So we had a crisis. Lex can't ride a bike...yet. And I don't know if he's just ultra competitive or if he sees my children and thinks "Why don't I know how to do this? Where is my childhood? Why don't I have a bike?" But after walking Ry to school. (He and Ry rode scooters and I walked the dog) We came home and he attempted to ride. He had moments of success but they were fleeting. I balanced the back, pushed and ran along side but after getting all the way around the block, his eyes fill with tears and his chin quivers and he gives up. I - of course - am consoling him with words he cannot possible understand. He won't come in, he won't let me type out my English sentences and translate them on the fabulous web program we use to communicate on. He just cries. I try to distract him by jumping on the trampoline. Me, jumping! Nope, he doesn't see this as an outrageous and brave thing. He won't even look at me let alone join me. So, I awkwardly carry him in, he doesn't resist but he doesn't cooperate either. I sit him at the computer and tell him how long it took me to ride a bike, how hard it is, how it took Austin almost a year. Nothing makes him feel better. Finally I just pick him up and rock him in the recliner with his legs hanging off to the side. I think perhaps I can comfort him by singing a song? What song? I don't know anything Ukrainian so I sing the first song that pops in my head. I Am A Child of God. I make it to the "has given me an earthly home with parents kind and dear" and now we're both crying. Me, for a boy with no parents and him in frustration. I feel as if he's trying to cram a life's worth of childhood into two weeks. He finally calms down and turns to the Game Boy. I get him a drink and the jelly beans he asked for at breakfast (I know. I'm comforting him with food but what else can I do?) and I make charades about me taking a shower. He nods.
After my shower he's feeling better and after much convincing on my part he agrees to go shopping. We went to Shopko and he wants to man the cart, which isn't so bad except he has only one speed....fast!!
We find him some shoes. (4 1/2 as opposed to the 3's he came in) a pair of jeans, a shirt with a am/fm radio as a bonus (which is obviously the reason he picked it) swim trunks ($1.25) a Ninja Halloween Costume (he didn't like all the fluffy stuff I had) and a Nike T-shirt (Clearance to $1.90). He really wants a back pack . and they just happen to be on clearance for $5 so I buy three more for my children and/or for friend birthday gifts. If I told him how much something cost (like the Nike backpacks that were $55) he seems to comprehend too much money. In fact he points to the $14.99 price tag on his Payless shoes and worries they're too much money.
When we leave (by now he's saying "Doma" over and over) I have four large bags. He insists on carrying them all to the car. He won't let me carry anything. Which reminds me of another way cool thing he did yesterday, my mom stopped by while we were having dinner. I invited her to stay and she was dishing up her plate and Lex jumps up and gets her a chair from across the room. What a gentlemen! Somehow the orphanage has managed to teach something I've been unable to teach my own offspring. Respect for elders and gentlemanly manners!
After Shopko we went to Costco. I'm sure he's thinking we Americans our glutenous now. He keeps asking if this is all one store? We start with lunch. I thought he might like the polish sausage. He does but cannot finish it and the cold "Coca-Cola"hurts his teeth. Did I mention he needs a lot of dental work? I'm not dentist but I can see at least two or three cavities with my inexperienced eye. I heard that the Foundation is trying to get the orphans a free dental exam and cleaning, I'm thinking I'll be calling my dentist to see if he has any humanitarian hours of work he needs filled? How can I possible send him back with hurting teeth?
While at Costco he sees some kids with Heely's on. He gets so excited. I tell him I have some at "doma" and so when we get home he helps me in with the groceries and bags and then we rush off to find the Heely's. He looks so sad when he sees that they're too big. Not that much too big but he's almost ready to cry. The only thing I can think is that in the orphanage you must have to wear clothes and shoes your size or smaller? No wearing anything too big? (That would explain his shoes, flood pants and two size too small t-shirt.) I convince him to wear them anyway. Now, I've been through four kids and the trauma involved in learning to Heely and it's no easy task. He goes outside and within minutes comes back in shaking his head and taking off the shoes. I hurry and type and tell him it's hard and takes practice but he won't hear it. He asks if he can go on the scooter. (Thank goodness he's picked up riding the scooter relatively easy.) Sure I say. 10 minutes later he's running through the house."Mama, Mama" and he pantomimes bicycling. He wants me to come watch. He's done it! He makes it all the way around the block and he's beaming and sweating and just so pleased with himself. He jumps off the bike and wraps his arms around me and squeezes so tight. Then he tells me to stay on the porch and I proceed to watch him go around another five times! At one point I sneak in and call my mom and she goes out to cheer him on. (She just lives down the street and on the same block.) and he stops and jumps off the bike and hugs her too!
I - of course - am cheering and yelling each time he rides by and he probably thinks I'm crazy but that's okay. My children tend to think the same thing. Wow, what a great experience!
I brought the lap top out to the porch and told him how proud I was of him and how he should be proud of himself. He nods and then it's off to check out his new am/fm radio. I think tonight he just might crash....I know I will!

1 of my blog friends said something...:
And he wore his helmet- I'm so proud!
Post a Comment