Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving Run/Walk!

I did it!
My sister has been asking me for years to run a 5K with her. At one point we were training for a triathlon but luckily for me she got pregnant and couldn't train, and me being the faithful and sweet sister that I am didn't continue without her.
So, there was a 5K today in Riverton that she called me about last week. Now for all of you laughing out loud, I didn't run and it wasn't a 5K but I did walk a 2K while she ran her 5K. And we had a great time.
I was very concerned about the weather and had on two pair of pants, two shirts, two jackets, and gloves but although a little drizzly it was a great day to walk. (And I ended up tying both jackets around my waist!)
And (drum roll here please....) I placed THIRD in the 2K. But just between you and me, the girls who came in before me (and I say girls because I was a good 20 years older than they were) RAN and I only WALKED! (And there were not a whole lot of walkers....I joke that I placed third out of three but there were a few more trailing behind me, maybe five or six!)
Clarification: There were 16 participants in the 2K (5 were little kids!)
I would like to run, in fact my inner self is a born runner. (I think.) It's my knees that say "Whoa, Betsy!" I tried a run last Saturday on the treadmill at the gym but the next day, achy knees. So I guess I'll just set my sights on being one of those cool "Power Walkers".
I won a container of Truffles and then I won a drawing for a frozen turkey. The entry fee was $23 (all the proceeds went to the Utah Food Bank-thus relieving my conscience of donating to every food drive this month) and I pretty much came out even with my 12 dollar turkey and 10 dollar chocolates.
Here's some pictures.

Before we left!

Kammy and I with our official numbers!


Me with my "major" award for third place!
(The idea of participating in this race to offset the calorie intact of Thanksgiving was a major persuasive factor for me to compete. The Truffles pretty much cancel out that strategy.)

2 of my blog friends said something...:

Michelle said...

Way to go Wen! I am so proud of my cousins! Too bad I couldn't be there with you. Of course, I probably wouldn't run either, or walk, just cheer you on and take photos! ;) Good job!

Corbie said...

Congratulations! That sounds so fun. And now, you have officially done more training than I have and I am supposed to run a marathon in 6 weeks. Hmmm...I better get moving :)

Nice job!

Related Posts with Thumbnails