Tuesday, June 30, 2009

More on Alex....

The tooth fairy came to visit Alex last night. How funny that just days ago we had the tooth fairy talk. He lost one of his very ground down, cavity filled baby molars. (Hurray!) He kept telling me that I was the tooth fairy-which is hard to deny as Rylee is winking at me and whispering "I know it's you Mom." but he did put his tooth under his pillow so even if he doesn't believe in the tooth fairy, he believes in me...right?
This morning he was elated to find a dollar under his pillow. (Thank goodness I remembered-poor Rylee she's had to tell me a few times that the tooth fairy didn't come-I always tell her "Oh, I forgot to call- she'll come the next night!"Hum...maybe that's why she's figured it out?)
Not only did the tooth fairy come but so did Alex's social security card! (Another hurray!) Getting it was an ordeal. I waited until I got his certificate of citizenship in the mail. Went into the office with my stack of Ukraine papers, birth certificates, adoption decree's etc and was told I needed a Utah birth certificate-I'd been waiting over and hour so I wasn't about to be turned away. I told the guy that I read the website and was told I only needed his Ukraine birth certificate and proof of citizenship. He went ahead and submitted my information but told me someone will probably be contacting me as he didn't think this would be approved and less than a week later....we have it in hand! I'm so glad I was persistent! I'm so tired of paperwork and I think, we're finally done!
Swimming lessons were a hit. Alex is in a beginner class and he's much larger than everyone else in his class but he doesn't seem to care. He told me "Swimming fun, fun fun!"
He's figured out that I LOVE for him to talk to me about his previous life so last night when I was tucking him in in he told me. "Me talk you big" (I'm going to talk to you for a long time.) I asked what are we going to talk about? "My family-Ukraine-my bruder." So Rylee wanted to hear too and we sat on Alex's bed and he told us about the birthday and all the gifts his brother gave him. It was very sweet. It sounds like Ivan tried really hard to make his birthday's special. I have no idea where all these toy's are, chances are they got broken or stolen in the orphanage as he didn't have any of these toys mentioned.
He and Rylee had spent some time at Toys R Us yesterday and have decided that they are going to save up together to buy some electric car that cost $270. He told me that it was too much money for his birthday. Whew-that's a relief! I'm getting worried about this approaching birthday, the timing is terrible, James gets home the day after and it's right during our run of Grease. I want to make it special but I don't want it to be so big that he's disappointed for the rest of his birthdays. Then Devree's birthday is two days later and Kambree's four days after that...all during our run!
After our "big talk" which took about two minutes I told him I needed to get to sleep. He and Rylee had pleaded to sleep with me again but I told them I needed a night off from children. (Really, I do! The night before I discovered that Alex-like Rylee-also talks in his sleep only it's in Russian so I can't even figure out what he's saying!) He decided he wanted to talk to Rylee some more and Rylee happily agreed. I told them they could talk until 10:30 and then Rylee needs to get in her bed. I went to my room and got up around eleven to remind Austin and his friends to be quiet and play tooth fairy and there were Alex and Rylee sound asleep together in Alex's room! It was very sweet.
It's also so sweet that they read together each night. Last night they were laughing and telling me about a funny part of their book-it was like they had this private joke or something. It's so good to see them bonding and becoming such good friends.
Well, Alex is up-he just made a sandwich with pickle relish, tomato and a boiled egg. Not that bad of a combination but he didn't cut up the egg or anything, just peeled it and smashed it between the bread! He's now watching cartoons-which I think is better than playing Wii as he might actually pick up an English phrase or two. I love it when he says "What the heck?" and yesterday I got a "I love you so, so much!"

7 of my blog friends said something...:

Corbie said...

The tooth fairy can be pretty forgetful, can't she? She really needs to get a day planner as she forgot us once, too :)

Jen said...

I love it! Keep it up. I love to hear the updates.

Heidi Gail Richhart said...

Love the updates! keep it up!

Michelle said...

When the tooth fairy doesn't come to our house, it's because I forgot to leave the porch light on or Paul turned it off by mistake when he got home from work. That's saved my can a few times! Sweet Rylee! Miss you guys!

Charrisse and Bob said...

I don't think the people who do the social security cards have a clue. All I took was the citizenship paper and the passports, they didn't ask for anything else. Birthdays are a bigh deal in Ukraine, bigger that Christmas we found out the hard way. When nadiya had recieved a few presents she was asking where the rest was. She was happier when Christmas came around.

Lori said...

Quinn knew who the tooth fairy was, so when I'd forget to put money under the pillow and he'd tell me, I'd say, "Go get a dollar out of the change cup."

Unknown said...

I love reading your updates. I am so glad to hear that Alex is fitting right in. He wouldn't be normal without a few rebelious moments now and again. Right?

Related Posts with Thumbnails