Alex attended school today and....
gave it the thumbs up!
(Although he does complain that he has to go for SIX hours!)
I let him ride his bike and couldn't help but take pictures of him and Rylee and Brach as I drove by in my car to meet them there.
Tonight he wrote his spelling words three times and read to me for 20 minutes. We read "Hop On Pop" by Dr Seuss. I think I need to find better reading books.
Yesterday, he did great at church. I think he was relieved to find out that three hours of church is not three hours of sacrament meeting. He enjoyed being with the other children in primary and he tries really hard to sing the songs. He wants to fit in and speak English so badly. He refuses to read any of the Ukraine books I bought for him and he likes to have ice in his drinks and ask, "Me American boy?" He's other famous question is "Mine English good, yea?"
I really can't believe he's adjusting so well. I really thought he would have had a melt down by now of some sort but he's just been so happy about everything. (Expect the long dance concert Saturday night.)
He made us all laugh at the dinner table last night. Kambree's had a cold and he told her she needs medicine then he told Austin he needs crazy medicine. When we were reading our book tonight there's a page that says "Fight, Night, we fight all night!" and he looked up at me and ginned and said "Me-Austin!" He really must have enjoyed that pillow fight on Saturday.
Brach (his cousin) has really taken him under his wing. Last night they took turns playing DS and today Brach showed him the ropes at school. They're not in the same class but can play together at recess and ride their bikes back and forth to school.
His teacher Mrs.Hall is so very sweet and Alex says "Mrs. Hall, relly cool!" She has a daughter that taught English in Ukraine and she thinks she'll come in and help Alex. Wow! Of all the teachers he could have been assigned we sure got the right one! Not to mention Mrs. Hall is so very sweet and patient.
It was kind of lonely driving away from the school today. I've been with Alex non stop for the past three weeks and it was like leaving my baby for the first time. I thought about him and worried all throughout the day but he did just fine.
First thing I did after getting him checked into school was go to the gym-my body will pay for that tomorrow as it's been SEVEN weeks since I was in the gym last!
I did get a hold of the health department. It took numerous calls and transfers but apparently I need to have chest X-rays' done here and then a nurse will contact me from the health department and determine if he needs to come in for TB testing.
I haven't even started the social security number thing and birth certificate, although thanks to Carlin I did email the birth certificate lady.
Ugh...more paper work!
Tomorrow we go to the doctor for his check up. I can't believe how busy this week has become. I feel like I just cross a few things off my list and I add five more! I still haven't got my sleeping down and when I do sleep I dream I'm in Ukraine and when I wake up I'm not sure where I am. I even hesitated today when I was brushing my teeth, thinking I shouldn't rinse my mouth with tap water, then I remembered I was home and our water is safe!
I went grocery shopping and stocked up on "salad fixins" for Alex and he made us a salad to go along with dinner. He LOVED the pork chops I made and asked that we have them again tomorrow. Score one for me! He's also discovered he like Kix's cold cereal, with a banana of course and he learned that if you pour a gigantic bowl, you are going to finish it!
And yes, I still get hugs and loves at least five times a day. He's an early riser and before the other kids are up he'll give me a big hug and say "My Mama." and I say "My Alex." it's a sweet way to start the day...
gave it the thumbs up!
(Although he does complain that he has to go for SIX hours!)
I let him ride his bike and couldn't help but take pictures of him and Rylee and Brach as I drove by in my car to meet them there.
Tonight he wrote his spelling words three times and read to me for 20 minutes. We read "Hop On Pop" by Dr Seuss. I think I need to find better reading books.
Yesterday, he did great at church. I think he was relieved to find out that three hours of church is not three hours of sacrament meeting. He enjoyed being with the other children in primary and he tries really hard to sing the songs. He wants to fit in and speak English so badly. He refuses to read any of the Ukraine books I bought for him and he likes to have ice in his drinks and ask, "Me American boy?" He's other famous question is "Mine English good, yea?"
I really can't believe he's adjusting so well. I really thought he would have had a melt down by now of some sort but he's just been so happy about everything. (Expect the long dance concert Saturday night.)
He made us all laugh at the dinner table last night. Kambree's had a cold and he told her she needs medicine then he told Austin he needs crazy medicine. When we were reading our book tonight there's a page that says "Fight, Night, we fight all night!" and he looked up at me and ginned and said "Me-Austin!" He really must have enjoyed that pillow fight on Saturday.
Brach (his cousin) has really taken him under his wing. Last night they took turns playing DS and today Brach showed him the ropes at school. They're not in the same class but can play together at recess and ride their bikes back and forth to school.
His teacher Mrs.Hall is so very sweet and Alex says "Mrs. Hall, relly cool!" She has a daughter that taught English in Ukraine and she thinks she'll come in and help Alex. Wow! Of all the teachers he could have been assigned we sure got the right one! Not to mention Mrs. Hall is so very sweet and patient.
It was kind of lonely driving away from the school today. I've been with Alex non stop for the past three weeks and it was like leaving my baby for the first time. I thought about him and worried all throughout the day but he did just fine.
First thing I did after getting him checked into school was go to the gym-my body will pay for that tomorrow as it's been SEVEN weeks since I was in the gym last!
I did get a hold of the health department. It took numerous calls and transfers but apparently I need to have chest X-rays' done here and then a nurse will contact me from the health department and determine if he needs to come in for TB testing.
I haven't even started the social security number thing and birth certificate, although thanks to Carlin I did email the birth certificate lady.
Ugh...more paper work!
Tomorrow we go to the doctor for his check up. I can't believe how busy this week has become. I feel like I just cross a few things off my list and I add five more! I still haven't got my sleeping down and when I do sleep I dream I'm in Ukraine and when I wake up I'm not sure where I am. I even hesitated today when I was brushing my teeth, thinking I shouldn't rinse my mouth with tap water, then I remembered I was home and our water is safe!
I went grocery shopping and stocked up on "salad fixins" for Alex and he made us a salad to go along with dinner. He LOVED the pork chops I made and asked that we have them again tomorrow. Score one for me! He's also discovered he like Kix's cold cereal, with a banana of course and he learned that if you pour a gigantic bowl, you are going to finish it!
And yes, I still get hugs and loves at least five times a day. He's an early riser and before the other kids are up he'll give me a big hug and say "My Mama." and I say "My Alex." it's a sweet way to start the day...

4 of my blog friends said something...:
Look at your little American boy. What must it be like to rinse your mouth out with tap water again? I'm jealous.
It gives me chills just hearing about your experiences with him here. I can't wait until it's my turn! I can feel the butterflies already.
Wow! he sounds like a real neat and cool kid and a real sweet boy!
tHIS IS NEAT TO HEAR THAT HE IS ADJUSTING SO WELL....
FOR YOUR FYI.. AS I AM VOLUNTEERING FOR THE SOUTHERN UTAH HOSPICE CARE....EACH YEAR IT IS MANDATORY TO GET A TB TEST...SOME OF THESE PEOPLE AT THE OFFICES HAVE NO CLUES... AS EACH TIME I COME OUR POSITIVE ! WHY? BECAUSE IN EUROPE THEY VACCINATE THE CHILDREN AT A YOUNG AGE. SO I HAD TO GO TO A SKIN DOCTOR SPECIALIST TO WRITE THE NOTES TO THE OTHER HOSPICE DOCTORS AS HE WAS ASTONISHED THAT THEY DID NOT KNOW..AT LEAST I AM SAFE AS I AM VACCINATED AGAINST IT...THIS IS WHY A HUGE RED SORE POP OUT WHEN THEY GAVE ME THE TB TEST.
Post a Comment