Last night was Alex's choir concert.
Yes, I took pictures and video but sadly, you will not be seeing any.
Why you ask?
Well, remember my new iPhone?
Remember how Alex has his own iTouch?
Well, last night right after the concert I needed to run and show a house. Alex - in all his technology wonder - showed Devree how he can FIND me on a map with his iTouch. That' pretty cool, right? My new phone has a Find My Phone feature and because we all have the same Apple account, Alex found this app and showed Devree where I was. Neat, right?
No.
Not so neat.
As I'm leaving the house, I notice my phone is back to the set up screen?
Weird.
I knew the battery was low - maybe I just need to plug it in?
Nope.
I came home to find this email. (My phone is not working at all. Receiving calls/emails/message. Nothing)
Remote wipe of Wendy Richhart’s iPhone has started.
The remote wipe you requested for Wendy Richhart’s iPhone started at 6:27 PM on October 18, 2011.
All media, data, and settings are being permanently erased from Wendy Richhart’s iPhone. This process cannot be stopped.
If you retrieve your iPhone after completing a remote wipe, restore it from a previous backup using iCloud or iTunes. If your iPhone has been lost or stolen, be sure to contact your carrier to suspend your wireless service.
Yes.
My son had WIPED out my phone. (A feature for if you lose your phone and don't want anyone to see your information.)
My son had WIPED out my phone. (A feature for if you lose your phone and don't want anyone to see your information.)
What a nightmare.
He just pushed a button that he didn't know what it did and POW! Contacts, calendar, pictures, videos, reminders, apps, everything GONE!
I am so proud of myself for not yelling - but I was not happy. I showed him the email and sent him to bed. (It was bedtime anyway.)
It took me HOURS to fix it. HOURS. And I needed to write an offer and was expecting a text and didn't have my clients numbers because they were lost on my phone.
Oh my gosh.
I almost started to cry.
(I am pretty sure Alex was crying already.)
He must have been praying because miraculously, I was able to get all my contacts back after an hour. Not sure how that happened and then another hour later, my calendar suddenly showed up. I lost all the pictures and video of Alex's concert, reminders and apps.
It was very late before I got to bed.
This morning I called him down and had him show me what he had done. He already knew the severity of his actions - he was bleary eyed and sad.
I told him that I just can't have this happen. My work hinges on my phone. I don't know what to do. What does he think I should do?
He suggested that he shouldn't have an iTouch?
I agreed and took it from him.
As sad as he was, he never said, "Sorry.". I pointed this out and about ten minutes later when no one was around he asked me if I could look into his eyes. I leaned over the counter and looked right into his eyes and he's voice wavered as he told me "Mom, I am really, really sorry."
He suggested that he shouldn't have an iTouch?
I agreed and took it from him.
As sad as he was, he never said, "Sorry.". I pointed this out and about ten minutes later when no one was around he asked me if I could look into his eyes. I leaned over the counter and looked right into his eyes and he's voice wavered as he told me "Mom, I am really, really sorry."
((Sigh))
I plan on giving him his iTouch back in about a week with some rules and restrictions.
By the way, he did really well at his concert. (Well, as well as a group of 7th grade boys can.)
I did receive some shocking news though. Apparently Alex ASKED OUT a girl! He asked Jackson Smith if she would "go out" with him? She explained that she cannot date until she is 16 so he then stuck out his hand to shake and said "Friends then?" - I got all this from Jackson's mom.
I did receive some shocking news though. Apparently Alex ASKED OUT a girl! He asked Jackson Smith if she would "go out" with him? She explained that she cannot date until she is 16 so he then stuck out his hand to shake and said "Friends then?" - I got all this from Jackson's mom.
Alex didn't know we were friends.
When he saw me talking with her - the look on his face was perplexed and he came up and insisted we leave quickly. We did and I casually asked him if he knew I was friends with Jackson's mom?
No.
I hear you asked her out?
Yes.
Where were you going to go?
((Shrug))
Have you asked out other girls?
No.
Then we proceed to have a big talk about girlfriends and dating on the way home.
I told him that I figured having a girlfriend at the orphanage was a big deal? Yes. That it meant you were older, mature - a big guy? Yes. I told him how I bet it was so important to have someone that cared about you - especially in an orphanage where you didn't have a family to do that? Yes. Then I explained that he is much too young to be dating and having girlfriends and that he does have a family to love him and take care of him. He agreed. We also talked about being the kind of guy that girls want to date and that PARENTS want their daughters to date - not the kind of guy that dates everyone and has girlfriend after girlfriend and starts dating at an early age.
The talk went really well - I could tell he was pretty uncomfortable about it and really was ready to agree with just about everything I said.
Sometimes I feel sorry for Alex.
It's got to be hard to have a mom that eventually finds out everything.
I think that reason alone will curtail him "asking out" any other girls.
((Sigh))
Sometimes I feel like my life should be a sitcom.
"Tune in next week for the next adventure of Alex and his trusty side kick....Mom."

3 of my blog friends said something...:
OH NO!!! I am sorry your phone was wiped, that is just the biggest bummer.
You got your calendar back too?? Wow, you WERE up late then! When something like that happens I say "One thing at a time, one thing at a time, one thing at a time" over and over in my head while trying to breath calmly. I flip out so bad I can't even think unless I take that approach. :)
Alex was lucky it was already bed time and he didn't do it first thing in the morning!
Oh no! I am crying for you about your phone!
About the asking out- ummm how do you think so quickly!?! I had this same conversation this morning with my kiddo, but it wasnt nearly as intelligent. More like "What do you mean you want a bf!?! youre 10! Get over it! You cant date until youre 16! Right now you need to work on becoming the best YOU that you can be instead of who a boy wants you to be and THEN a boy will fall in love with the REAL you, not a false image of who you are. Do you understand?!"
No.
Banging head. Please come teach me how to be a better parent!
Post a Comment