Sometimes I think I over think things too much! In an effort to avoid going crazy waiting for James to get home and get our home study going I focused on getting Lexy's Christmas package off. With the help of my nephew Tyler, I bought a little hot wheels race track, a few race cars and a cool looking motorcycle. In order to fit the race track (which mind you is small not full sized or anything) in to a box , I was using a box that holds a case of paper and these three small items just didn't fill it up adequately. So I was off on my quest to find light weight Christmas things to fill the box. I bought a box of candy canes, a cool airplane/glider for him to put together, a chocolate orange, some Chapsitck, colored pencils & sketch pad and assorted Christmas candy.
Then I got this brilliant idea to send the book "Twas the Night Before Christmas" and translate each page into Ukrainian. In hindsight, not the best book as I'm not sure how some of the poetic phrases translate like "the moon on the breast of the new fallen snow..." or "More rapid than eagles his courses they came...." anyway I start translating, and I find spelling errors in the book, a few punctuation errors (keep in mind I am not an English major-as many of you can attest who have followed this blog for any length of time) and then the kicker was instead of Donner the reindeer was named Donder! What the heck? Where was this book printed? China? I flip to the back and sure enough!
Anyway, I translated it to the best of my ability, (print a disclosure that this is a poem and may translate funny) wrap everything in fun Christmas wrap, packed up my box and get it ready to send.
THEN I go back and re-read the sending packages tips on the unofficial Save A Child Blog and it says this: More importantly (and sadly so), the gifts will cause envy and jealousy in the other orphans, which often leads to emotional and physical harm to your child. This could translate into resentment towards you for sending it.
Oh great! What have I done? I then re-think what I've sent, scale my box down with only the hot wheels cars, airplane, colored pencils a few candies and of course the translated book. Besides the book, the other things he can hide in his pockets. I don't want him to get beat up over my package!! Good gravy! Throw in some shirts he had that were in the laundry when he left to cover all my brightly wrapped packages and tape it shut with about half a roll of packing tape and label it "orphan care package" and draw a cross on it. (As per tip #12. It will help if you draw a religious symbol, such as a cross, on the box. Next to it, write 'Christian Humanitarian Package' or 'orphan care package'.)
So, I'm off to the post office and the line is forever long. I am also mailing out my yearly Thanksgiving card that I send every November to my clients, except this year I ordered WAY too many cards so I'm sending them to everyone I know! So I have to push my boxes along with my foot as I wait in line as it's just way to heavy to hold.
I finally get to the front of the line, fill out the customs form where I put that this package is humanitarian aid, disclose everything is used and worth nothing, pay $25+ something for shipping to the Ukraine and guess what? It will be there in 6-7 days! Not weeks! Days!! Now in my box is a letter with strict instructions to not open gifts until December 25th. That's a sweet thing to do to an orphan don't you think? Send him a gift, that he might get beat up for for getting in the first place, then make him wait five weeks to open it! Maybe I should hope it does get lost in the mail or confiscated by some corrupt postal worker!
Monday, November 10, 2008
The Christmas Package!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 of my blog friends said something...:
What do they say about the best laid plans?
you are too funny - great entertainment to read. Maybe because I understand and relate to your waiting and wondering...in the mean time, keep blogging.
Post a Comment