Saturday, August 13, 2011

MS 10K Mud Run!

Today I ran/walked my first mud run!
We were team CPK - Sara's mom (cute blond in the middle) has MS and it is her initials. So we ran in her honor. Sara did all the fundraising so I just had to pay my entry fee and figure out what to wear. (That is harder than you might think!)
We brought goggles and Sara supplied us with headbands. When I was getting out my swimming goggles, I found these snow goggles and could see so much better and they were soft so I decided to wear them. 
Alisa didn't wear this scuba gear but given her height and the depth of some of the obstacles, she might need it!
TC, Alexis, Alisa, Me, Ben (Sara's brother), Sara, & Jenny (Sara's sis-in-law)
Here's the 28th Ward shot, can you believe I got to church with all these crazy women and one (fit) young man?
Here is our official "BEFORE" shot....
The starting line.....
The first mile was a run and it was just as dusty and dirty as it appears.  It was actually refreshing to hit the obstacles. We did some climbing one's where you had to get over a flat wall, climbing a mesh net, climbing a tall wall with slats and these did not involve mud.  Then there were lots of muddy one's where you crawled on your belly in muddy water up to your neck under army-guy mesh, up and over logs with a ditch of mud about three feet deep, some balancing one's where you walked across a rope holding on to an upper rope, walked across logs, all with lovely mud pits at the bottom. 
The worst was the rope monkey bars. Alexis made it across and made it look so easy. Poor Alisa needed a boost to even grab the rope. We mostly all just fell in. I got the first rope and then SPLASH right in - over my head in muddy water. 
Of course there's lot's of dusty running in between (I was pretty much just a fast walker at this point) and then the last few obstacles we had our photographers there. (Alisa's cute daughter, Jessica & friend)
This is a good action shot of Alexis.
If you want to see my attempt, see video #1 below. It is not flattering. (We decided this was a poorly thought out obstacle. You need to run and get a hold of the bottom of the rope to swing but you can't due to the hill before the ditch)
Here we all are after. (You'll notice we're missing TC? He ran ahead and made it through the whole thing in one hour and eight minutes!)
Then there were a few muddy puddles to cross.
And another crawl on your belly army-guy thing.
Here we are at the top of the big slide:
Sliding down
And we went all the way under. That's the back of my head!
The goggles were actually very useful! I kept mine on the whole time as they doubled for sun glasses.
Getting out was always the trickiest part. It was so slippery. I found turning around and scooting on my behind was often times more effective.
There is video of this one too at the bottom.
So muddy & wet!
One of the last obstacles was a ten foot jump into a pool of muddy water which washed us off pretty good.
Crossing the finish line:
I think we finished 142 out of 272 teams?
One hour and forty-seven minutes.
I love this candid shot. You can really see how proud we were of ourselves. Me especially.
Another after shot:
And getting hosed off by the fireman!


Swimming!

Next time I would wear black (but I planned on throwing away this old, white, gym shirt anyway) and I really need to get better at running. Having only run a 5k in May and half heartily running once-a-week-ish since, I was not conditioned to run a 10K. I walked more than I would have liked.  
(Glad we were on a DGAP -Don't Give A Poop - team.)

But all in all? 
I did it!
And I lived!!
And yes, I'm a little proud of myself.

Now I'm going to take some Ibuprofen and a nap. In that order!


4 of my blog friends said something...:

Lisa said...

That looks like SOOOO much fun! Way to go.

Lori said...

Never heard of a mud run. Looks kinda fun??

Lori Steadman said...

I'm so hurt I wasn't invited.

Stacy said...

You should be proud of yourself. That is awesome and it looks like you guys had a fun time.

Related Posts with Thumbnails