Okay, so I'm trying to surprise Alex on Easter and make Paska. Or at least that is what he calls it. When we were in Ukraine two year ago during Easter (click on link to see pictures) we had some Snezhana made and they looked a lot like this:
No offense, but I would best describe them as dry cinnamon roll type dough, cooked in a large coffee can with frosting and sprinkles on one side. But, Alex LOVED them and has mentioned how much he loves them recently. So....it's time to put on my Betty Crocker moves and see what I can do.
But while researching for a recipe, Easter Cake/Paska looks more like this:
But while researching for a recipe, Easter Cake/Paska looks more like this:
What? Where's the frosting and sprinkles?
After looking and searching which involved getting a cookbook from the nice lady that bought Rylee's dresser off of KSL (that just happens to have a Ukrainian mother.) and more Googling, I think I found an explanation:
Ukrainian Easter bread, or paska, is a tall, cylindrical loaf, usually decorated with extra dough and glazed with egg. These Easter loaves have been iced, instead. Other versions of paska exist elsewhere in Eastern Europe. And then this picture:
So BOTH are Paska?
One is glazed with egg and decorative dough, the other frosted and sprinkled.
So, anyone have a good recipe?
Maybe one without rum or in metric measurements?
If not, I think I"ll just wing it and make a sweet dough, put it in a round pan, bake, frost and sprinkle!
Wa-la!
And if you would like to read about our Ukraine Easter experience. Click here.



1 of my blog friends said something...:
Wow, good luck with that. Alex has been asking for veraniky. Have you heard of that?
Post a Comment