Wednesday, May 20, 2009

"Me English!"

Tonight we went to the airport to see the Rasts and Bunchs arrive home.
Oh, seeing them reminded me so much of how tired I was and how long that day was. Can it be that it was less than three weeks ago that Alex and I arrived home?
On the way into the airport Alex glanced at me in my new, very colorful sundress-that I bought today- and waving towards my dress he told me "Me, no cute." Which I interpreted as "I don't like your dress Mom." That made me laugh. I think it's funny he even noticed what I was wearing, let alone have and voice his opinion.
In the airport he had fun saying hi to his friends but he refused to speak Russian to them. Jeff Rast asked him the Ukraine word for brother and he said "Me don't know-me English." And then he'd tell me "Ukraine" and then make talking hand motions and say "blah, blah blah..." like he use to about English.
On the way home I asked, "Alex, could you really not understand Ukraine?" He replied, "Me speak, me no ear." Does that mean he can speak it but doesn't understand it when spoken? I said, "Alex, you have to remember your Russian, how will you speak to Ivan?" He shrugged and said "English?"
I, of course think he can understand still and speak just fine, he just chooses not too. It's his way of being "Me, American boy!" He refuses to read any of the Ukraine books I bought or the illustrated Russian book of Mormon. He also is trying many new foods and finding he likes quite a few, and he loves to drink his drinks with ice in them and ask, "Me, American Boy?" Everyday he becomes more and more American. He only refers to bad thing in Ukraine. Like when we drive over the train tracks or a dip in the road he says "Dniprozerzink." Obviously referring to all the potholes in the road there.
I tried to get him to tell me good things about Ukraine and he couldn't come up with any. I love that he loves America but I don't want him to hate Ukraine, I want him to be proud of his heritage, maybe in time that will come? For now he just hates everything about it. Except for Ivan & Snezhana. I tried for the last two Sundays to Skype with them but they haven't been on line. With our three hour church block in the middle of the day it makes it difficult to catch them with the nine hour difference in time.
James left for work today and Alex kept thinking James had left without saying goodbye as he'd pantomime driving and ask "Papa?" No, Alex he hasn't left. He will say goodbye. Then when James did say goodbye Alex said "Fifteen?" and made a sad face and then imitated papa coming home as an old man with a cane and he said, looking up from his old man posture, "Alex....big!" Like Alex is going to be grown before James returns in two weeks. What a funny boy!
He's been so much fun lately. Playing with Rylee. Playing with friends. We found a fabulous sight for reading (starfall.com) and he is doing so well. He can read the word then click on it to hear the correct pronunciation. He can go at his own speed and his own level and it holds his attention.
He wore his cub scout shirt to scouts today and he looked so...American! I need to get a picture of that next week.
I bought him a couple more shirts for summer and when I told him he said "Good job Mama."
He also called me on my cell phone today. We've been working on him memorizing the number and obviously he has it down. I wasn't home right at two but I wasn't worried as everyone was out of school at two today so I knew he wouldn't be alone. He called and I was able to tell him I'd be home soon and to stay with the kids.
He is also an incredible flirt. He loves to flirt with Kambree's friends. In church I could not keep him from turning around as Kambree's very tall and blond friend Sami was sitting behind us and he kept making faces at her and her sister Kaysha. It got to be a little out of control.
He's really a very good boy and he's trying so hard to fit in and find his place in our family. He's already found a place in our hearts. Devree was rough housing with Alex before bed and I had to go kick her out of his room, Austin is very sweet with him in his crazy Austin way, Kambree likes him-just not when he tattles on her and Rylee in her prayers tonight thanked Heavenly Father for her new brother....Alex.

5 of my blog friends said something...:

Lori said...

I love your explanations of things. I can visualize it perfectly in my mind. I also like your new American motiff. I need you to help me dress up my blog. It sounds like Alex is a true part of the family.

Carlin said...

That was a really sweet blog... I need him to get together with my kids so they can see that they can learn English. ; )

Julee said...

I almost didn't recognize Alex at the airport. He did the same thing to me when I tried speaking Russian to him. I laughed. Thanks for coming to the airport!

Heidi Gail Richhart said...

how cute!

Blaine said...

Interesting. Joseph refused to speak any more Ukrainian shortly after returning home. We had a translator come and get some of the PTSD stories (thankfully) in his native tongue shortly before that.

I think with Joseph the Ukrainian reminded him of all things bad that he had experienced at the Intranat and at his birth home. So, it was like a "secret" language and anyone that spoke Ukrainain, to him, was out like men in black to take him back to that awful (I was going to use another colorful word but I won't) place.

Related Posts with Thumbnails