Monday, September 28, 2009

Samuel, Prayer & Bathtub Confessions...

3rd discussion with the missionaries tonight.
At one point the missionary's were talking about keeping the Sabbath Day holy and what kind of things we do on Sunday. Alex told them how he and Rylee watch Book of Mormon video's when they're ready for Church and just waiting. He went into elaborate detail (and pantomiming) about the video they viewed last Sunday about Samuel the Lamanite who stood upon the wall and preached to the people while people shoot arrows at him and how none of the arrows hit him. He told us how cool that was and how he wishes he could do that!
Me: Um....have people shot arrows at you while standing on a wall?
Alex: Yeah....cool!!
Me: Alex I do not want people shooting arrows at my son!
Alex: It's okay Mom, I be invincible! (Or he could have meant/said invisible!)
Me: (Sarcastically) Oh, in that case, then that will be fine, you can be Samuel the Laminate.
Alex: No, never mind, I be Jesus.
Me: (Saying nothing as I wasn't sure what to say.)
Alex: (Turning his face to the ceiling) Just kidding Jesus. I want to be X-man.
We all cracked up!
We have a new Elder this week. Elder Hurly from Indiana. Elder Gregory is now a zone leader. Connor came to translate, again. Thank goodness.
Sometimes Alex just floors everyone with his knowledge of things. Like why do we read the scriptures? Alex raises his hand high "So we can learn about Jesus." And then in the next breath he's going off about the ice he (pantomiming) slurps through a straw (Slurpee) and how he got four different flavors. Which really had nothing to do with anything we were talking about.
While I'm on this post about Alex's spirituality, Saturday I think he had a break through.
Let me give you some back ground: Rylee is an amazing Wii baseball player. Apparently she beats almost everyone including James. So Saturday Alex and Rylee are playing and Rylee's kicking his butt and he walks off and refuses to play. Rylee comes in exasperated and tells me what has happened. I asked Alex to come in and tell me what happened and he stands there with his head hung low and eyes starting to water. I pull him onto my lap and ask him if Rylee was cheating. No. If Rylee was doing anything wrong. No.
Me: Then, what are you being Alex?
Alex: Poor sport
Me: How does that feel?
Alex: Bad
Me: How does Rylee feel?
Alex: Bad
Me: And I feel bad when my children feel bad.
He resolved to try harder and be a better sport. (We've had this talk a few different times but rather than me yelling-like I have in the past-I tried to be very calm and understanding which I am finding works SO much better with Alex than raising my voice!)
Later we were having lunch and I asked who would like to say the prayer. Of course no one volunteers immediately a few beats pass and Alex raises his hand. In his sweet broken English prayer he asks "Please help me good sport and no cry." This is the first time Alex has EVER prayed for anything he needs help with without me whispering it in his ear. And he did in front of everyone. Whootwhoo....I think he's getting it!
Sorry-I just took a break to get Alex bathed.
It seems after the sweet spirit that the missionary's bring he likes me to help him in the bath. (And in all sincerity I think he's figured out it's the only time he has 100% of my attention!) He's very talkative tonight. He seems to open up the most when I'm scrubbing his little body. I'm going to attempt to tell you what he told me tonight. Keep in mind 75% of this is in English the rest in pantomime.
Tonight he asked me if we're going to 'get a child from Ukraine for Halloween-just for fun?' (He's been reminiscing lately about his visit here last October and we've been discussing Halloween costumes a lot!) Jokingly I asked him if he wanted a brother or a sister. Another sister he said. Then I told him that I think I have all the children I can handle and it wouldn't be very nice to bring someone over and send them back to Ukraine if we couldn't go adopt them and give them a family. I asked if he know when he came last October that he would be getting adopted or did he think he was just on a vacation? A vacation. How would he have felt it we hadn't been able to adopt him? Bad he says. Then I asked how he felt when he realized we wanted to adopt him. HAPPY he said and makes his joyous whoohoo sound. Then he shared with me me how he would cry after he went back to Ukraine. He would cry that he wants his Mama. His teachers would just wave him off with their hand and act non-caring. I asked if he was worried that we wouldn't come. Yes, he says.
He then has a solution about getting a child from Ukraine" for fun" for Halloween, we could get a mentally challenged child that doesn't understand! (He does this by scrunching up his face and acting odd.) Then he takes his thumb and puts it in his mouth and rocks back and forth. This takes me back for a second. I've read about institutionalized kids that self comfort this way, we've never seen him do this but I imagine he has witnessed it time and time again while living in the orphanage. I asked if lots of kids did this in his school? Yes. Why do they do it? Feel better. He then tells me, "I do it when afraid-in night" and then he again shows me by rocking back and forth and sort of biting on his thumb. I asked if anyone bothered him in the night? (Not really wanting to know if anyone did but knowing I needed to ask.) No, he said. (Sigh of relief on my part.) He then says, "bad movie behind mine eyes". Oh, a bad dream? Yes. Then he went on about how he would wake up and think everyone or thing was a monster. I then asked, did you do this rocking when you were little? Yes and when 8 and 9 and 10. So pretty much up until we adopted him. Did anyone comfort you and make you feel better? No. Then he thought about that for a minute and shared "Sometimes my friend Sasha or Artem." Your friends would comfort you up and tell you it's okay? Yes. His friends also tried to comfort him when he would cry for me after he went back to Ukraine and he in turn would comfort his friends when they had bad dreams.
I asked if he ever rocked in America and he just sort of cast his eyes downward-like he didn't want to tell me. I told him if he is ever afraid in American he just needs to come to me-no more rocking and thumb sucking. I am just down the hall. I will help him feel better and comfort him. He then with a mischievous grin asks me, even if he sees a big mouse? (He knows I hate mice!) I said yes, even if you see a big mouse but Alex you are not afraid of mice. I know he says...
and with that I left him to wash the parts he takes care of himself and then invited him to come down and watch Mary Poppins with Rylee before bed time. He is in there now laughing and frolicking with his siblings.
Wow....some days it's hard to realize just where he's come from, what he's been through, how he handled things, but it's so nice to know he's home and safe.


1 of my blog friends said something...:

Jen said...

I need to have more talks like this with Nastia. There are so many things we don't know about their upbringing.

Related Posts with Thumbnails