Saturday, December 19, 2009

Crazy week....

Wow, what a week! Christmas is crazy enough but add to that two deaths, one visit to the ICU, and a new child?
So, Tuesday Rylee came home telling us how a friend of hers father had died. This little girl lost her mother three years ago and now her father. Rylee and her cute friends Ashtyn and Rachael assembled and made cookies and cards and delivered Christmas gifts. Friday night I took Rylee to viewing and we lucked out finding her little friend out at the drinking fountain and Ry was able to give her a big hug and tell her how sorry she was. We were able to avoid the actual casket and all the adults-of which we knew no one. I feel so bad for this little girl. Both parents gone at the age of nine.
Then my cute niece, Emily was admitted to the ICU due to complications from her diabetes. She was with us last week recovering from her tonsillectomy. She went home last week Friday and was having such a difficult time eating that her blood sugars went incredibly high. Kambree and I visited her at the hospital yesterday. She was doing better and should be home today.
Add to this that Devree's best friend Jasmine's grandma died. Now Jasmine's grandma isn't you run of the mill grandma, she was raising Jasmine. Jasmine's mom has zero custody (not sure what the story is there-I've head drugs but I don't know) and her Dad lives out in Bluffdale and allows for Jasmine to live part time with grandma. Grandma sees to it that Jasmine gets to church and has always looked out for her. Signing her up for junior jazz, seeing that she gets braces, piano lessons and all in all being her mother. She called me just last week asking if she could pay me for driving Jasmine to basketball practice. (Dev & Jaz have played on the same team for the past five years and I always take Jasmine as grandma has been unable to drive for years. She use to offer to drive but she was so frail even back then that I was afraid to have Devree in the car with her and I insisted on driving.) Her grandma was ninety one.
Devree, Rylee and I attended her funeral this morning. Jazzy has been staying with us since her grandma died Wednesday. Without disclosing too much her home life with Dad isn't the best and Dad's not the most involved parent and without grandma I don't know what this little girl will do. She has incredible young women leaders that love her and we've spent hours talking about how we can help Jasmine and what her options are.
Trust me, if this child goes to live with Dad exclusively she will fall through the cracks. Jasmine is here about two to three nights a week already and almost every other weekend so maybe she'll stay with us? What's a few more days and mornings? What's one more kid running around here?
Okay, confession time here. I'm not the coolest, funnest, most nurturing loving parent on the planet. I never aspired to have so many children under my care. I fought hard the feelings I had to adopt Alex and I certainly didn't imagine myself opening my heart and home to a thirteen year old girl. I'm often impatient and over whelmed. I am not the model of motherhood. And Jasmine may very well decide this is not the place for her. Devree and Jasmine may decide being sisters is not like being best friends. People keep asking what is going to happen and I honestly don't know. I just want her to know she has a safe place to be and that our door is open.
I ran into Nanette (Save A Child Foundation) after the funeral (Jasmine's grandma lives in her ward) and when she heard Jasmine had been staying with us and may stay with us on a more permanent bases, I joked about how at least I wouldn't have to teach her English!
So on to lighter, safer subjects! Alex finally earned all his money for his Christmas shopping. We went out today (nightmare-last Saturday before Christmas) and got it done. He had about $4 left over after buying Kambree's gift and somehow managed to find something for James and I with what he had left. He told me on the way home if he had more money he would buy everyone a present. I don't doubt that.
He was excited to get home and "fold" his presents. Wrapping is sort of like folding...right?
Last night was the Johnson Christmas party. How sad that I only see my cousins once a year. For most it's been two years as last year the party fell during a dance concert and we didn't make it. It was a nice get together. Alex is loving all this celebrating and just soaking it up! He fit right in playing with everyone. I was over Christmas bingo and I was worried he'd get frustrated trying to read the words but he did okay and he loved the little toys he got from the fishing pond. He's coloring in his new color book right now and telling me all about the Incredible Hulk.
Kambree's at work, Austin is with Hayden, Devree is wrapping presents and Rylee is in the tub singing Christmas carols. Jasmine is with family and she doesn't know where she'll land tonight. I just asked her if she doesn't land here, to call and let me know where she'll be staying.
This morning I went to breakfast with two of my girlfriends. Sad thing is that we've been trying to get together for lunch for two weeks and we finally resorted to breakfast at 8:30 am on Saturday. It was a lovely breakfast and right now I should get off the computer and snuggle up in my new knock-off "snuggie" and watch the new movie Jan R gave me all while wearing my new fuzzy pink slippers and then crawl into my bed with my new flannel sheets that Jan B gave me. Oh how I love girlfriend gifts!

3 of my blog friends said something...:

Stacy said...

YOu know, my family took 2 children on that would have slipped through the cracks and they are still a huge part of our lives and are contributing citizens. If you can help her, you guys rock and just might save her.

Michelle said...

:) P.S. You are the model of motherhood!

Lobos Family said...

Wendy,

You have inspired me to copy you (I hope you don't mind) and post an annual update on my blog. Even though it is December 21st, I still have intentions to mail out those Christmas cards sitting on my counter and it would be so nice to not have to print out a letter to go with it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails