Tuesday, August 23, 2011

My New Job?

Last night Austin approached my about why we didn't go out to eat more often? The cost of course. Seven people eating out really adds up. 
(Funny he should bring this up when James and I are currently trying to re-vamp our budget and not seeing eye to eye on how that is to be done.)
Then Austin asks why his dad isn't an OBGYN? (He's best friends dad is and apparently they go out to eat ALL the time.)
Before I can really answer - because I'm not really sure what to say, "Uh...because he didn't go to medical school?"  he magnanimously  informs me that he is going to put his brain powers to use and think of a new job for ME! (Apparently, he doesn't think real estate is cutting it. Which right now, really isn't. Not for lack of effort on my part but due to the terrible market we're in. It seems when folks call I'm always telling them their home is not worth what they thought, when I do get the listing, it sits and sits, and then on the off chance that we do get a buyer, it doesn't appraise and kills our deal. OR there just isn't a decent house out there for my buyers to buy. I am working. I'm just not getting paid. I know it will get better. I can be patient but apparently my kids are done waiting? The want to go out to eat?)
So Austin is trying to consider my talents and think of a new job for me and Alex comes in and suggests that I "Sell milk to cats." 
Really?
"Yes. Cat's like milk."
Then he thinks a little harder.
"No, you could be a lawyer. Lawyers make lot's of money."
(From selling milk to cats to a lawyer? That was quite a jump.)
I explain I cannot be a lawyer as I do not have a law degree and I'm not sure I would make any money selling milk to cats. Cats don't usually have a lot of money.
Austin -still trying to think about my talents - suggests I could be an actor. (Aww...thank Austin.)
Devree shots that idea down with "Actors don't make any money. They're poor."
Alex: comes up with "Well, you could fix things and get money."
I look at him baffled. 
I don't know how to fix things. 
Alex upon seeing my look  of bafflement, realizes the flaw in his thinking, "Well, you pay someone else little money to fix things and then make big money." 
That gives Austin this idea, "Yeah, like a sweat shop. You could run a sweat shop."
I am shaking my head in disbelief. But it gets better...
Devree pipes in with "You could work at Hooters." 
To which Austin adds - with a straight face I must point out,   "Oh no, she can't do that." (Whew, I am thinking, at least he has some sense!) "Everyone would want to sit in her section. She would be bombarded and all the other waitresses would hate her."
Please. 
I do realize the absurdity of me working there as does Austin.  
(I think Devree was just throwing out the craziest idea she could think of!)
Rylee suggests cooking for someone and then better yet, I could be on Master Chef!
And then the flood gates of ideas open! I could be on game shows! Minute To Win It, Who Want To Be A Millionaire, Deal or No Deal. 
The possibilities are endless. I could just go from game to game making hand over fist loads of money!
They are so excited - talking about how easy it would be to win at these games. How well they would do. How they would always go for the million dollar grand prize.
And then I shooed them out of my room with the lure of cake down in the kitchen and family night to follow.
Funny kids....



3 of my blog friends said something...:

Stacy said...

That is too funny!

snakeriverwalton said...

You can inform your children that my dad was an OBGYN and we did not go out to eat very often.

Michelle said...

Way funny kids!

Related Posts with Thumbnails