I go the following response from one of our parents after my last post. It was so full of great information, I asked her permission to share it on my blog. Each response I got from my last post gave me comfort, even if it was just to say "We have the same problem and don't know what to do either." but this response gave me hope and renewed determination to keep fighting - not with Alex but for him!
Well, I am a few more years down the line with this and I can tell
you that I have walked the moccasins and I hear your words very clearly. Part of what you are dealing with is that "out-of-body
junior high experience, but also it rings of the reactive attachment
issues (these are issues not the full disorder) and are so important to consider. You are doing so many things right and you will get through this. Mainly, he still talks with
you and that is huge. I think your sense is right, he is working
through a lot of things and he will continue to do this
for many years to come. Again, a gift that he can talk about it .
So often the social skills have not developed to the
same level as their peers and they are behind and not necessarily
growing in that area because they are working on so
many other skills, let alone the junior high thing
where everyone is wondering about the peer/friend thing anyway. It
is better that he does things alone and with the family than with
friends who are not good people while his social skills continue
to grow. He will find friends to support him and help him. They will
come just hold on. It can be forced and they
can end up with the wrong kind of friends and that can be
devastating to their lives because they do not know how
to set boundaries and they are very susceptible to their influence.
I heard a statistic once that a successful outcome in a child's life was 50% genetic and 50% friends. I didn't like that
statistic because I wondered where the influence of the mother and
father came in. You do still have a great influence and it should
not be underestimated but our voices do dim in their
ears very quickly in the year ahead. His disinterest says to me
that he does not feel skilled,and it is overwhelming to him. The
goal for him just like you sense for him is to have the satisfaction
of being responsible for the things he needs to do however so basic
even if that means getting up in the morning getting
dressed and brushing his teeth if that is his plan and
he does it himself and he is allowed to execute it that is the start. It is a tough thing to be patient with because the
expectations are growing as he gets older but without skills he will never be able to meet the increasing demands being
placed on him. It makes for a tough situation; to allow
them the time to grow and to help him still keeps up with his peers. Consistent schedule is very important for them and then teaching them joy in what they did however so simple empowers them and that increases the executive skills that they so lack
and so need to develop and with each success slowly it
starts coming and lays down those pathways in the brain. Also giving service on a regular basis can be a huge thing
for them. To give of themselves teaches them such powerful things
and is so satisfying no matter how small. So your job is to keep
the schedule consistent while he gains the skills to
govern himself and to be responsible for the things that
he can do no matter how simple. He makes the goal and
executes it. I wish their could be some magic something to all
this. It is such a day -to -day thing. It is fine that his interests are scattered just so he recognizes that he does do some
things really well and the fact he is exploring is
really positive. I am still so impressed that he will talk to you
or other adults. That says to me that he will be able to
talk to those peers when he is ready and the right friend is there.
How to be a friend is also something to help them learn
that it is a two- way relationship. School and C's are huge. I am so
proud of him! He IS working twice as hard as the others to keep up
because that is what it takes and school would certainly be the priority over all the other extra curricular activities. There are so many gaps in their knowledge that they have to
compensate for. Part of the deficit that they deal with is
persistence and you are experiencing it first hand and that is the
skill to be developed by doing the basics since it was
skipped in his early years. I have had children who have been
totally gifted and played at the highest level of their sport, and
in this case soccer. He was captain of the team, representing
his home team and school at all levels of play. Doing
the sports and extracurricular does not always transfer or become"generalized or transferred and applied to the daily life type of activities. They can help, keeps them out of trouble, but not
always and in some ways can become a diversion to the most important things. So keep it simple. If they have talents
then of course help them develop their talents. This is from the
mother who did music and sports and thought it was so very
important, but I have found not as important as the
other skills that he needs to be forming right now. Music, I learned the other day in a conference, is the only thing that works
on all parts of the brain under scan. I think this is significant
and I am going to follow up on this more. The electronics can be a
great motivator in all this but of course it has to be
controlled. All electronics off by 9:00 p.m. for sure and the
amount of time has to be monitored. Definitely not more than
two hours. More than this it wrecks sleep patterns,
which is so critical for them right now to get enough sleep especially as we are trying to make up for brain growth that did not occur earlier in life. Start small and work
up and let him feel skilled and successful in the attempts that he
makes even if they are not consistent and
diverse. Maybe brushing his teeth and his personal care is the big
one to start with then add the other things he needs to
do. Without developing these basic skills now, when he
grows older he will begin to shut down and school will become too
much for him, and he may already be doing that now.
You do not want to go there if you can avoid it and he may go
through it anyway. Protect him in school if you can. Compensation
not only should be given but also it is required to be
given to him by the school. I know an advocate for children like
ours if you do not get the backing you need. I learned
about it too late for us. Mary Hales is a neuro-psychologist and has been an excellent source to be able to differentiate between
what the child's real potential skills are and what is a result and
delay from the early beginnings of his life She is an
amazing clinician but only works part-time as she is a mother herself. She was one of the few clinicians who could really get
passed the language barrier and get some good hard
results. These children will often have big problems in math. It is because of those early beginnings, but it can be compensated
for. Again music is a huge thing that can help in many
ways. Have you considered Scouting for him? I think the mentoring of a scout leader and the relationships there could be
such a blessing in his life. It is all about setting
goals,building relationships and skills. We went to Philmont
Scout Ranch for leadership training this summer. David
is on the scout executive committee, and it was amazing to see the
leadership that they were giving to the youth and
executive skills, which is so lacking in so many of our dear children, through those wilderness activities and it was for
young people of ALL abilities. That is very
different than a wilderness program! I also have heard about a
program that Elizabeth Smart started that teaches
children how to still be respectful to adults but able
to better understand who they are and what they will and will not do
or in other words it helps them understand their
boundaries. It is called RAD kids. Funny thing to call it since
it has such a different meaning to all of us as adoptive parents. I
know that the scouts have taken that program also and
have been using it in training for their leaders to help scouts. I
will follow up with that and let you know what I find
out. If young people have a sense as to who they are and
that they have a future, even if they don't know exactly what they
want to grow up to be, and what boundaries they have
for themselves it does not matter how fast all the
other stuff falls into place because it is not a race and it will come and they will be successful. I promise. Beside he
has you as his mother and it will come.
Monday, October 1, 2012
A response to your unsettled mother heart
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 of my blog friends said something...:
Interestingly, Mary Hales is the neuropsychologist I am taking my daughter to. She was referred to me by several different and unrelated professionals and people. I would love for her to see B.
Post a Comment