Thursday, November 6, 2008

English Class....

Geez...my post are going to get so boring because nothing new is happening!! No one can figure out Alexey's letter. Apparently it's in half Russian, half Ukrainian and not very good handwriting. It looks okay to me but I have no idea what the letters are suppose to look like. One translator says he thinks it says something about good feelings, bad feelings, Austin and Mama. Great! That could be anything. (And what's that about bad feelings? Probably that he didn't want to write this letter in the first place!)
Which makes me think that I may never have contact with him again while he's away if he can't write a letter or at least doesn't make a serious attempt to write.
I did get a sweet call from a lady who just got her papers off and expects to get a date in the next week. How exciting! She had read my blog and offered to come talk to me about all the required paper work. I am so going to take her up on that. I told Jen she should be there too.
Oh, and that reminds me, while I was getting gas at the Chevron in Murray I was shivering in my car (because I never wear a coat) and I looked up at the brick building to the south and there was the huge sign about ESL school (English as a second language) I called the number and sure enough right here by the Smiths in Murray is a school! I talked with the man at length and he said he normally teaches adults at night for a 10 week course M-TH and the cost right now was $27 a week/normally $55. If the timing is right and I can get Lex back here before summer he could take the classes over the summer. (Good because I doubt I could get him to go to school all day and study English all night!) and it would be awesome if he had a few other Ukrainian children with him. In fact it made me start thinking....perhaps if enough of us got together we could get a class just for children? Just a thought. The guy was really nice and he assured me he doesn't just teach Hispanics how to speak English in fact he does all the training for the DI's and they have refugees from all over the world. Kind of funny how that sign was just staring at me while shivering in my car.
I went shopping with my sweet sis today and bought Alexey Christmas gifts figuring I should get them sent off soon but then learned that they really don't celebrate Christmas. Their New Years is a big celebration? It will probably take until New Years to get the package there anyway. I got him a hot wheels trick track and 4 more cars and a motorcycle. I'm sure he'll love them. Just not sure they'll get to him after reading tips on mailing packages to the Ukraine. Sounds like lots of packages get intercepted by crooked postal workers.
Here's a cute picture of my Rylee as a lunch worker. We voted at her elementary and wouldn't you know it she was a lunch worker that day. She was over the brand new salad bar at the school. She has since had a bang trim when I realized she can hardly see with her little sanitary hair net on.

1 of my blog friends said something...:

Corbie said...

Isn't it weird how life always just 'works out'? There you are sitting there and the ESL sign practically jumps out at you!

I think Alexey will absolutely love those 'New Year's' gifts and I bet they make it there - life has a way of 'working out' like that :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails