Monday, June 29, 2009

I'm scary....

Last night Alex was telling me that our king size bed was so big that all our family could sleep in it. Mom, Dad, Kambree, Austin, Devree, Alex & Rylee.
I was trying to teach him the difference in the size's of beds. Mine and Dad's bed is king size and his is queen size. He looked at me with his puzzled look and said "Me girl?" (Like I have him sleeping in a girls bed?) No, I explained yours and Kambree's and Devree's and Austin's bed are queen size beds, mine and Dad is king size bed, it's just the size of the bed. Rylee sleeps in a twin size bed. Then it was as if a light dawned on him, "Rylee princess?" (Does Rylee sleep in a princess size bed?) Which actually makes all the sense in the world considering everyone else sleeps in king or queen a twin should be a princess bed and maybe a double should be a prince bed! His assumption made me laugh and I think from now on twin beds will always be referred to as princess beds!
Rylee and Alex have decided to rotate turns sleeping with me while James is at work-with me begging off ever so often to sleep by myself-anyway last night was Alex's turn and he started talking about what things are scary.
Alex says "I'm scary" and he makes thunder sound effects. "Oh, you are afraid of thunder?" "Yes."
I told him I'm afraid of birds. "I'm no scary birds" was his reply. Then he told me "I'm no scary spiders, snakes, monsters, aliens, vampires...." one at a time.
So I asked: Well, what are you scared of then besides thunder?
Alex: I'm scary Dad working.
Me: You're afraid when Dad is away at work.
Alex: (Nod)
Me: What else?
Alex: I'm scary Mom not home.
Me: You're afraid when I'm not home? Every time?
Alex: No, twenty five weeks.
Me: You're afraid when I'm gone for twenty five weeks?
Alex: Yes.
Me: Well, Alex I have no plans to go away for twenty five weeks and when I do go away I always come home. Dad is safe at work and he comes home too. He laid his head against my shoulder and sighed.
Then after me asking about a few more scary things I found another, he is afraid to go to the dentist. (Well, who isn't?) He wants the dentist to give him a shot and put him out for his dental exam. I told him the dentist will fix his teeth so cold drinks don't hurt his teeth and that I will be there with him and hold his hand and our dentist is very nice but I don't think that helped alleviate any of his fears. We go to the dentist on Thursday and I know he has cavities-we were told in October from the free dental visit that they're mostly in his baby teeth and they'll eventually fall out and if they're not hurting him then to just wait-but I know he has at least one in his permanent teeth and possibly more so he's defiantly going to need some work. I have a feeling this is going to be traumatic.
The fundraiser Saturday was fun. It's always good to see the other families and hopefully we raised enough money to bring the next group of kids over this fall. Amy and Mary did a fabulous job organizing this event. Rylee and I were walking across the park while helping set up and she was telling me how lucky she is we adopted because not only did she get a new brother she gets to go to this carnival every year and hang out with all these new friends. I'm glad Rylee has such a positive outlook about the whole thing. It's funny how our circle of friends has increased since this adventure. James compared it to being out of State and finding another Mormon, when you find another family that's adopted from Ukraine you just have this instant bond.
Oh, and by the way, Alex loved Scout camp. He was sure he was going to catch a fish the second day and bring it home to cook for dinner. I told him if he caught a fish and they let him bring it home he could defiantly cook it for dinner. (Crossing my fingers no such thing happened!) He didn't catch a fish but he did get to shot a bb gun and was pretty excited about that. He also spent his money on junky toys. (Which I need to point out was his OWN money, I gave him $3 the first day and he came home and gave me back "Moms money" and had spent his own-I'm not sure any of my other children have ever done that?) He and Brach both bought little plastic swords and he and his cousins and brother have had many fencing matches on the trampoline. Austin has had to glue the swords back together more than once. Alex mentioned when he's eleven he gets to sleep in a tent for scouts. He seems pretty excited about that. I was telling James about Alex wanting to bring home a fish to cook and he's decided that they're going to have a boys fishing trip when he gets home-so much for my luck in not cooking fish!
We start swimming lessons today. Alex is pretty apprehensive about it. He told me through pantomiming that he cannot do the back stroke. I assured him that going to swimming lessons will teach him to be a stronger swimmer and he'll learn new strokes but he was pretty sure he is going to choke and sink to the bottom of the pool. Finally I told him that I would be watching his swimming lesson and if he started choking and sinking I would jump in and save him. I think he felt better after that. He actually can swim, with a flailing kind of freestyle stroke-but he manages to stay on top of the water so I'm surprised he's so worried about this and after his success in jumping of the diving board about twenty times in the deep end, I'm even more surprised. He's taking lessons' with Rylee, Brach and Tyler so I think he'll see that it's actually pretty fun and not scary.
I got up to go to the gym today and explained to Alex last night that I would be back before he woke up but I was down on the computer writing this post when he woke up (an hour earlier than normal) and he came and sat on my lap and wrapped his arms around my neck and told me "Me sad, Mom no bed." What a funny sentimental boy.
Well, so much for going back to sleep before everyone gets up!

4 of my blog friends said something...:

Jen said...

This all makes me feel so much better, hearing all about your positive experiences. I can't wait to have these same experiences with the girls. It will be nice to get to the point that snuggling and kissing will seem natural, like it does with my boys. I am excited to have this first process be over soon.

Corbie said...

What an adorable post - and I always have at least one in my bed (usually more!) so I can totally relate. Cute cute.

Michelle said...

What a sweet boy! Can't wait to meet him! We are so excited to come and visit!

Heidi Gail Richhart said...

Wow!! i am so glad alex is getting to do alot of things and that he is doing so well. When is Alex's birthday? curious...

Related Posts with Thumbnails