Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Austin & Alex

While driving to the orthodontist this afternoon we were all discussing the excellent brownies that Austin (with my help) made last night for family night. Devree and I were talking about why they were better than normal and Austin took all the credit for their greatness-but sincerely it was the homemade fudge frosting.
Then Dev and I were talking about the mint brownies we had at Super Saturday and how I need to get that recipe. However I commented on the reason they were so good was because they have so much butter in them then Austin piped in with:
Oh well, we have all eternity to be perfect.
Me: What? So like, its okay to be fat while here on earth?
Austin: Sure, this life is just a speck of time in all eternity-who care's if you're fat? I don't. I'd rather eat good brownies.
That's my Austin. Who by the way is not fat, but may be so in the near future with that attitude.
Last night Alex and I attempted to work on him learning the scout oath. Oh my. Tears and frustration.
Alex: I can't. Too many words.
Me: Sure you can, remember your primary talk? You did that and it's not like you have to memorize it all in one night. You have two months. You are so smart. I know you can do it.
Alex just cries, so much that he can't read it through his tears. Oh goodness. We put it away.
Then this afternoon Alex comes in and recites the first two lines. Memorized.
Oh my honor I will do my duty....
And he's still working on it as I type this blog.
James has left. Three weeks. Boo. I know we are blessed to have work and for that I really am grateful. I guess if I didn't like him so much it would be easier but I do like him. We all do.
Today is Veteran's Day. I am so grateful to live in this great country and for the men and women that fight for our freedom. Alex's lucky listener this week is on the immigration process and how you have to apply for a visa with the American Embassy. I reminded him of our experience in the American Embassy and all the Ukraine people standing in line just hoping to apply for a visa and how we went to the front of the line and got right in. Within two hours we had his passport and once he hit American airspace, he was automatically a citizen of this great nation. Not only did he get a family, he got a new country. So many people would give anything for that opportunity.
While at the orthadontist Alex got his spacers in for preparation for his braces next week. He was pretty brave. He asked if it was okay to jump on the trampoline with his spacers in. (Like they would bounce out or something?) Yes, Alex. You can jump on the trampoline. The othadontist tech told him no sticky candy and as we hit McDonald's-after our appointment because Austin argues that we MUST eat something before everyone's teeth get too sore later-Alex asked me if a cheeseburger was sticky? No, Alex. A cheeseburger is not sticky. I tried to explain sticky-like Laffy Taffy-to which he replies "Oh..." like he really gets what I'm talking about but since I already explained sticky at the orthodontist office in similar terms I'm betting he's just making his "I'm acting like I understand when really I'm just making the sound that makes you think I understand when truly I don't have a clue what you are talking about." Something he does very well to not only me but his teacher at school. Oh well.
He's been very apprehensive about his upcoming braces and I know next week will be a bit traumatic but this afternoon he came in and threw his arms around my neck. "My getting braces next week. I have straight teeth!" Yes, Alex you will have straight teeth.
Well, I think I'll go warm up James yummy soup for dinner. Since everyone had McDonalds earlier and I'm betting their teeth are getting sore by now. Ahh....braces! I would feel sorry for them but I had three sets, every appliances under the sun and oral surgery. So I know the drill and I'm sympathetic to their discomfort but they'll live. I did!

4 of my blog friends said something...:

Lori said...

Loved it! Especially the part about the brownies. hehe

Stacy said...

I want the brownie recipe too please! That is super cute of the boys.

Jen said...

Fun to see you tonight! He looked like he was enjoying himself. Sounds like you are well...that is wonderful.

I love brownies, by the way, one of my favorite desserts.

Lobos Family said...

Katya is going to need braces at some point, too. Fun, fun!

Related Posts with Thumbnails