You know... I just don't watch the news.
It's so depressing.
I do read KSL news here and there but sometimes world events happen and I'm clueless.
I see the news at the gym every morning but unless there is captions, I don't really catch much.
I do visually see the 7 day forecast and I was well aware of little snowflakes posted for today.
I was slightly worried as Kambree is driving home from college today so imagine my surprise when my gym buddy this morning tells me that this storm-a-coming is suppose to be the worst in a long time! (I've heard worst in the last three years as well as the worst in the last 100 years!)
What?
When?
So I get home and start checking weather websites.
Emailing Kambree.
"When are you leaving for home?"
We find out she has a lab at 5:20 that she cannot miss as she's "teaching" on a cadaver (What the heck? Not only the dead body part but this is her first year of school! Anatomy. So, so glad I never went into medicine!)
James sends off an email to the administration as Kambree tells us the only way she can get out of class is if the President of the college cancels class.
Meanwhile I get the kids out the door to school. Tell the little one's to bundle up as I cannot pick them up afterwords (but my BFF Amy is covering for me there) as I will be at Devree's first basketball game. About an hour south of here.
Amy calls and tells me her son's swim meet is canceled.
I text Dev. "Any news about basketball being canceled?"
No answer.
(Good girl. She's suppose to leave her phone in her locker.)
I call the high school myself.
YES. Basketball GAME is canceled but they will instead have practice. Grrr...
I check in with Kambree.
No notice of class cancellation .
Everything I'm reading says the storm will hit us around 4 to 5 pm. With Kambree not leaving school until 6. She's for sure going to hit it.
Here is our texting conversation.
This is a serious storm. It's coming from the North so you have some time. But if you can't get out of lab, you might have to stay for T-day.
I might have to st? (I tend to type too long on my email to her text and the past part of my message gets cut off.)
You might have to STAY. It's that serious.
Oh that message freaked me out.
This is a serious storm. It's coming from the North so you have some time.
But if you can't get out of lab, you might have to stay for T-day. It's that
serious.
This is a serious storm. It's coming from the North so you have some time.
But if you can't get out of lab, you might have to stay for T-day. It's that
serious.
:(
Then her face book post said "As much as I love you college, I do not want to spend Thanksgiving with you!!"
I called the college presidents office (yea, look at me...going straight to the top!) and they told me they were making a decision to cancel classes or not and would have a decision by noon.
About an hour later Kambree got this email:
Effective Immediately
All further classes are canceled today due to Severe weather storm.
If you are traveling North, please leave as soon as you can to be home by 3:00 p.m.
James and I like to think we shut down the school! (Teeheehee!) Then we got the same message numerous times from different college people and well wishes for our daughter to travel in safety. (Because we'd been emailing and calling!)
I am happy to report at 2 she made it home. At three Dev's bb practice was canceled and now all my little hens are home to roost in the coop!
May we all just hunker down and ride this out! I hear it's hit up north where my friend Christy is. She's keeping me updated via email. (As long as she has power! She's worried she should have bought hot dogs for T-day to roast on the fire in the event they loose power!)
My brother had a two hour safety course this afternoon and was told to go to bed and get sleep because he'd be up all night behind the plow. (He works for the city of Riverton in their street maintenance.) He called very concerned about Kambree driving home but luckily we had already made a ruckus and she was on her way home.
I have a pot of jambalaya in the crock pot and we plan to stay home and watch movies and play games.
Stay home. Stay warm and stay safe everyone!

4 of my blog friends said something...:
Look at you shutting down a college campus! Impressive!
hopefully everyone was safe..
Was it everything you expected it to be and more?! Wait, let me answer that... THAT was the storm of the century? THAT was the storm we will be talking about this Thanksgiving and all future Thanksgivings? Get out! I need a 'storm of the century' once a week through winter and I will be a happy happy girl... and I hate the snow! WEAK! =)
So glad everyone is okay. Remind me why I would want to move north???
Post a Comment