Saturday, February 6, 2010

Swear Words

Last night I finally watched Julie & Julia. Kambree saw it in the theater and gave it a horrible review-of course she doesn't cook or blog and has no idea who Julia Child's is-but friends of mine and my mother loved it so I borrowed it from my mom and watched last night while James went to a guy movie night with his brother and my brothers. Austin was gone for the evening so it was Dev, Ry, me and poor Alex-the lone boy. Kambree would pop her head in ever so often and ask if we hated it? Isn't it boring? No, we actually all liked it-even Alex laughed and seemed to understand it for the most part.
There's a part in the show where Julia Child's husband says the "F" word. We all groaned and Alex looked puzzled but said nothing.
I had gone over swear words with Alex a few weeks ago-much to the dismay of Rylee-who informed me I needed to repent for saying the actual words. I explained that it's impossible for Alex to actually know what swear words are if I just spell it or tell him "S-word" etc. So I did, I said all the swear words just so he'd be clear on what is unacceptable in our home. (I must confess that he's probably heard a few mild swear words from the lips of yours truly!) He's never had a problem and has said "heck" and "gosh" since he started speaking English. Last week he started saying "darn-it". (That and "time out" when ever he needs time to think of what he's trying to say.) He has mispronounced a few words that have come out sounding like swear words and of course his siblings are quick to laugh and correct him.
Anyway, so later in the show the main character hears that Julia Child's didn't care for her blog and she's trying to analyze why. She asks her husband that maybe it's because she used the "F" word a couple of times? Alex again looks puzzled and then asks,
"Mom, what "F" word? Fabulous??"
We all started laughing. It's true fabulous is a "F" word and one of Alex's favorite. Alex uses fabulous all the time in his daily speech and journal writing.
His first fabulous sentence was this:
"Today I was lettle skar to say sorry I was fantabelous"
We added fabulous to his dictionary and within the last couple of weeks here is how many times the fabulous word has cropped up in his writing:
I lake my mom she is fabulous
I ben fabulous yastaday.
I like my family they ar fabulous gass (guys)
I feel fabulous today.
I am having a fabulous today.
I like my fabulous family.
No, Alex, the "F" word is not fabulous! I hate to even tell him what it is-again. I think I'll just wait until the day when he blurts it or can say it himself? Or his siblings tattle on him? Won't that be fabulous?



2 of my blog friends said something...:

Michelle said...

:)

Diana said...

Fabulous! I love it!

My kids haven't yet figured out the English swear words. One of them used to swear at me all the time in Ukrainian and was quite shocked when I called him on it. That ended that. My little one uses "poopy" potty talk (which gets corrected) but other than that, I'll wait until they ask or they say it themselves to correct it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails