"That's the octopus that makes the blood on my rabbit"
That is an actually sentence I overheard Austin say while playing X-box 360 with his friend. Nope, no friend in the house - he's talking to him through his headset and playing online. Now when I was little, this is something I would have seen on the "The Jetson's". Playing a video game (What was a video game? Never heard of it.) with a cordless controller (Cordless? Heck! Remote controls were a novelty and only rich families had them back then. In fact I was the remote control! "Wendy change the channel, turn in down, turn it up, turn it off....") with a headset on (A headset? Like an airplane pilot?) which is also cordless all the while your friend is sitting in his house 30 miles away talking to you through the headset and playing the same game with you! Unbelievable!
As far as the meaning of the sentence?
Your guess is as good as mine!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am sitting here hoping against hope that my yeast bread/desserts for Ukraine Christmas tomorrow will raise. I have one dish done, the wheat soaking for another, one chilling and hoping it will actually come out of the mold tomorrow, two raising, and tomorrow I'll tackle the rest!
I can't believe how excited Alex is! He told me he feels "sad" for me. I think he means he feels sorry for me? I've been cooking since six and have a couple more hours to go? As I've been making these dishes (full of butter and sour cream) he's been taking a snitch here and there and licking a spoon and declaring "I didn't know Ukraine food was so good!" "I have never had this!" and "This is going to be the best Ukraine Christmas ever!" Do I detect a bit of pride? That was exactly what I was going for! Some of you have thought me crazy to make all these dishes but this is what I was hoping for. I wanted him to take some pride and see some goodness and tradition from his country. To make some sort of connection with Ukraine that he can be proud of or at the least enjoy and share with others?
Here is his todays journal entry, exactly as written:
Tomorrow is Ukraine Christmas and I am very excited because my Ukrainean friends are comeing over to eat dinner with us at my house. I am grateful that my mom has me here and I dont have to go back to Ukraine ever. I am grateful that my mom is still a mom because I dont know what I am going to do without a mom.
Did you notice he only had TWO spelling errors, and two missed apostrophe's? Whootwhoo! We've come a long way!
I think I know what he was trying to say on that last sentence but I couldn't help but think, "What else would I be if I wasn't still a mom?" Not a Ukraine pastry maker....that's for sure!
We invited a family to join us tomorrow that has recently adopted two boys from Alex's orphanage. This is going to be interesting as Alex has virtually lost all his native language and these boys are probably barely grasping English. Oh, well. We have video games and that's a universal language....right? Unless you consider the opening sentence of this post.... which doesn't make sense in English or at least the English I know!
11:15 pm update!
Here is what I did tonight:
(Yawn)
Night All!
As far as the meaning of the sentence?
Your guess is as good as mine!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am sitting here hoping against hope that my yeast bread/desserts for Ukraine Christmas tomorrow will raise. I have one dish done, the wheat soaking for another, one chilling and hoping it will actually come out of the mold tomorrow, two raising, and tomorrow I'll tackle the rest!
I can't believe how excited Alex is! He told me he feels "sad" for me. I think he means he feels sorry for me? I've been cooking since six and have a couple more hours to go? As I've been making these dishes (full of butter and sour cream) he's been taking a snitch here and there and licking a spoon and declaring "I didn't know Ukraine food was so good!" "I have never had this!" and "This is going to be the best Ukraine Christmas ever!" Do I detect a bit of pride? That was exactly what I was going for! Some of you have thought me crazy to make all these dishes but this is what I was hoping for. I wanted him to take some pride and see some goodness and tradition from his country. To make some sort of connection with Ukraine that he can be proud of or at the least enjoy and share with others?
Here is his todays journal entry, exactly as written:
Tomorrow is Ukraine Christmas and I am very excited because my Ukrainean friends are comeing over to eat dinner with us at my house. I am grateful that my mom has me here and I dont have to go back to Ukraine ever. I am grateful that my mom is still a mom because I dont know what I am going to do without a mom.
Did you notice he only had TWO spelling errors, and two missed apostrophe's? Whootwhoo! We've come a long way!
I think I know what he was trying to say on that last sentence but I couldn't help but think, "What else would I be if I wasn't still a mom?" Not a Ukraine pastry maker....that's for sure!
We invited a family to join us tomorrow that has recently adopted two boys from Alex's orphanage. This is going to be interesting as Alex has virtually lost all his native language and these boys are probably barely grasping English. Oh, well. We have video games and that's a universal language....right? Unless you consider the opening sentence of this post.... which doesn't make sense in English or at least the English I know!
11:15 pm update!
Here is what I did tonight:
From left to right: Poppy Seed Roll, Chereshynank ( Cherry Cake Bars) Lemon Cheese Babka (two round pans) & Russian Cream Heart. (I colored it blue and if I can get it out of the mold tomorrow, plan to serve it from a yellow plate....Ukraine colors!)
While I'm posting pictures, here is Alex's special sauce for eggs...
(Brings back memories doesn't it my sister friends?)
And the special cheese I need for making Lazy Varenyky tomorrow, the Poppy Seed Filling (which I have left over and think I'll add to the Kutya instead of a CUP of poppy seeds) and Salted Pork Fat!
Tomorrow is Borscht, Lazy Varenyky, Deruny (potato pancakes), finish the Kutya (which has to cook for 3-4 HOURS) & a trip to Winco for Brown Bread!(Yawn)
Night All!

3 of my blog friends said something...:
can't wait.
Those desserts look fabulous! I hope all goes well tomorrow.
I hope you do a commentary on how each of the foods tastes and which ones you can't wait to make again. I am really curious about what that salted pig fat is going to turn into. Bon Appetite.
PS Did I ever mention that you are amazing and Alex is a lucky dude.
Post a Comment