Sunday, September 11, 2011

9/11 May We Never Forget....

All week my youngest two children have been coming home telling me about 9/11. They act as if I don't know about this tragic event? I realize for Alex this is all new information for him* - not growing up here and all but I thought Rylee was pretty familiar with the attack.
* I did talk to Alex about 9/11 last year sometime when he wanted to make an art project about the "towers that got hit by plane" only because he found it cool, like boys do when they think of war and guns and fighting - he didn't grasp the sadness and significance of the attack. I couldn't seem to get him to understand, I finally just told him he had to find something else to focus his art project on much to his dismay.

Upon realizing this is the tenth anniversary of the attacks and that Rylee is only 11 1/2, it hit me. Of course she doesn't remember! She was here but just a baby. And as much as I feel we're a patriotic, apple pie eating, American loving family, it's not something we talk about very often. (Unless you're making a cartoon about it for art!)
It was just so sad and tragic.
I think 9/11 is one of those events that you never forget when and where you were when you were made aware of it. Just like older folks that remember when and where they were when John F Kennedy was shot. I know where I was when I heard about the attacks, I was right here, sitting in my office. I had a little TV in my office then so my littles could watch PBS while I worked. I can't remember if someone called or if I had the TV on and it came across the screen, I just remember the panic and the search for my mom and brother who were flight attendants and working at the time. I know that for most of my family when they remember their when and where, it will be "When my sister/daughter, Wendy called and told me to turn on my TV."  I wrote a post about it a while back on the day OSB was killed. 

I am so glad my children are learning in school about 9/11. And I vow to do a better job of teaching them about important historical events at home.

Alex wrote this in his journal this week:
In Utah Studies we watched a movie about Twin Towers. The sad part is the people were jumping off Twin Towers and Twin Towers getting hit by a plane. I am grateful that some people survived from the Twin Towers.

His teachers this year have managed to convey to him what I couldn't get through to him last year. The horrible sadness, the loss of innocent lives, the terror of that day.

Has it really be TEN years?
It seems like just yesterday.
I feel so badly for the families that lost friends, family and loved one's that day. Some were just going to work like any other day or taking a flight. Others were trying to save those that were attacked. They rushed in without thought for their life in order to save another. I am sure there is a place in the Kingdom of Heaven for these fire fighters, paramedics and police.
I feel badly for the families that have lost soldiers who went to war because of the attacks.
How many children have lost parents? How many wives have lost husbands? Husbands lost wives? Children lost both parents? Grandparents? Aunts, Uncles?
9/11 is just so sad. So tragic and we should never forget.

We're watching footage and a documentary on 9/11 this morning. How unfortunate that when I checked out Netflix, the first movie to pop up was on the conspiracy of 9/11 comparing it to some of the atrocities  committed by Hitler.  I have to remind myself, that this is what sets the United States apart from so many other countries. Freedom of speech.

God Bless America.

0 of my blog friends said something...:

Related Posts with Thumbnails