I need to remember to NOT blog when I'm upset.
My last Alex entry was written right after the bath incident. It's sort of therapy for me to just let it all out but after I cool down and re-read and although every last bit of it is TRUE, I realize that I am only writing about the things that are irritating me and not all the good and great things he did all week.
I didn't write about how last week he comes in and sees me making dinner and asks if he can help or he just pitches in with the dishes when I'm covering for another child because she's been at rehearsals for hours on end. I didn't write about his sweet journal entries that talk about how grateful he is to have me because I "tell him the rite thing to do." or how he invited a non member friend to scouts. I didn't blog about how he took control of his friends and their out of control wrestling situation, informing them all that there is no "holding around the neck" or "hitting in the balls". And I also didn't write about the "lock down" at the elementary on Tuesday. The kids were kept on "lock down" for two hours because some hooligans were running around and the police were chasing them. I was at the school thirty minutes early trying to pick up Rylee to get her over to the high school for dress rehearsals and condemned to stand out in the cold on the front steps, and wait. Alex, from his 6th grade class window could see that I was there and after waiting and hour and 15 minutes (45 minutes after school was suppose to let out!) they opened the doors to the shivering parents and let us in to get our kids. ( I was grabbing mine and all my neighbors kids!) Upon seeing Alex you could see the relief on his face. Later he told me how glad he was to see me when school let out, and that he knew he was okay because his mom was standing outside on the steps. (Whew, I didn't even know he could see me!) All those things happened this past week too.
Yesterday we took a trip south to see Kambree dance during a football half time. On the way we stopped for Happy Meals. (A real treat at our house since we rarely do fast food.) All the kids thanked me profusely but then I got a "Thank you a lot mom!" from Alex. He really loves chicken nuggets and fries.
On the way home, Rylee fell asleep and Devree was coming home with Kambree in her car and so, it was just Alex and me riding home. We started talking about his friend Bogdan arriving in America this week and I asked him what sort of advice would he give Bodgan about living in America? The first two things he would tell him is:
Listen
and
Obey
The best part about living in America?
Church....sometimes
and
Going to school and making friends.
(I had to ask at this point. "So....it's not having a family?" "No mom, family is #1!" and he says it in such a way that it's almost like "Duh, mom! Like you had to ask?")
The hardest part about living in America?
Learning English
Learning Rules
The thing he misses most about Ukraine
Friends in the orphanage AND THAT IS ALL!
Then this evening I sat down at the computer to check emails and see if my friends had blogged and he came in to read me his extra sentences in his journal. Afterwords he kissed me on the cheek and then smashed his cheek against main proclaiming "I love you so, so much mom."
So, many thanks for the hugs, advice and sympathy on my last post. I need to remember to give credit where credit is due. He is still learning. He is still very, very, young emotionally and socially despite his outward appearance and his opinion of how big and tough he is.
And bless his heart....despite my "grrs" and crazed-mother-clean-up-this-bedroom fit, he still loves me and keeps on trying!

2 of my blog friends said something...:
ok this post made me cry... especially the school incident. That is one very special boy you have there, my friend.
I am at fault too for not seeing all the great things Katya does and only remembering the things that are really annoying! Why is that - we seem to have great memories for all the bad stuff but don't remember all the good stuff that well...
Post a Comment