The other day I was tickling Alex's face and he asked me if I remembered tickling his face and singing "I Am A Child Of God" to him during the hosting program?
Yes, I remember.
He sighed.
"Alex, how did that make you feel?"
"Like the best love ever."
"Really? Did you know then that I would be your mother someday?"
"No."
"Well, how did that make you feel?"
"Very sad."
"So, you felt the best love ever and sad all at the same time?"
"Yes."
He's been learning how to play I Am A Child Of God on the piano and perhaps that and the face tickle brought this memory to mind?
Whatever it was, it was a sweet moment.
We're going hiking (as in putting everything on our backs and marching into the wilderness) tomorrow. Please wish me luck. I'm not really the outdoorsy type. James (aka Nature Boy) is though and he has wanted to do a trip like this for years. I promised to not complain and be a good sport but I am not packing, preparing or cooking. I am just going along for the ride. James has been true to his word and taking care of everything. Last night he fitted me with a backpack, sleeping bag and mat and gave me a bag of food to carry. I still have to pack my personal stuff and am struggling with the idea that we'll be wearing the same clothes for close to three days. Yikes.
Alex LOVES to hike and was very helpful attaching all the girls gear to their backpacks last night. He came up to me tonight and told me "Mom, don't worry if you get tired..." I finished with, "You'll carry me?" "No, I will carry your pack!" I assured him that I'm tougher than I look. But I can tell he is not convinced.
We've experienced a few growing pains in our home and not from my two littles who are growing like weeds. Life lessons come at all ages and there are some lessons - as hard as they are to learn - that I would rather teach now then later. Perhaps preventing them from moving home with 3 kids and a spouse later? Or never moving out ever and living with us into their forties? One was money related, the other spiritual related. We're still struggling but we have good kids. They'll figure it out and they'll be better because of it.
Today is the 4th of July. How grateful I am to be an American. I always thought I was patriotic & grateful for my country but until I spent six weeks in Ukraine, I had no idea just how much I truly love the United States. I am so grateful for this country and the promises it holds for me and my family. When Alex first came here he aspired to drive a cab. A cab! Because in his world, owning a car would be the end all of dreams and what better than to drive a car around all day getting paid for it? He still likes cars - cool, fast expensive cars - but he's set his sights a little higher as far as an occupation. Despite his aversion to school and studying he actually mentioned going to college last week. Yes.
I am also grateful to the man that has made the most impression on me in my life. My dad. A real life nephew of my Uncle Sam. Happy Birthday Dad!

4 of my blog friends said something...:
What a great post!! I used to backpack growing up and loved it. Not sure I could do it now though. But actually, I'd LOVE to trade you places right now:) Thanks for making me laugh. I hope our boys outgrow a few of their 'aspirations' someday. You and Alex give me hope. Also, totally agree with learning lessons now as opposed to later in life when the stakes and consequences are so much greater. Take care!!
As always, I love to read your posts. You have an amazing attitude and are an amazing mom. Your kids will realize the mom part as they get older. It happens to everyone, especially as they begin to spread their wings. They'll all amaze you in time. :)
I know that I keep mentioning that you are an amazing Mom. I keep thinking that you should teach lessons or something to those of us who don't tickle our kids faces enoogh.
Thanks for another inspiring post.
I just remembered a funny thing one of my girlfriend's sons said when he was 5 (and he is biologically hers, born and raised in the U.S.). He said to her, "Mom, someday I hope I grow up to be a bad guy." ?!?! She was a little worried, but he's doing alright now as a ten year old, no obvious 'bad guy' behaviors yet:)
Post a Comment