These phrases I have been collecting for the past two weeks:
That doesn't mean any sense!
Choose with your mouth closed!
I am going to baptisms for the deaf.
Can I spill it in the thing?
(Asking if he can pour the bucket of cleaning water down the sink.)
Ella, stop licking your vagina.
(The DOG was licking her bottom. And, yes. We use atomically correct words in our house.Although I think the word bottom would suffice in this sentence and sound a whole lot nicer!)
While opening the fridge after coming in from playing outside:
A: (Sighing) It's hot in here.
Me: What? It's hot in the fridge? (Starting to panic!)
A: Oh I mean it's cool in here. Cool & refreshing! (I have never heard him use refreshing before!)
When asking how my cookies were I got a thumbs up and an "Addictive!" Another word I've never heard him use before.
Yesterday we went to swim and have lunch with a few other families that have adopted through Save A Child foundation. One of Alex's friends/classmates from the orphanage arrived home this weekend. The first BOY from his orphanage that has been adopted.
You would think when we get these kids together that they'd love to talk and catch up, maybe compare notes about parents? Reminisce about other friends? But nope.
After an HOUR Alex seemed to warm up to Benson but since I'm sure Benson's English is little at best and Alex's Ukraine is very rough I'm not sure they communicated much.
When I did talk to Alex he explained that he said "Hi" to Benson and "Do you remember me?" Benson nodded and that was the extent of their conversation. I asked if he asked him how he likes his new family? America? Anything? What did you talk about while you were playing?
"Nothing. We were just playing"
There were other boys and girls there too. Some very similar in age and yet if they weren't from his orphanage he didn't give them the time of day.
Odd.
If I were living in a forigen country and was put in a social situation with lots of people from my native country I would be talking and socializing with everyone.
Alex's comment on the way into the party was that he hoped his friend Cameron would be there. Uh....Cameron is his neighborhood friend. I explained that this is just a party for families that have adopted from Ukraine. Without him we wouldn't have been invited. He sighed and asked "Why we have to have party with Ukraine kids?"
Humm....anyone else have this issue?
I'm sure part of it is the language issue. Many of these kids are still fluent as they have a group of Ukraine friends they still hang with here in America and others were adopted in pairs so there's a sibling to keep the language up with. Alex honestly cannot understand much besides the basics and claims everyone talks so fast. But I think it's more than that. I think he wants so much to close that chapter in his life. Move on. Forget about it. Is that healthy? We have never referred negatively to Ukraine-at least in front of him. We try to cook Ukraine food sometimes, I have decorations from Ukraine through the house and I have Ukriane things in his room but he's slowly getting rid of them now that I think about it. His Ukraine flag has disappeared and the other day he wanted me to find someone to give his Ukraine book of fables to.
Hum....
On another note. One of my daughters-who shall remain nameless-came home from the pool party and announced that Ukraine boys are HOT! To which Alex proudly proclaimed, "I'll be hot when I grow up too!"
Wow. That's confidence!
Side Note: Unnamed daughter thought the boy in the white swim trunks was especially cute-not sure who's son he is AND another young man that when I told her was NOT from Ukraine she asked me
"Then what was he was doing there?" Uh....being a sibling to a Ukrainian like you!? Good grief!
That doesn't mean any sense!
Choose with your mouth closed!
I am going to baptisms for the deaf.
Can I spill it in the thing?
(Asking if he can pour the bucket of cleaning water down the sink.)
Ella, stop licking your vagina.
(The DOG was licking her bottom. And, yes. We use atomically correct words in our house.Although I think the word bottom would suffice in this sentence and sound a whole lot nicer!)
While opening the fridge after coming in from playing outside:
A: (Sighing) It's hot in here.
Me: What? It's hot in the fridge? (Starting to panic!)
A: Oh I mean it's cool in here. Cool & refreshing! (I have never heard him use refreshing before!)
When asking how my cookies were I got a thumbs up and an "Addictive!" Another word I've never heard him use before.
Yesterday we went to swim and have lunch with a few other families that have adopted through Save A Child foundation. One of Alex's friends/classmates from the orphanage arrived home this weekend. The first BOY from his orphanage that has been adopted.
You would think when we get these kids together that they'd love to talk and catch up, maybe compare notes about parents? Reminisce about other friends? But nope.
After an HOUR Alex seemed to warm up to Benson but since I'm sure Benson's English is little at best and Alex's Ukraine is very rough I'm not sure they communicated much.
When I did talk to Alex he explained that he said "Hi" to Benson and "Do you remember me?" Benson nodded and that was the extent of their conversation. I asked if he asked him how he likes his new family? America? Anything? What did you talk about while you were playing?
"Nothing. We were just playing"
There were other boys and girls there too. Some very similar in age and yet if they weren't from his orphanage he didn't give them the time of day.
Odd.
If I were living in a forigen country and was put in a social situation with lots of people from my native country I would be talking and socializing with everyone.
Alex's comment on the way into the party was that he hoped his friend Cameron would be there. Uh....Cameron is his neighborhood friend. I explained that this is just a party for families that have adopted from Ukraine. Without him we wouldn't have been invited. He sighed and asked "Why we have to have party with Ukraine kids?"
Humm....anyone else have this issue?
I'm sure part of it is the language issue. Many of these kids are still fluent as they have a group of Ukraine friends they still hang with here in America and others were adopted in pairs so there's a sibling to keep the language up with. Alex honestly cannot understand much besides the basics and claims everyone talks so fast. But I think it's more than that. I think he wants so much to close that chapter in his life. Move on. Forget about it. Is that healthy? We have never referred negatively to Ukraine-at least in front of him. We try to cook Ukraine food sometimes, I have decorations from Ukraine through the house and I have Ukriane things in his room but he's slowly getting rid of them now that I think about it. His Ukraine flag has disappeared and the other day he wanted me to find someone to give his Ukraine book of fables to.
Hum....
On another note. One of my daughters-who shall remain nameless-came home from the pool party and announced that Ukraine boys are HOT! To which Alex proudly proclaimed, "I'll be hot when I grow up too!"
Wow. That's confidence!
Side Note: Unnamed daughter thought the boy in the white swim trunks was especially cute-not sure who's son he is AND another young man that when I told her was NOT from Ukraine she asked me
"Then what was he was doing there?" Uh....being a sibling to a Ukrainian like you!? Good grief!

4 of my blog friends said something...:
Loved seeing you at the pool. Alex is amazing, you can see your influence is leaving its mark in a wonderful way. (I think Roman was wearing white swim trunks. teehee)
I think that you are right, in that Alex doesn't want to remember his time in Ukraine. It was too painful and now with you, he has happy/good memories. I know I would want to forget something painful/sad.
Loved the updates and his phrases.. I will visit his blog and add it to my blog list.
You know I love Alex-isms :)
Post a Comment