So....I mentioned that Alex has been on a "I love you" kick a couple of posts back? It's sweet and all but after 5 or 6 hugs and one long "hand hold" during homework correction, then another, "Mom, I need another hug" interruption while working on the computer, I had to nix it. I mean really?
It's great to be loved but 5 or 6 hugs in a two hour period?
It's great to be loved but 5 or 6 hugs in a two hour period?
That's just too many!
Isn't it?
And it's not a quick hug, it's a FOREVER HUG with kisses on the cheeks and proclamations "Mom, I am going to give you your best hug of the day!" or "Mom I love you so, so much!"
And it's been going on for a LONG TIME and getting to be MORE and MORE. (I keep thinking he'll get over it but when?)
And it's been going on for a LONG TIME and getting to be MORE and MORE. (I keep thinking he'll get over it but when?)
So, I told him how much I love him but that we don't need to hug so much. It's just not normal.
Oh dear.
I hope I have done the right thing.
He handled it well but watch him never hug me again?
Oh yikes.
But seriously.
If they made a Moby Wrap for 13 year old's - and I had the strength to carry him in it - I'm sure he wouldn't mind....as long as no one else was watching.
I know he missed out on a lot of hugs and kisses as a small boy but, I think I've pretty much made up for them in the past 2.5 years. Yep. Pretty sure I have hugged him more than some of my other children combined! I like to hug but every 15 minutes?
Anyone else have this issue with their adopted children?
(My apologies to those that have anti-affectionate kiddo's - I know it sounds like a pregnant lady complaining about morning sickness to the lady that can't conceive and for that I am sorry.) But for the others with love bugs like mine? What did you do? Did you have to draw lines or come out and talk about it? I just thought it would wear off. It is wearing, just not off!
Please comment!
~Wendy
PS (Whew, he came in to ask me a question and wrapped his arm around my shoulder and placed his cheek against mine - so I don't think I need to worry about the "Will he ever hug me again?" issue as stated above. However, that would technically be a hug - only in sideways fashion - wouldn't it? So, I guess my "We should hug a little less." talk may not have done any good?)
~Wendy
PS (Whew, he came in to ask me a question and wrapped his arm around my shoulder and placed his cheek against mine - so I don't think I need to worry about the "Will he ever hug me again?" issue as stated above. However, that would technically be a hug - only in sideways fashion - wouldn't it? So, I guess my "We should hug a little less." talk may not have done any good?)

4 of my blog friends said something...:
Oh, yikes. I KNOW!!!! Really? A 15-second hug. I have to pry him away from me. Getting so annoying. I know that sounds terrible, but it is.
I love it! He's such a sweet kid.
We are on the other end of the spectrum and would do ANYTHING to get to a point where we had to stop the hugs. As it stands, trust is still a huge issue and hugs are few and very far between. A lot of that is being a teenager, but most of it is due to things all of us parents know about.
YES!!!!
My 13 year old (son) is all over me ALL the time! I keep telling myself that I will miss it someday but I don't today. I have ZERO personal space. My bio daughter asked me if I notice that every time I leave a room, they all follow....yeh, I notice. My 10 year old is pretty "much" with the hugging thing but the 13 y/o is worse. I have not been able to say anything to him about it but I'm CRAZY!!!!!!!!
One of my biological kids is like this and it drives me crazy. I feel terrible admitting that, but after being mauled by little children all day, I want to sit on the toilet by myself!!! With her, it is a sensory issue. She has SPD and is very needy in the touch department. I'm guessing that touch is also her love language? I joke (sort of) that if she could be attached to me still, she would be. Anyhow, maybe it's a little sensory related?
Post a Comment