What do the word's malevolent, malignant, malodorous, malady and malpractice all have in common?....
They are Alex's vocabulary words this week.
Wow. Could we just start with male, mall and perhaps mammal? Good grief.
This week we also started the missionary discussions. Elder Lavina (Whom we met in the mall in Kiev in April when I frantically flagged down him and his companion across the food court) came home in May and he came to translate. It went well. Our missionary's (Elder Gregory and Elder Hipwell) are a little zealous and challenged Alex to be baptized on September 12th. Alex sort of nodded but I'm not going for that. This isn't a race. He's not going anywhere. We're going to slow things down take the discussions once a week and if and when Alex is ready to be baptised then we'll go from there. I made it perfectly clear that baptism is his choice, that if he does or doesn't get baptized we will love him the same. The missionary's talked to him about the Holy Ghost and praying and to pray about the decision to be baptised. It was great to have the translator explain some of the Church words to him. Like priesthood and what exactly baptism is (Alex thought it was crossing himself and or like when we were sprinkled by the priest during the blessing of the Easter feast.) Alex impressed the missionary's when he pointed out that the man Jesus is laying his hands on in the pamphlet is the same guy that came to Joseph Smith. (Peter as in Peter, James and John) The missionary's mouths dropped open. I explained, "Well, he has been to primary for four months!"
That night I tucked him into bed and asked if said his prayers. No. He said. I asked if he'd like to say prayers with me or by himself. Myself. That was a first. So I kissed him goodnight and turned off the lights and stood outside his door. I wasn't really eavesdropping because even when kneeling beside him it's hard to understand his words but he did spend a few minutes saying his prayers and they didn't seem as rushed as they have been recently. The next day while combing his hair for school I asked how he felt about being baptised. "Good." he said. And that was it. Well, we will see. I want to make sure he understands and that he is joining the Church on his own accord and not to please us.
Yesterday I dropped him off for soccer practice and he was pretty concerned about when and where I would be picking him up. I told him I'd pick him up right here by the blue garbage can at six. He then rambled on about what if a car is here and he can't find me and on and on and I held his cute face between my hands and looked into his eyes and said. "Alex I love you too much to leave you or forget you, I WILL be here at six." He seemed okay with that answer and ran off to practice with his team. I ran to the grocery store and kept looking at the clock on my cell phone, I knew I needed to be on time and not a minute late. I made it with 3 minutes to spare and he skipped to the car announcing, "Me say you funny story okay mom?" And proceeded to tell me through words, pantomime and sound effects about kicking the ball so far and tripping one of his team mates. I'm sure it was funny but I didn't really get why but I laughed along with him all the same. He then said "Practice great!"
I had talked to his teacher during the day and she mentioned that he had been upset with a boy that had been bothering him and that he very clearly and agitated said "STOP TOUCHING ME!" to this boy. The teacher told him that he was in the right to tell this boy to stop touching him. I asked him about the incident on the way to soccer practice. He told me this boy always pokes him and touches him. I asked "Why do you think he does that?" Alex said "Cause he's annoying!" Annoying? Not bad word usage for just four months in the country!
I also made fudge yesterday. Kambree and I had a need for fudge so I just made quick microwave fudge and introduced Alex to it. I wasn't sure how he'd like it as he's not a big chocolate fan. He was concerned that I didn't put it in the oven and bake it and surprised when I gave him a warm spoonful but quickly told me after tasting it that he likes it and he could eat the whole pan. I told him he may have two spoonfuls or he will get sick so he instructed each of his siblings as they approached the fudge "Mom say two spoons."
Then last night when heading up to his bath I asked if he needed me to come in and wash his hair and make sure he's using soap. "No!" he said. Then he changed his mind. "Mom, you shower me?" "You want me to come give you a bath?" "Yes." I told him to get the water started and I'd be up, then while bathing him I asked "Why do you want me to give you a bath?" He shrugs. Then I said "It's nice to have someone wash your back isn't it?" "Yes." he says. I think he just hasn't had enough touch and love in his little life. I scrubbed his hair, washed his back, chest and limbs and then told him I'd leave so he could wash his boy parts (he stays covered up under a washcloth while I'm in the bathroom with him). He told me "You no see my little thing." I said, "No I will not look at 'your little thing'." and then I told him the proper name for his "little thing" but he said he doesn't like that word and just wants to call it his "little thing" I had a hard time not laughing right on the spot but I suppressed my laughter until I got out and shut the door. Yes, I know this is probably something he would be mortified to know I was blogging about but it's just too dang funny!
He's some more Alexisms:
Alex: My sheep says..
Me: Your sheep?
Alex: Yes, my soccer sheep.
Me: Do you mean soccer coach?
Alex: Yes, my soccer coach.
Then I explain what a sheep is and he starts to giggle.
Alex: Me hot. Me take off uhh.... (pointing to shin guards on his legs after his soccer game)
Me: Okay, you can take them off if you can tell me what they're called.
Alex: Uhmm.....shits?
Me: Close. SHIN guards. Shits is not a nice word. It's a swear word.
Rylee: (laughing hysterically and rolling on the blanket next to him!)
Then last night while he's sitting on my lap while I was TRYING to teach/go over/make some sort of explanation of a few of his vocabulary words, out of the corner of my eye I could see him looking at me with this penetrating, glassy look. Really deep like.
Me: Alex, why are you looking at me like that?
(Assuming he was struggling with my explanations-heaven knows I was struggling to come up with them!)
Alex: Cause I loves you.
They are Alex's vocabulary words this week.
Wow. Could we just start with male, mall and perhaps mammal? Good grief.
This week we also started the missionary discussions. Elder Lavina (Whom we met in the mall in Kiev in April when I frantically flagged down him and his companion across the food court) came home in May and he came to translate. It went well. Our missionary's (Elder Gregory and Elder Hipwell) are a little zealous and challenged Alex to be baptized on September 12th. Alex sort of nodded but I'm not going for that. This isn't a race. He's not going anywhere. We're going to slow things down take the discussions once a week and if and when Alex is ready to be baptised then we'll go from there. I made it perfectly clear that baptism is his choice, that if he does or doesn't get baptized we will love him the same. The missionary's talked to him about the Holy Ghost and praying and to pray about the decision to be baptised. It was great to have the translator explain some of the Church words to him. Like priesthood and what exactly baptism is (Alex thought it was crossing himself and or like when we were sprinkled by the priest during the blessing of the Easter feast.) Alex impressed the missionary's when he pointed out that the man Jesus is laying his hands on in the pamphlet is the same guy that came to Joseph Smith. (Peter as in Peter, James and John) The missionary's mouths dropped open. I explained, "Well, he has been to primary for four months!"
That night I tucked him into bed and asked if said his prayers. No. He said. I asked if he'd like to say prayers with me or by himself. Myself. That was a first. So I kissed him goodnight and turned off the lights and stood outside his door. I wasn't really eavesdropping because even when kneeling beside him it's hard to understand his words but he did spend a few minutes saying his prayers and they didn't seem as rushed as they have been recently. The next day while combing his hair for school I asked how he felt about being baptised. "Good." he said. And that was it. Well, we will see. I want to make sure he understands and that he is joining the Church on his own accord and not to please us.
Yesterday I dropped him off for soccer practice and he was pretty concerned about when and where I would be picking him up. I told him I'd pick him up right here by the blue garbage can at six. He then rambled on about what if a car is here and he can't find me and on and on and I held his cute face between my hands and looked into his eyes and said. "Alex I love you too much to leave you or forget you, I WILL be here at six." He seemed okay with that answer and ran off to practice with his team. I ran to the grocery store and kept looking at the clock on my cell phone, I knew I needed to be on time and not a minute late. I made it with 3 minutes to spare and he skipped to the car announcing, "Me say you funny story okay mom?" And proceeded to tell me through words, pantomime and sound effects about kicking the ball so far and tripping one of his team mates. I'm sure it was funny but I didn't really get why but I laughed along with him all the same. He then said "Practice great!"
I had talked to his teacher during the day and she mentioned that he had been upset with a boy that had been bothering him and that he very clearly and agitated said "STOP TOUCHING ME!" to this boy. The teacher told him that he was in the right to tell this boy to stop touching him. I asked him about the incident on the way to soccer practice. He told me this boy always pokes him and touches him. I asked "Why do you think he does that?" Alex said "Cause he's annoying!" Annoying? Not bad word usage for just four months in the country!
I also made fudge yesterday. Kambree and I had a need for fudge so I just made quick microwave fudge and introduced Alex to it. I wasn't sure how he'd like it as he's not a big chocolate fan. He was concerned that I didn't put it in the oven and bake it and surprised when I gave him a warm spoonful but quickly told me after tasting it that he likes it and he could eat the whole pan. I told him he may have two spoonfuls or he will get sick so he instructed each of his siblings as they approached the fudge "Mom say two spoons."
Then last night when heading up to his bath I asked if he needed me to come in and wash his hair and make sure he's using soap. "No!" he said. Then he changed his mind. "Mom, you shower me?" "You want me to come give you a bath?" "Yes." I told him to get the water started and I'd be up, then while bathing him I asked "Why do you want me to give you a bath?" He shrugs. Then I said "It's nice to have someone wash your back isn't it?" "Yes." he says. I think he just hasn't had enough touch and love in his little life. I scrubbed his hair, washed his back, chest and limbs and then told him I'd leave so he could wash his boy parts (he stays covered up under a washcloth while I'm in the bathroom with him). He told me "You no see my little thing." I said, "No I will not look at 'your little thing'." and then I told him the proper name for his "little thing" but he said he doesn't like that word and just wants to call it his "little thing" I had a hard time not laughing right on the spot but I suppressed my laughter until I got out and shut the door. Yes, I know this is probably something he would be mortified to know I was blogging about but it's just too dang funny!
He's some more Alexisms:
Alex: My sheep says..
Me: Your sheep?
Alex: Yes, my soccer sheep.
Me: Do you mean soccer coach?
Alex: Yes, my soccer coach.
Then I explain what a sheep is and he starts to giggle.
Alex: Me hot. Me take off uhh.... (pointing to shin guards on his legs after his soccer game)
Me: Okay, you can take them off if you can tell me what they're called.
Alex: Uhmm.....shits?
Me: Close. SHIN guards. Shits is not a nice word. It's a swear word.
Rylee: (laughing hysterically and rolling on the blanket next to him!)
Then last night while he's sitting on my lap while I was TRYING to teach/go over/make some sort of explanation of a few of his vocabulary words, out of the corner of my eye I could see him looking at me with this penetrating, glassy look. Really deep like.
Me: Alex, why are you looking at me like that?
(Assuming he was struggling with my explanations-heaven knows I was struggling to come up with them!)
Alex: Cause I loves you.

4 of my blog friends said something...:
Spoon fudge IS the best! Glad he agrees! "Annoying" is Kylee's favorite word! He is SOO funny! Great that you document all these moments for later. Give him hugs from us!
precious!
That post was absolutely adorable. I love crying and laughing at the same time. Can't wait to be invited to the baptism. Yes, I know I'm jumping to conclusions, but I know it will eventually happen.
Something tells me that Alex isn't going to like that you journaled about his 'little thing' some day. He's going to swear he called it something else! ;)
Post a Comment