Alex asked me if I wanted to hear about his dream this morning.
Me: Sure
Alex: I dream about Bogdan (his cute little friend from the orphanage-that he refers to as his "little buddy") He get adopted, live close, like-ahhhh-(struggling with finding the word) neighbor? (Wow! Didn't know he knew that word!) I play with him, I teach him English, I teach him American Math.
Me: American Math?
Alex: Yes.
Me: The math here is different than it is in Ukraine?
Alex: Yes.
Me: (Baffled) No it's not. Math is the same everywhere. Did you learn how to add?
A: Yes
M: Subtract?
A: Yes
M: Multiply?
A: Yes.
Me: See? It's all the same, we all use the same numbers.
A: No! In Ukraine we no have 1/2 !
Me: Fractions? (laughing now) That's just because you hadn't learned fractions yet.
A: (nodding as the light dawns) Oh.....

Alex: I dream about Bogdan (his cute little friend from the orphanage-that he refers to as his "little buddy") He get adopted, live close, like-ahhhh-(struggling with finding the word) neighbor? (Wow! Didn't know he knew that word!) I play with him, I teach him English, I teach him American Math.
Me: American Math?
Alex: Yes.
Me: The math here is different than it is in Ukraine?
Alex: Yes.
Me: (Baffled) No it's not. Math is the same everywhere. Did you learn how to add?
A: Yes
M: Subtract?
A: Yes
M: Multiply?
A: Yes.
Me: See? It's all the same, we all use the same numbers.
A: No! In Ukraine we no have 1/2 !
Me: Fractions? (laughing now) That's just because you hadn't learned fractions yet.
A: (nodding as the light dawns) Oh.....


2 of my blog friends said something...:
That's funny. Yuliya did excellent until they got to fractions. She really struggled because they use so many words she does not understand, like reciprocal, common denominator, etc. I spent many hours working with her. Someone told me they don't learn fractions until high school.
Hilarious!
Post a Comment