Thursday, March 24, 2011

Austin Out The Door!

Austin left this morning on his choir trip to San Francisco. 
He's such a funny boy. He packed his X-box in his carry-on. At first I was "No way!" then when he pointed out that that curfew at the hotel was ten pm, and I- being an experienced mom - realized that there's no way you're getting high school kids to sleep at that time. X-boxing in a hotel room didn't sound so bad! It is way better than: 
a. sneaking out on the town 
b. sneaking into some girls room
c. some girls sneaking into his room
d. any other hooliganistic  activity Austin can come up with on his own!

He packed - you guessed it - gym shorts and white T-shirts. He did bring his tux for performing and his Sunday suit. I asked him what if they go somewhere nice for dinner? 
"Then I'll wear my suit." 
"Well, what if it's just jeans and nice shirt nice?" 
"Mom, if it's nice I'll wear my suit, if not my shorts and t-shirt are fine!" 
*Sigh*

He came up (his room is in the basement) wearing jeans and a nice polo shirt but before he came into my view he loudly announced,
"Mom, don't get all excited. I'm just wearing jeans because all my gym shorts are packed!" 
(Oh, he looked so nice!)

He had to be at the airport at six am. I was trying to get him to pack last minute stuff that he insisted he didn't need, like shampoo?
 Hotel will have it.  
Flip flops? 
No, I'll go barefoot. 
No, you'll wear flip-flops, what if you step on glass? Sunscreen? 
No. 
Yes. (And I tucked into his suitcase. Doubt he'll wear it but at least I tried!)
Hat? 
No we only have lame hats. 
Then I kept asking things like, do you have your contact solution? Toothpaste? Deodorant? Yes, yes, yes. I could tell he was getting exasperated but he's never traveled alone. Not to a real place. Scout camp, yes. But who cares if you don't smell good at scout camp, forget your toothpaste or run out of socks? But he's going far away and I can't run him anything he's forgotten. (Which I tend to do on a regular bases for all my bambinos!) Oh well, it's not like he's going to a rural place or the plains of Africa....right?

I hope he has a great time and that I don't get any calls from the authorities. It's not that he's a bad kid. He's just mischievous. Very mischievous and despite his six foot tall, broad build, he's still a boy. My little boy. 
*Sigh*
No one told me about this part of parenting. I can't help but think, how in the world am I suppose to let him go for two years in two years time? To perhaps some third world country? 
Good grief. 
I know. 
I'm a worrier. 
But I have this superstition that if you worry about something before it  happens then it can't happen? 
I know. 
Sick and wrong? 
The good part about my psychosis is that I realize it's wrong? 
Right? 
That means I'm not that far gone.....right?
Please don't tell me wrong. Then I'll have even more to worry about!!



2 of my blog friends said something...:

Just Another Day In Paradise said...

Thank you for preparing me for this point in my life... Thankfully I am in denial so I will never experience this separation.
But at least I was warned...

Carlin said...

One day I may have to cut and paste this to my blog. It was thoughts directly taken from my mind! And I believe that if I too worry about something then it won't happen - something else always happens, but if I cover enough of the bad ones hopefully it will all turn out good. (hate to say for the best because that is different than good) Now I'm sounding like a musical! You are a totally awesome mom is really what all of my ramblings mean : )

Related Posts with Thumbnails