Alex has been sick recently. He has what everyone has - cough, runny nose, headache but being a man-cub, he's not very resilient or quiet about it. (Keep in mind he was sent to the hospital for every sniffle, cough or zit in Ukraine so he pretty much thinks he's dying every time he gets sick.) I've given him Ibuprofen, rubbed his back and head during a movie and I think I made him tea....once. The same stuff I do for everyone but with 4 out of 5 of my kids sick, I would get exasperated, "For goodness sake, if your head aches TAKE AN IBUPROFEN!"
He seemed to be on the mend and on Friday we went to the rec where he swam with his team for the first time that week and I got a quick work out in upstairs on the track. On the way home he turned to me.
"Thanks for being an awesome mom."
It came out of no where.
"You're welcome." I said, "Can you tell me what you're referring to?"
(Wanting to know what it was I was awesome at or should continue doing to retain my awesomeness?)
"Oh, just everything."
Fishing, I said, "Can you give me an example or tell me why you're thinking this at this very moment?"
Alex, "You take good care of me when I'm sick."
Oh.
And here, I had done so little.
Austin's asthma was triggered from his cold and he had to use his nebulizer a couple of times during our lovely week of sickness, this opened a flood gate of memories for Alex. Apparently his orphanage was sent to some sort of sanitarium where they had nebulizer treatments, mud baths and their backs pounded on? He brought up a few memories we hadn't heard yet. He mentioned how he got lot's of shots in his butt and it was one big bruise when he was in the hospital for some mysterious illness that required a month long stay. How a nice family shared his room and would share their food with him. (I can't help but conjure up an image of my little boy sitting in a hospital room all alone.) How no one ever visited from the orphanage. No one visited at all. How he was on his own and how boring it was to sit in a room all day long. (Keep in mind. often times he would FAKE an illness to go to the hospital to avoid going to school. He tells me that is why he struggles with school now, because he spent so much time in the hospital.) He told us it was just so boring and he would sneak out and go to McDonald's. I asked if he had money for McDonald's? "No, I would wait for someone to call that an order was ready and then I'd say it was mine and grab it and run out the door."
Oh, my goodness.
Anyway, during his illness this past week he was walking Ukraine memory lane more than once. I guess a warm house with people that love you, a soft bed, a mom to remind you to take some Ibuprofen (even if it's in an exasperated tone of voice), make you a cup a tea and rub your back and head while snuggled next to her on the couch watching a movie - is WAY better than what he had before.
On another note, we took a road trip to Roosevelt to drop off our old piano to my brother in law and his family the Sunday before Christmas. On the way home we were driving in white out conditions. It was pretty dang scary. I asked Alex to say a prayer for us and it went a little like this. "Please help us to live until we get home." and then upon realizing what he had said "And then keep on living after that." Ha!
In sad news, Russia closed their adoptions to US families. I shared this as my facebook status today:
Saturday, December 29, 2012
Awesome and Living
December 2nd
And this also happened this month and it was NOT Austin. I'll let you fill in the name.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 of my blog friends said something...:
Ugh. Our whole family has had it, too. Yuck. It brought back a lot of Ukraine memories. Especially the butt shots and some sort of enema?! BoyOne was worried that if he fell asleep I'd be poppin pills up his hiney. Lol. But I can see why they shipped them off to the sanitorium. Our boys cannot remember/will not cover their mouths and noses. It is sooo gross! I've been following them around cloroxing everything. BoyOne gave it to his 80 yr old ESL teacher and put her in the ER. Niiiice. As for the Russian adoption ban, my heart aches for all those kids. I worry, too, that Ukraine will follow suit. Or any other countries for that matter. I remember when Romania closed its doors years ago. That was a sad, sad day.
Post a Comment