We just finished up with McKay, our social worker, next step is immigration on Monday. She told me something another mom does when writing letters and I thought I'd try it. Below is the letter I wrote to Alexey, then translated into Ukrainian and then I copied the Ukrainian words back into English to see how they translate. Keep in mind this is the second letter that I tried to write clearer than the first and yet when you read the final translation, you may be laughing out loud like I did. And also keep in mind I've sent about nine letters already, without doing this....
Original Letter:
Dear Alexey,
We have met with the social worker and we are officially approved! Now we wait for her to mail us back the required documents. We then take them into immigration and get an appointment for fingerprints. I understand it will take about a month to six weeks to get through this part and then we give everything to Yuri. He starts the translation of all the documents into Ukraine.
I learned something very important today. I learned that when I write you letters I should translate them into Ukraine, then copy and paste the letter back into English to see how it translates. I'm afraid I might have sent you some very crazy letters in the past. I promise that my letters made sense in English but they sure translate weird into Ukraine. I'm sorry if they've been confusing.
Ukraine Version:
Шановні Alexey,
У нас зустрічався соціальної працівник а ми існують договори затверджено! Тепер таке завдання треба було чекати її до пошта нами що запізнілий необхідні документів. Ми то просто яких у імміграційну конкурентів, стати році було оголошено призначення на відбитків убивці. я розумію знадобиться близько місяця шосту тижнів одержувати від неї пройшла ця частина потім що хоч нам передати все, щоб Юрій. Він вступить у перетворення всіх документів у Україна.
Знаю щось що украй важливо сьогодні. що коли Я ставити жирну вами листів Треба перекладіться яких у Україна, то екземпляр і минуле лист запізнілий у англомовному варіанті побачити як легко переводить сенс. важливі завдання визначено Я могла б посланий вами досить божевільний листів накладалося вето. присягаюся мусять витримувати мої листів зваритися глузд у англомовному варіанті але хіба певний перекладіться фатальний у Україна. то я засмучений чи they've є сплутання.
Dear Alex,
We met with social workers, and we approved! Now we'll wait for her to mail us the necessary documents. Then we take them to immigrate and obtain appointments to detect fingerprints. I understand it will take about a month to six weeks, through this part and then we give everything to Yuri. He began the translation of all documents in Ukraine. I learned something very important today. I learned that when I write you a letter I would like to implement them in Ukraine, then copy and past the letters back in English to see how it translated. I'm afraid I can send you a crazy letter to the past. I promise that my sense in English, but they are confident that surprising move to Ukraine. I am sorry if they have been deceived. He probably thinks that his new mother is a nut job! "I'm sorry if they have been deceived?" What the heck! I keep thinking of all the translation I've done, not just his letters but when he was here. No wonder he looked so puzzled sometimes. Poor little guy. Who would have guessed so much could be lost in translation. |

1 of my blog friends said something...:
Instead of thinking his mother is a nut job, I think he thinks his mother is the best kind of mom - the kind who will write nonsensical letters, over and over again with no response, so that at night, when he lays his head down, he knows that someone, somewhere truly cares.
Post a Comment