Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Bad Dreams, Sad Songs, Late Moms....

So, after our bad dream talk last night, Alex showed up in my room at ten pm rubbing he's eyes and feigning he had a bad dream. (I knew this would happen after our tub talk!) I'm not sure he'd really even slept enough to have a bad dream as he had only been in bed for 45 minutes. Regardless, I knew this was my test. He told me his dream was about his Ukraine cell phone that he gave to his little cousin. I know this cell phone is weighing heavily on his mind as he gave it to her because he couldn't charge it here in America but he has since figured out how to charge cell batteries directly (don't ask-Jame assures me it's safe but I think he's going to get electrocuted!) and he wants to get his phone back. I don't even know if Kammy still has it but Alex is telling me in his dream that Ivan (whom me Skype with once a month) wants to see that he still has it and will be mad if he doesn't have it. I tell him Ivan won't care if he has his Ukraine phone or be mad if he's lost it. It's okay. Then he confesses, he wants to hear the music that he had on his phone. Oh brother. You couldn't come up with a better bad dream than this?
I medicate his lip-he has two little sores that he keeps picking and he HATES the medicine so I told him it was a good thing he woke up because he needs his medicine. Then I carry him back to bed and we lay down. He asks me to sing the song I sang when he first came last year. It's a very sad song my mother use to sing to me. I'm going to print the words in case I ever go senile (which may be at any time now!)
My child you know was a long time ago
When two little babes their names I don't know.
Were stolen away on a fine summers day
Those two little babes little babes in the woods.
They sobbed and they sighed
And they bitterly cried
Those two little babes,
They laid down and died
And when they were dead
The robins so red
Gathered strawberry leaves
And over them spread
And all the day long
They sang this sweet song
For two little babes
Little babes in the woods.
I know it's morbid. But it's the sweetest soberest little tune and my mom sang it to me and her mother sang it to her and I've sung it to all my children. I don't sing it to Rylee anymore because it makes her cry. I tell Alex this before I sing it and I could tell he understood the words more than he did before because at the 'dead' part he sort of startles. Then he asks me to sing another song. I sing one of my camp songs-Tell Me the Reason-and he suddenly turns and wraps his arms around me, tucks his head into my chest and sobs. Hum....don't know if that was to compete with Rylee's ability to cry at songs or this song really touched his heart (It's not a sad song but very melancholy-I mean really? I am trying to sing him to sleep not have a party!) or maybe it's just that I kept my word and comforted him-even though we all know he really didn't have a bad dream. Whatever the reason it was very sweet and also very short. Then he asked for another song. This time I sang I Am a Child of God and he recognized that one but I had stopped tickling his face by then and he informed he I needed to sing it one more time AND tickle his face. I did then I kissed his checks and told him goodnight for the 2nd time that night and slipped out of his room. He stayed in bed the rest of the night....whew!
This morning I got up early to attend the temple with Amy-thinking we'd be home around our regular exercising time. Nope, we were late. Very late. I had left my cell phone on in my locker just in case there was an emergency-not thinking to turn the ringer off-and I had a nice little sticky note on my locker. "Please remember to turn your cell phone off." I could see that Austin had called a few times and Devree. I quickly called, explained where I was and made sure everyone was up and getting off to school. I had told Kambree the night before where I was going but she either forgot or just didn't tell anyone.
When I got home Alex was at the door opening it for me before I could get in.
"Mom me worried you. Me think you disappear." I explained where I was and that I was just late. I got his hair combed and wrote out checks for lunch money as I didn't have time to pack lunches and then Amy and I walked the kids up to school-me carrying Rylee's mystery box book report. I was telling Amy about Alex worrying but that I guess it's good that we were late? Alex needs to know that people get delayed and that they eventually come home....right? Besides, knowing me-this will not be the last time I'm late!
Anyway...my sweet cousin and her girls are coming from St George tonight. Little do Rylee or her girls know that we bought them Hanna Montana tickets for tonight. They're going to be so excited!! So, I really should be cleaning my house and getting ready for their stay and Austin was calling inform me he was sick and he's downstairs fast asleep so I better go see what's going on with him instead of blogging away....

3 of my blog friends said something...:

Corbie said...

It's so funny how easily conditioned we are as children. My Mom was always late - as in ALWAYS - and I just came to know that she'd eventually be there and not to worry. Other friends, whose over-achieving moms were always on time, would panic after 5 minutes of waiting. I figure I'm doing my kids a favor - teaching them to have very low levels of anxiety - by being as late (or later) than my Mom ever was. :)

Christine B. said...

Love to read your notes, you are the coolest.. I messed up my blog.... cannot find a way to put my friends list on the blog to click in to it real fast.....How do I make it come back? it was so easy to get to your blog then... Now I seem to get lazy and not look in to it as I would love to.... any ideas? love ya !

Lori said...

Cute, cute, cute. "Mom, me worried you." Can't wait to see you tomorrow.

Related Posts with Thumbnails