Sunday, November 21, 2010

First Snow Storm of The Season!

Good thing we got those leaves raked!
Last night when the snow storm hit, my children insisted on running outside barefoot. Proclaiming this a first snow storm ritual that they do every year.
Really?
Why don't I remember this?
I was hesitant because Alex has had a cough, and Rylee came home from school sick on Friday so my first response was "No. Of course not!"
Then I gave in with a "Well, if you get sicker....don't complain to me!" And with that they went running into the frozen abyss! Squealing with laughter.
Seriously, this is not a tradition that I am aware of. Apparently the first snow storm has always happened with me NOT home? Because they are insisting they do this every year and yet, I do not recall this insane tradition in the least!
They were back inside with frozen, throbbing feet before I could locate the camera but here they are defrosting their feet against the fireplace. (We have one of Devree's friends joining in - just in case you're wondering)
Crazy kids!

Then they put on boots and coats and Austin came home from work and they had an impromptu snowball fight.
And this morning, this is what we woke up too:
Ahh....snow....winter....
I wouldn't mind it if it could just be warmer, (like 70 degrees) less messy (no tracking it in all over the floor, wet boots, and soggy coats and hats piled in front of the fireplace to dry) and the roads would always be dry and safe - it's scary enough having teenage drivers - adding snow to the equation only adds more grey hair to my head!
Regardless, winter is here which means I will be inside! Where it's warm. If I must venture out, I will be perched upon my heated car seat with the heater blasting. 
And to think, I come from pioneer stock??




4 of my blog friends said something...:

Just Another Day In Paradise said...

WOW! Y'all got dumped on! I cannot believe you have snow before Thanksgiving! It looks like Christmas time there! GORGEOUS!
If only you had an ocean there, i'd move west in a heartbeat!

Kambree said...

yes mom is is a tradition!

Christy Hinkson said...

It is probably a tradtion started by your pioneer ancestors who had walked their shoes off and had no choice but to walk in the snow with bare feet :) I am sure that they are laughing at us when we do pioneer treks and suffer to try to see how they felt. They are up in heaven saying "don't be ridiculous, get in your warm house and sleep in your soft bed!!"

Heidi gail walls said...

All i can say is "It's beggining to look alot like christmas."

Related Posts with Thumbnails