Thursday, March 10, 2011

Alex Update!

Get this!
Yesterday Alex told me at least FIVE times how GLAD he was we took video games away.
He spent his free time driving his remote control car, riding his long board, practicing karate kicks and laying on the ground on his back and then flipping himself up to his feet. (Kambree informed me in dance this is called a Kip Kick. Whatever it is, I couldn't do it so save my life!)
Not sure if he's trying to act happy to appease me or has some alternative motive but he's been sweet and loving and the old Alex I love and remember....
 In Spelling News:
This week Alex has words like
vein
vane
vain
Not too hard to spell but you do need to know how they're being used in the sentence to get the correct spelling. (Homophones.)  I've been reading him the definition and giving him an example of how the word is used and he- in his haste to hurry through his studying - informed me he doesn't need to know the definition, just read the word.
Hum....I argued that he DOES need to know the definition but he was convinced he did not. So, this morning  I scrambled all the words in a different order and he - of course - got a bunch wrong. He was pretty mad about it and informed me that Mr. Allred always reads them in the correct order.
Ah-ha!
So he was just memorizing the order? 
I told him to speak with Mr. A about it, and if he's giving them in order, I will too - for his pre-test tonight. I then called Mr. A (after Alex left for school) and had a chat with him about Alex's opinion that he doesn't need to learn the word - just memorize the order. He was flabbergasted that Alex wouldn't want to learn the definition.
Hello?
Welcome to my world!
The test will be scrambled tomorrow and he'll inform the entire class today.
Oh that was an evil thing  to do wasn't it??
Teeheehee.

2 of my blog friends said something...:

Just Another Day In Paradise said...

Mwahahahah dont mess with MOM

Kerry said...

That sounds like my 2nd grader! Kids are funny, good thing moms are enginuitive!

Related Posts with Thumbnails