I was bringing my mom up to speed on Alex and his issues (She doesn't read my blog. No one in my family does. Which is probably a good thing? Right?) and about him not putting away his clothes correctly and she reminded me that my brother did the same thing.
Then I mentioned that Alex is sick, mopes around, looks at me with big sad eyes and thinks the world will end and she reminded me that that is a boy/man thing. Which is true. When my boys/man are/is sick - they really can't do much but lay around and feel sick - and want to be waited on or sleep forever - whereas we girls just keep going - for the most part.
Then I mentioned that Alex is sick, mopes around, looks at me with big sad eyes and thinks the world will end and she reminded me that that is a boy/man thing. Which is true. When my boys/man are/is sick - they really can't do much but lay around and feel sick - and want to be waited on or sleep forever - whereas we girls just keep going - for the most part.
(My apologies to my one male reader....Andreas.)
But it dawned on me. Alex's issues just might be Alex's issues? And have nothing to do with being neglected and raised in an orphanage. Perhaps this is his normal? Sure he wants to pawn his issues off on his past life. With the generic, "I am meant to live in orphanage" or "My Ukraine mom was too drunk to teach me." But sincerely kids have issues. All kids, not just adopted, previous Ukraine orphans. Yet, I'm always trying to link his issues to his past. "He must act like this when he's sick because he's use to being sent to a hospital for every ache, pain or pimple." "Or maybe he can't remember to put away his clothes because of the alcohol his mother drank while he was in the womb?"
Maybe.
Or maybe he's just a man-child when he's sick and just like other 13.5 year old's that cram their clothes in any nook and cranny without a thought or care to order or their mother's feelings.
Maybe.
I still think the lying and cheating are ingrained traits that he carries from the orphanage. That's not to say my other children have never cheated. Everyone has a time or two but they learn a lesson and get over it. Whereas with X, he just keeps repeating the same behavior over and over.
His honesty issues, I think has everything to do with living in an institution in Ukraine where lying and cheating were the norm. In fact, as I look back on our adoption experience, I think the adults we associated with there lied and cheated too. The whole adoption process was crooked and full of bribery. What is normal for Ukraine - is devious and deceptive over here. Which is so hard for Alex because what was normal and acceptable there is called lying and cheating here.
In other behavior news, Austin has 11 U's. Which translates to 44 detentions. Not for fighting, swearing or poor citizenship. Nope. For tardies. Tardies? Seriously?
It will be a happy day if-and-when this child walks with his cap and gown clutching his diploma in hand!
Devree was thinking Austin's detentions were pretty funny until it was pointed out that her RIDE to school now has to leave at 6:45 each morning and stay after 45 minutes each day. Truth be told, the reason for some of Austins' tardies would be Devree. Her 1st period teacher doesn't take tardies. Austin's does. And he's always waiting on her to get out the door! Just like the whole family is waiting for her in the car - honking - to get to church.
Rylee is miffed that I wouldn't let her go to a basketball game last night. A basketball game a particular cute boy was playing in that she just happens to really like. Give me a break. She's twelve! The problem being that while on our cruise my brother in charge let her go to one. I just told her to count that as lucky because had I been home? No way. I know. I'm a mean mom. And I know it's hard to be 12 and see her 15 and 17 year old siblings going to such activities but such is life. She already gets lots more privileges and allowances then the older kids got at her age.
I am just now getting over my cold. The cold that James gave me. The cold I gave to Alex. Alex is convinced his voice has dropped because of his cold and is quite concerned. I assured him that his voice - like mine - will return to normal when this cold passes.
I really need to post pictures of our cruise :) and the funeral :(
Not sure when that will happen.
Just trying to keep my head above water right now. Get everyone where the need to go, feed 'em, keep 'em in clean underwear and remember how to log into my jetBlue computer.
That's about all I can handle right now.
But I see a light.
Maybe in a day or two I'll be back to normal.
Normal for me that is.....

4 of my blog friends said something...:
What is normal?! This is driving me crazy! Is B not able to recall ANYTHING consistently because this is his normal, or is it because he's learning a new language or because he has a learning disability? Did he seriously walk home from the bus stop with bare, as in not even socks, feet today because this is normal for him? (he walked home bare foot WHILE it was snowing, with three inches of snow on the ground) Or is it because he has FAS and doesn't comprehend nor recognize temperature? I believe that lying and being a king manipulator IS normal for B, but because of his past, which then makes it not normal? Maybe. I know you understand what I'm trying to say... I had to laugh about your male reader comment:) Andreas, you are great! Glad you could go on your cruise. Sorry again about your cute little grandma
I am sorry about your Grandma too. I am sure that if she is anything like you, they are happy in heaven to have her back home. I am excited to hear about your trip and sorry that you got sick. Tis the season. I think they put all these holidays in the winter to try cheer us up cause we feel lousy and sick :)
Something you said made me think a little bit more about where our kids are coming from. You said "called lying and cheating" Maybe even when we call what they do lying etc they still don't feel the same feeling of doom that we feel when we think someone has lied. There are varying levels of guilt that we feel when we do things wrong. I feel extreme discomfort if I realize that I didn't pay for something when I am loading my groceries in the car, enough that I march back in and go through the hassle to pay for it or give it back, but exceeding the speed limit does not produce the same effect. Maybe to them the dishonesty will never be too big of a deal. It will be like wearing unmatching socks or forgetting to rinse your toothbrush. I would like to find a way to help values sink in but maybe we are passed that window. If nothing else, I have a stronger testimony of the power of the formative years. PS I don't know how many male read your blog but there are 7 of them in this house that hear it quoted on a regular basis. :)
Hey, I got mentioned in your post and in a comment. I feel special. :) I've been very involved in my daughter's upbringing, so even though I am a little more XY than you XX's, I completely empathize. Reading your blog and other blogs help me know that there really is nothing 'normal' about an adopted kids. We do our very best, then hope and pray that when they are young adults, all of the lessons we've taught makes them amazing people.
We've got issues with clothes too. But, it's both my girls. But I Little One learns bad things from Ira very quickly and not so much on Ira's good things. *sigh*
Post a Comment