Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Confessions of a Prima Donna....

Last Tuesday Kambree asked if I was going to try out for Murray City's summer production of "Grease". For the past two summers Kambree and I have performed together, first in "Peter Pan" and then last summer in "Footloose". This summer I wasn't really planning on auditioning. I was worried about Alex and rehearsing but mostly I just felt there wasn't a part for me. I'm a little old to be playing Frenchie-a high school drop out. Kambree left for the auditions and I goggled the Broadway cast of characters and found the cameo part of Miss Lynch. (Note, the Broadway production is not like the movie-there is no woman principle or dingy secretary) and from what I can tell, Miss Lynch is the ONLY adult part in the entire cast.
Character Description: Miss Lynch is a strict, old-maid English teacher.
Hum... I youtube the part and can only find it in Spanish but it looks like a funny character part. I called Kambree, "Maybe I should come up and audition for Miss Lynch?" Kambree, "Oh, yes Mom do!!" So how can you not go audition when your almost 17 year old daughter WANTS to be in a show with you. So of course I did.
Now, I'm going to sound sort of prima donna-ish but this is a very little part-no singing or dancing required-but I think a funny part-I'm not too sure because I've yet to find a script or a performance in English-but anyway, I auditioned. The director sends me to dance-which is kind of crazy as I don't think Miss Lynch dances at all. But I dance-not well mind you-dancing is not my forte-where Kambree got it is beyond me?
We knew call backs were Saturday but....
we didn't get a call.
Either of us.... hum??
Saturday came and went and I can't tell you how bad I felt. Like really bad. Kambree felt bad too.
Now here comes the prima donna part...um...who the heck did they cast over me? Besides being pretty confident about my acting ability, I swear I was the ONLY adult I saw up there and Kambree can dance circles around most of the girls there so... what the heck?
Monday I consoled myself with "Maybe it's for the best. Maybe rehearsals would be too much?" Kambree was resigning herself to the fact that she should probably work as much as possible this summer.
Then the thought of what would we do all summer hit me. Seriously, this is what we do each summer and WE LOVE IT! I spend the days with my children, make dinner, eat together and then they're on their own for a few hours each night while Kambree and I go to rehearsals. With James being gone two weeks at a time, it's sort of fills my nights while he's away. I'd be in a play all year long if I could butI limit myself to one show with a quick run as being an actress and performing each night is not conducive to being a good mother. (You know, home work, dance class, scouts, tuck ins etc all happen at night!) I comfort myself with the fact that I'll play all the grandma parts when my children are grown.
(Yes, I was a theater major and had dreams of being a famous actress. I currently play the part of mom, wife & daughter and try to act like a real estate agent!)
So tonight, I'm sitting waiting for Devree's 2nd show with Guyz and Dollz to start and Kambree calls me with excitement in her voice. "Mom, Saxton (the theater teacher at Murray and director of Grease) just called and you got the part of Miss Lynch!" I hold my breath. "AND.....I'm in the chorus!!"
Whoot whoo!!
Funny how much this little part-that I really hadn't planned on trying out for-made me so happy! And Kambree too!
Bring on summer....we have rehearsals to start!

7 of my blog friends said something...:

Heidi Gail Richhart said...

Way to go Wendy! excited for you. Keep us posted!

Carlin said...

Way fun! Let us know the dates you perform.

Corbie said...

Well, I saw you in Peter Pan (how in the world did I miss Footloose?!) and I can attest to the fact that you were born for the stage - congrats!

FamilyLife said...

Speaking as a plate, sometimes it's nice not to have too many lines or costumes to worry about. Congrats! Have fun!

Jen said...

Sounds fun!

Stacy said...

How fun! It will be a great bonding time with Kambree.

snakeriverwalton said...

congratulations!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails