Sunday, January 23, 2011

Marathon English!

Here is an example of Alex's English:

"Is the word "let" had two T's?"

Now, I know perfectly well what he's asking, "Does the word "let" have two T's?". I corrected his structure of the question and had him repeat it and then answered his question. "No, the word "let" does not have two T's." 
The problem is that often times I do NOT correct him. If I did I would be correcting about 75%-80% of everything he says. Which might sound like I am kind, tolerant or benevolent but I'm not. Really. Really I am just lazy, tired and spread thin.
I am also fully aware that if we don't correct him, he will just continue to say things wrong but, because like a toddler learning to speak, I understand perfectly what he is saying and can answer or respond appropriately I just answer/respond and move on, sometimes not even noticing the jumbled past/present tense topsy-turvy sentence structure or have the time and/or energy to address it.
Unlike a toddler though, when you're 12 going on 13 it isn't cute or funny anymore. It was when it was wacky, wrong words, funny pronouncement or combined words when he was first learning. We would all laugh. Alex included. Now, its just incorrect, crazy sentence structure, past or present tense issues and he takes offense if you laugh, can't understand or worse, correct him.
It feels like we're at the start of a very long marathon, he and I.  The English Marathon - the correction of past and present tense - the use of punctuation in writing - capitalization - plurals. Its the tough English stuff that we need to push through and dig deep for. This is not an easy race.
As I explained this morning - more for my benefit than his - that if we don't correct him, no one else will and he will just sound uneducated and funny to everyone. So I am resolving today to be more diligent. To correct with kindness and compassion. To not let things slid or assume he'll figure it out eventually. But more than that, I realize that often I am just not listening or paying enough attention because life is so crazy busy! So, I resolve to slow down, really listen and finish this marathon we've started almost 21 months ago...if only I could see the finish line!



3 of my blog friends said something...:

Stacy said...

A marathon is 26.2 so you are almost there! ;)

Wendy said...

I do hope that's months and not years!

Lori said...

I'm in the same boat. Nice to no there's other kids out there that speak just like my Alex!

Related Posts with Thumbnails