Friday, December 25, 2009

Crazy Christmas

What an odd Christmas this has been. It was just weird not having James and Santa. In an effort to make the day special I took the kids to see Avatar in 3-D. (Trust me, this is a special thing to do because I am a cheap skate and would much rather wait for movies to hit Red Box when I can watch them in the comfort of my own home, in my jammies, pause them for bathroom breaks and pay a dollar instead of $63!)
Little, did I know Alex had NEVER seen a 3-D movie. He was in awe. At first he whipped off his glasses and exclaimed, "Mom, things coming at me!!" I tried to explain. He put the glasses back on and kept trying to grab things and saying "WOW!" Luckily by the time the show got going he calmed down some. He did duck a few times when things came rolling his way. But afterwords he told me it was "Awesome!"
At one point during the show I realized that he probably wasn't able to read the subtitles when the gigantic, blue people are talking in their native tongue so I leaned over to whisper the words to him and he told me "I know. I read Mom." Oh....okay. Good. Guess all that reading I FORCE him do do each day is paying off!
He handled Christmas pretty well. I actually think it was easier for him then the other kids as he has no idea what he's missing. I did have to ask him to stop asking questions, to just go with the flow, relax and enjoy the day. I told him I would make sure that he wasn't left out of anything and I would take care of him and he doesn't need to worry about everything so much. (Geez...just be a kid!) You see, I explained how the day would go and then minutes later he'd ask me "We open present now?" "Why we go Grandmas?" When we this, why we that etc. The minute anyone would say the word present he'd be in the room asking if we were opening presents? If he had a present? Acting like we're trying to leave him out or secretly open presents behind his back. I know I sound so impatient and uncaring but sincerely, I go over things and then he just turns around and asks questions that I've just covered so at one point today I just said, "No more questions today Alex." That improved my patience dramatically!
He LOVED everything he did get to open. His new pj's and erector set last night and this morning his Jackie Chan movie collection. (Although he says it Chackie Chan) This morning I gave everyone movies to help us get through the next five days until James arrives home. In addition to the "Chackie" collection we got the last three Harry Potters, Hoodwinked and The Holy Grail. So I think we'll have a Harry Potter marathon sometime this week.
The kids decided to open their sibling gifts this afternoon. Well, actually Alex was begging and pleading and ready to burst and everyone else voted with an "I don't care" so they opened them-which is another good thing as Devree gave Alex a Kenectics set that makes about 40 different models and he's entertained himself with them this afternoon. Then we went to Grandma & Grandpa's for dinner and they gave Ry and Alex new DS games and the big kids I-tune cards so I'll be banished from my computer tomorrow as they download all their newest songs. Nice thing is they all have similar taste in music so it's not like getting $25 dollars, it's like getting $75 dollars in music!
My mom made me a fabulous faux fur throw and gave me a Christmas Around the World Ward Cookbook. I found a recipe for Borscht and told Alex and his eyes lit up. That's the one thing he says he misses from Ukraine so I guess I'll be trying my hand a Borscht in the near future. I wonder if beets are a seasonal item?
Everyone seemed to like what they got from their siblings and grandparents. Alex gave Kambree a makeup kit and funky leggings for dance, Rylee gave Austin clothes for basket ball and a pair of boxers in an X-box 360 tin, Kambree gave Rylee real 14K gold earrings with her birth stone and Austin gave Devree the same makeup set that she helped Alex pick out for Kambree (and that she coveted-yes I am so very sly) and sweats for basketball.
Alex also gave Midnight two toy mice. The package said To:Cat From:Alex. He did all his own "folding" (a.k.a. wrapping) and labeling. Spelling cat is much easier than Midnight. The cat and the dog have chewed on the mice all day and I almost screamed thinking I saw a dead, wet mouse in the hallway when we got home. (Great! First creepy Edward, now dead mice!)
Speaking of Edward, Devree brought him down last night during the Christmas Eve party and set him behind Grandma and I while we were washing the dishes, my mom turned around took one look at Edward, screamed and hit him with the pan she was drying. So Edward had a little plastic surgery to re-attach his midsection. My mom felt so bad but I think Edward/Devree got what they had coming for them!
Well, I need to go tuck my babies in and turn off their DS games. I'll post pictures tomorrow if I ever regain control of my computer.
Merry Christmas to all of you in blog land!
And
Happy Birthday Jesus, our Lord & Savior.
~Wendy



5 of my blog friends said something...:

Heidi Gail Richhart said...

Wendy! you are such a great and awesome mom and the best!

Stacy said...

Sounds like you guys had a fun time at the movie. Your Santa Christmas will be awesome because you waited for James.

Unknown said...

I laughed about the Edward thing! My grown up girlfriend has a life sized Edward so I know just what you are talking about. So hilarious.

Lobos Family said...

At Disneyland, in the 3-D shows, Katya did the same thing - kept grabbing at stuff! It was funny!

Lori said...

I couldn't comment on your Christmas letter for some reason, but I read it and loved it. I'm so glad I got to know you through this adoption. You are a good friend, and I know I can always count on laughing while reading your blog.

Related Posts with Thumbnails