tell from the sweet smile on her face that I answered that question correctly. Rylee is so romantic at heart. But truth be told, if I had to pick all over, considering what I know today....I'd still pick him!
While tucking Alex in to bed he told me. "You cute mom in pictures." Awww thanks Alex.
Kambree was up late last night working on a poster for her humanities class. She is so smart and such a good student. I think she is taking three college courses in addition to dancing each day, working 3-4 nights a week and church activities. So, she is incredibly busy and burns the midnight oil quite often. I was so happy to see her up and ready on time this morning. (Mornings are not Kambree's favorite.) She's thinking she may go to Utah State or Snow College. She likes the idea of Utah State cause it's far enough away to be away but close enough to come home if she needs to. I mentioned how Dad thought she should go to Snow-mainly because he did. And then she asked how come we don't tell her these things? I told her because this is her choice, not ours. Besides if we tell her what we think she might just do the opposite. (Yeah, I SO did that as a teenager!) She asked, like when we clothes shop and you show me something and I don't like it, then I find the exact same thing I like it? Exactly!! Didn't I mention she is smart? So now we're going to start filling out applications and looking for scholarships. Oh joy.
Here's to work out friends, long ago friends, true love, college choices and self breast exams...

5 of my blog friends said something...:

snakeriverwalton said...

I love our walks. I'm glad you do too.

Jen said...

Good post Wendy. I'm just getting ready to update as well. I'm marveling at how fast time flies.

Unknown said...

Could you change your color of words? My computer is slow to download so it is yellow on yellow for me. I miss keeping up with you.

Unknown said...

Okay so I just logged in on a different post and it worked great. And your right money issues are better than health issues because health issues are both! Take care.

Wendy said...

Wendy: You are so very right, health issues do become financial issues! Thanks for the reminder. I did change my blog colors, hope that helps it load better.
Jen: I'll be watching for your update!
Amy: Live for the walks and talks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails