I hesitate to post this entry.
After long thought and consideration and the enlightenment I received after learning these things I am going to post in hopes that those of you who have adopted from orphanages and are unaware-like myself-can better understand the environment that these children grew up in.
It makes me sad and terribly angry and it makes all my mama bear hairs stand up on end.
A friend of mine-that adopted from the same orphanage and our children are similar in age- called me earlier this week and shared some information her daughters had shared about punishments at the orphanage. Alex is not one to bring up much about his past and would just as soon forget about it, I'm sure. But these punishments were so bizarre I had to ask Alex what he knew about it.
Apparently a young girl-not my friends daughter-thank heavens-was caught doing something with a boy she shouldn't have and her punishment was to walk through her class room in her underwear while her classmates spit on her. Can you imagine?
So, I ask Alex what he knows and he acknowledged the punishment and said it was because "she was in love". (I don't think he knew about the sexual nature of her crime? Not sure. He seems so very innocent and yet I know he's been exposed to so much bad stuff.)
Then he started sharing some of his past punishments. He apparently "blew gum into a girls ear"-I know, not nice-and for that he had to wear his underwear on his head and walk naked through his classmates. NAKED!! He told me he covered himself with his hands.
Then there was a time he didn't use soap in the shower (imagine that?) and someone smelled him and told him to pack his things and leave. He was probably about eight years old. He was picked up just outside of Dnepropetrovsk by someone from the orphanage. Dnepropetrovsk is a 4o minute bus ride through a not so great area. He was heading to his brothers houses.
Then he told me how he got hit with a stick with poky things on it and it made punctures in his bottom-this was for putting toothpaste on some one's bread at lunch-a prank.
He told me his friends were hit with whips and one boy had to wear every one's underwear on his head for a punishment.
He said the worse punishment is to "stand outside on hot metal where you feet burn". (Not sure what he's talking about here.) But that he never had it happen to him.
He also mentioned that in the previous orphanage he was picked up by his ears, jostled around by his ears and the dropped on the ground. He showed me the back of his ear where he has this bump of cartilage that pokes out. No doubt from this punishment. The offense? Drawing a picture with four eyes and three mouths? (What the heck?)
He had shared previously the time he was forced to kneel in salt for hours and had bloody knees-he said that was for reading when he should have been napping. (Is that why we struggle to read now?) and once he mentioned he didn't get his Christmas candy on Christmas Day-his only gift-for being somewhere he wasn't suppose to be.
Last night while writing in his journal he couldn't think of a thing to write so I mentioned maybe he should write about his past. Maybe about his punishments.
Why?
So you won't forget?
"Oh I never forget....they hurt so bad!"
Yep, I am sure he won't forget-as much as he'd like to and as much as I'd like to erase his past.
I explained to him that I know he doesn't like to talk about the orphanage but it helps me understand him and that maybe I can help him if I understand what he went through.
Then last night we were trying to reminisce with Alex about when we hosted him. He can't remember much. He claims he didn't know we were going to adopt him-even though we had the translator/adoption coordinator talk with him and explain things. He said he never thought he'd see us again. He realized we were going to adopt him after he got back and got called down to the directors office with the other girls getting adopted and asked if he wanted to be adopted. I asked if he wanted to read my blog about when we hosted him. "No, I don't want to remember." James jumped on that with "He doesn't want to remember the orphanage. He just wants to pretend he always lived here. Right buddy?" and he tousled Alex's hair. Alex grinned but shook his head no. Which may be because he didn't understand what James was saying?
I can understand that he doesn't want to always remember his past, but I think there is so much he keeps bottled up and he has such a hard time expressing himself but I changed the subject. I told him about a girl I know-adopted from Ukraine, that felt so bad that her mother made her shoplift for food when she was little and how excited she was to be getting baptized and washed clean. I explained that this little girl wasn't at fault-her mother made her do it and that she shouldn't have been made to feel guilty for shoplifting when she was so little but how great it is to feel clean when you're baptized and know that everything-even the things that are not your fault-is washed away. Then Alex's eyes got big and he shared how his Ukraine mom made him steal bread.
Then last night we were trying to reminisce with Alex about when we hosted him. He can't remember much. He claims he didn't know we were going to adopt him-even though we had the translator/adoption coordinator talk with him and explain things. He said he never thought he'd see us again. He realized we were going to adopt him after he got back and got called down to the directors office with the other girls getting adopted and asked if he wanted to be adopted. I asked if he wanted to read my blog about when we hosted him. "No, I don't want to remember." James jumped on that with "He doesn't want to remember the orphanage. He just wants to pretend he always lived here. Right buddy?" and he tousled Alex's hair. Alex grinned but shook his head no. Which may be because he didn't understand what James was saying?
I can understand that he doesn't want to always remember his past, but I think there is so much he keeps bottled up and he has such a hard time expressing himself but I changed the subject. I told him about a girl I know-adopted from Ukraine, that felt so bad that her mother made her shoplift for food when she was little and how excited she was to be getting baptized and washed clean. I explained that this little girl wasn't at fault-her mother made her do it and that she shouldn't have been made to feel guilty for shoplifting when she was so little but how great it is to feel clean when you're baptized and know that everything-even the things that are not your fault-is washed away. Then Alex's eyes got big and he shared how his Ukraine mom made him steal bread.
"She say get bread, tomatoes and cucumbers but I get bread and candy."
What did your mom do?
She slap me.
How often did you have to steal bread?
Just once. Once a week.
How old where you?
Four.
See what I mean? Lot's of stuff bottled up.
See what I mean? Lot's of stuff bottled up.
So what have your children shared with you about their previous orphanage life? What bizarre punishments have you heard of? Do your children talk about it much? Do you think it's good to have them talk about it? I'm not sure-does it just bring up the hurt or does it heal? It certainly helps me have more empathy and understanding but part of me doesn't want to know-to remain oblivious. Obliviously naive. Your thoughts and input & suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

10 of my blog friends said something...:
My heart hurts for these children and what they were put through.
Oh, this is so sad. My Alex hasn't talked about bad things that happened at the orphanage, only bad things that happened with his mother. Maybe they will come out later, or (hopefully) this kind of thing didn't happen at his orphanage?
Wendy,
This makes me want to cry. I was raised in an orphanage for a few years myself. I have a pretty heavy past. I was baptized and it helped me heal. I wanted to tell you to not underestimate these hurts. They will come to haunt your child and he needs to fully go through the process of psychological healing. If I hadn't at age 22 I wouldn't have been able to be a kind wife or mother. Because these evil deeds have such a strong hold on you. They pursue you, Satan tries to use them in his design. My advice is that when the time is right to go through psychotherapy. I worked with Thom Harrison in Salt Lake City. Things can not be ignored. You can not pretend they never were and you surely can't expect Alex to just forget. He will be a father and he needs to learn the proper way of disicplining. Even if you are a great example, remember that these things have such a strong hold that you can't downplay it. Let me know if you wish for me to contact you. HE will have to embrace his past to better get rid of it.
This stuff makes my blood boil! Unfortuantley, virtually all our kids have experienced stuff like this. Those orphanages are no place for kids, I tell you!
You are fortunate that he can and will talk about them. However, I'm willing to bet that there's a lot more he hasn't shared and won't share because they are TOO BIG and TOO SCARY! Yeah for PTSD...it will likely be a post topic of mine before the end of the day. That's my goal anyway.
In all seriousness, I highly recommend getting him into some form of play therapy - AND MAKE SURE YOU PARTICIPATE IN IT 100% either by observing through a window or actually being in the room. If they won't do play therapy because of his age, insist they start with sand tray work. This stuff isn't just going to go away on it's own. Nor are the scars lessened because he's now in a loving and safe home. The sooner he gets treatment, the more easily he'll be able to safely process and deal with this stuff.
Other than that, don't try to force it out of him. Listen when he wants to share, ask gentle leading questions, but don't push it. Sometimes our hurt kids will comply, other times they won't. Also, if he's been acting out more than usual, this is very likely why. Memories of these events have likely left him feeling very raw and vulerable.
I'm always prying for the most part with Alex. He just doesn't want to talk about Urkaine BUT the punishment talk was all his. I just asked about the girl and then he just spilled the beans. My only questions were "What did you do to get this punishment? And what was the worst punishment (hot metal). He just talked and talked.
We talked two nights ago and so far, nothing out of the ordinary in his behavior.
I agree with Anonymous and Diana-he is going to need help getting through this. Help that is beyond me.
He talks often about what kind of Dad he'll be like, how big of allowance he'll pay and what he'll paint on his son's bedroom walls. (Hotwheels Flames-obviously he'll be cooler than we are because we're NOT painting flames on his walls!)
The tricky part is that Alex is really VERY good. No behavior issues for the most part-none of these things I read about on others blogs. Just sweet and loving and yes, a little hyper vigilant. Most of the things that I struggle with are just his lack of social graces and language communication. I know he's still new to our family and his new life and time will tell.
Thank you all for your comments. Anonymous, I would like you to contact me richharts@msn.com. I appreciate your referral but would like to ask you a few more questions.
Thanks.
I find talking about the past is necessary for my adopted children to feel loved and truly accepted. It is easy for them to think that I wouldn't love them if I only knew xyz. . .When they share with me I eagerly listen and tell them that I want to know everything about them because I love them. I agree. . .we can't pretend their pasts away, and we can't let them imagine that their past would make us love them less.
You had a great conversation! Btw, my Ukrainian children say they didn't experience these types of punishments. Weird, eh?
Wendy,
PLEASE don't be lulled into underestimating the magnitude of what this type of trauma does to a kid. Don't downplay the hypervigilance, either. It won't go away. But it will get more intense as he gets older unless he finds a way to effectively manage it while he's still young. Indeed, he may learn to hide it, and he may do a pretty good job of much of the time...until his bucket gets so full and heavy that he can't manage the stress of it anymore. I GUARANTEE that hypervigilance is a learned survival skill - and it's a skill he had significant reason to learn.
PLEASE don't be pacified into thinking you can just keep on coasting as you are until something "big" happens...or until he's more "adjusted" or until he has a better command of English. The sooner you can get that help for him that he needs, the less likely he will be to carry the heaviness of it into his teen and adult years. He'll likely always carry some scars from his past, but they don't have to continue festering. If you allow them to do so, you are running a very big risk that they will eventually destroy him as well as those around him.
PLEASE listen to those of us who have BTDT and are still doing it. We're not saying Alex is a bad kid or is going to have a laundry list of issues. There's likely more than you know about or currently realize, but it's ok. The only significant purpose they serve is so you know what to learn about and so your insurance will pay for treatment. He's still a good kid who just happened to have a rotten early start in life that he's eventually going to have to reckon with.
You are very fortunate that Alex does have the type of personality that he does. It will be a huge blessing to him and will serve him well and help his healing process go much faster. But it won't replace the need for it.
BTW, I also have some good referalls for your area, or can at least point you in the right direction to find them. There's also a link on the sidebar of my blog to a post I wrote about what we went through to make sure we found a good therapist right off the bat. It's not an easy task. And, I'm afraid you will find that most of them also have pretty long waiting lists (as in several months to up to a year.) So, don't wait to get started on fiding one.
more...
Just one more thing...Is it ok to talk to your kid about his past? YES!!! He needs you to do it. And he needs you to be able to stay calm and emotionally neutral, while at the same time being empathetic and understanding while you're talking with him. It's not an easy dance, but it's what he needs. Just go at his pace, go where he's ready to go, go there with him, and don't push. Like I said before, ask gentle leading questions. If he's ready, he'll go there and he'll share what he's ready to share when he's ready. If not, he won't.
If he's like most kids, though, and I have every reason to believe that he is, many of the details surrounding the trauma he's experienced are currently blocked. He doesn't consciously remember them. They are, however, stored in vivid detail in his subconsious and they still drive behavior, personality, belief systems, etc. Trauma memories are also most often stored and remembered like a snapshot. Yet as humans, we're programmed to want to view them as a technicolor movie with a discernable plot. In other words, we want them to make sense. In order to make it make sense, kids often fill in the details with fantasy or guesses at what happened. Sometimes they're right, sometimes they are WAY out there, or sometimes those memories are simply too painful to accurately remember, so the conscious psyche downplays them and inserts less painful, but not real memories. Time scew is also another really common thing we see with trauma memories. The memories are real, but again, they're not movies. They're snapshots and they aren't cataloged in the memory bank in any sort of order. Very often kids will tell a story that includes several disconnected memories, most of which didn't happen at the same time, and then of course, they guess or make stuff up to make those stories make sense.
One thing we can’t do is to assume all orphanages are the same. When I talked with my son about the type of punishments that were mentioned (he was in the orphanage from age 4-14) he was as appalled as the rest of us reading the blog. When I asked him what they did if they did something they should not have. He told me stuff like they can’t go play or do extra work. The worst was maybe a smack on the back of the head, but “not too hard mom it didn’t hurt.” I think we can’t forget that just like everything in life there is good and bad. And there are a lot of loving people who work in the orphanages and cared about the children. I am very thankful for those people.
It's good that Alex is at a point where he can talk about these things with you. That is a sign of trust, and it's so wonderful that he is able to communicate so freely with you.
Post a Comment