Last night we had a Super Bowl party and watched the game. To some of you that is a given, to us it was a momentous occasion as we have NEVER watched the Super Bowl and usually don't even know it's come and gone. Yes. We're that much into football.
But upon hearing other families and friends make plans for Super Bowl parties (Umm...no, we did not get invited-again we're not into football-my kids-when younger were a nuisance to my brothers who are BIG time into football so it's no skin off my nose that we don't garner an invite) I decided that WE would have our own Super Bowl Party and bring the antenna off my new TV downstairs and put it on the big screen.
I bought fix-ens for big Hoggie sandwiches, chips, veggie tray and.....soda pop! (My kids couldn't believe it-I don't do soda pop!)
I told the kids we were having a Super Bowl party and Kambree asked "Like normal families?" Yes, Kambree, like normal families but what my kids couldn't fathom was that we were having a party with just our family. Alex would ask if Brach was coming, Rylee assumed grandma and grandpa were coming-in fact my mom called concerned that we had no means to actually watch the Super Bowl and would we like to come to their house? What a nice mom.
I kept telling the kids "No just OUR family." But still they weren't getting it. Finally Alex asks "You mean just five kids and two parents?" YES!! He and Ry looked confused. Apparently you can't have a family party without aunts, uncles, cousins and grandparents?
Anyway, we worked on Valentines and Valentine boxes that afternoon. Mixed up cookies and then served our spread right before the game started. It was so odd, we all sat there for the first half-laughing at the commercials-asking James questions about the rules and then Austin wandered off to do his homework, Alex lost interest and wanted to go shoot hoop's to which after much pleading I told him he could if he agreed to take a bath-I don't usually make him shower on Sunday's as he doesn't usually break a sweat but knowing if he went outside, he would. He agreed but decided it was too cold and came right back in so he and I started trying to put his science project together and James and the girls finished watching the game.
Our team won! We were for the Saints as James works with a bunch of guys from Louisiana and I proclaimed that we're Latter Day Saints so of course we're for the Saints! I thought that was sort of funny but no one else found it amusing.
I can see how people can really get into sports and teams and games but I'm really glad it's not a priority in our life. However, there was a moment right there the first with everyone in the same room, focused on the same thing that felt so cozy and relaxing. Maybe we'll try again next year.
But upon hearing other families and friends make plans for Super Bowl parties (Umm...no, we did not get invited-again we're not into football-my kids-when younger were a nuisance to my brothers who are BIG time into football so it's no skin off my nose that we don't garner an invite) I decided that WE would have our own Super Bowl Party and bring the antenna off my new TV downstairs and put it on the big screen.
I bought fix-ens for big Hoggie sandwiches, chips, veggie tray and.....soda pop! (My kids couldn't believe it-I don't do soda pop!)
I told the kids we were having a Super Bowl party and Kambree asked "Like normal families?" Yes, Kambree, like normal families but what my kids couldn't fathom was that we were having a party with just our family. Alex would ask if Brach was coming, Rylee assumed grandma and grandpa were coming-in fact my mom called concerned that we had no means to actually watch the Super Bowl and would we like to come to their house? What a nice mom.
I kept telling the kids "No just OUR family." But still they weren't getting it. Finally Alex asks "You mean just five kids and two parents?" YES!! He and Ry looked confused. Apparently you can't have a family party without aunts, uncles, cousins and grandparents?
Anyway, we worked on Valentines and Valentine boxes that afternoon. Mixed up cookies and then served our spread right before the game started. It was so odd, we all sat there for the first half-laughing at the commercials-asking James questions about the rules and then Austin wandered off to do his homework, Alex lost interest and wanted to go shoot hoop's to which after much pleading I told him he could if he agreed to take a bath-I don't usually make him shower on Sunday's as he doesn't usually break a sweat but knowing if he went outside, he would. He agreed but decided it was too cold and came right back in so he and I started trying to put his science project together and James and the girls finished watching the game.
Our team won! We were for the Saints as James works with a bunch of guys from Louisiana and I proclaimed that we're Latter Day Saints so of course we're for the Saints! I thought that was sort of funny but no one else found it amusing.
I can see how people can really get into sports and teams and games but I'm really glad it's not a priority in our life. However, there was a moment right there the first with everyone in the same room, focused on the same thing that felt so cozy and relaxing. Maybe we'll try again next year.

3 of my blog friends said something...:
Congratulations! glad to hear you enjoyed it! We don't watch a lot of NFL but we always do the Super Bowl. Good pick on the team! Now plan for a family outing to a U game in the stadium and feel the excitement first hand. Love reading your blog...
Yay! What a good start
Wendy, I gave you an award on my blog. I've enjoyed reading yours.
Post a Comment