Monday, September 19, 2011

Family Report

Bedtime Report:
Last night I snuck over to my parents to check out the leak they had in their basement. I gave everyone instructions to turn off screens, finish reading, turn off lights and get to bed at 9:30. I came home around ten and could hear muffled giggles and the scurrying of not so little feet running to their bedrooms.
I went upstairs to find that Devree, Alex and Rylee have been having tickling wars and that they are all wide awake! Alex was complaining that Devree tickled his "armpit to death" and Rylee and Devree were so wound up, wide eyed and bushy tailed!
That's what growing up with siblings should be like. 
I remember the minute my parents would leave we would grab pillows and have a pillow fight. I also remember playing chess in the hallway after bedtime with Jeff. One of us would push the board out and we'd both lay on our belly's - our rooms were across from each other - and play chess or checkers. The minute we'd hear a parent coming we'd sit up - one of us grabbing the board and slide back into our rooms. We did this all the time! 
It's memories like these that build relationships. Despite Alex's protest and armpit issues, I knew he had a blast. With teenagers, these moments are often far and few between so we just have to embrace them when they happen and hope that someday they'll happen again.

In other warm and fuzzy family news:
Alex has taken to calling Austin "Broski" as Austin has always called Alex "Broseph". 
Endearing brother names. 
(I love it but I won't tell them that. They're at that age that if mom thinks it's cool, then it's not!)

College Report:
Kambree called yesterday and shared that she has been called to be the 1st counselor in her student ward Relief Society presidency!
I could tell this freaked her out a little. It would me too at the age of 19! But she'll do great!
She is also dating a TON, loving her roommates and got a A on her first CNA test. 

Morning Report:
Today, Austin came up ready for school in jeans and a nice shirt. He approached me from behind and warned me not to freak out when I turned around.
I did of course. 
He looked so nice. 
He announced that he thinks he's going to wear jeans more and that we need to go shopping. 
(Be still my heart!)
I tried to refrain from complimenting him anymore but  I couldn't help point out how nice he looked to Devree.
Austin rolled his eyes in exasperation.
He tried to tell me that the reason he doesn't dress nice is because I make such a big deal of it. 
Please. 
I told him I was just appreciating him. He told me he doesn't like to be appreciated, how would I feel if he went on and on thanking me and complimenting me for...making lunch? I explained that if I hadn't made lunch for three years, that I would be happy to hear compliment after compliment!! (Yes, he's been wearing gym shorts and white T-shirts to school everyday for three years!) 
Besides, I'm a mom. It's my job to compliment and praise. How would he feel if I had turned around and looked at him and had gone... "Meh?" and acted like it was no big deal.
I got him there.
I think I'll wait and see how things go though before we go shopping. This could just be a one day phase. However, truth be told, this change in apparel, I think has everything to do with a certain girl. Nothing else. Amazing how a girl can change a boy. I'm just glad he's liking a girl that encourages nice jeans, shirts and yummy smelling cologne, not shaved heads, piercings and black combat boots!
Blessings I tell you.
You got to count 'em!
And yes, I had to take a picture. Much to Austin's chagrin! Not the best picture as he's eating breakfast and I of course had to snap it quick. But it's proof! Documentation! Jeans and a nice shirt! 


1 of my blog friends said something...:

Michelle said...

Nice...

Related Posts with Thumbnails