(This is me, my freshman year in college!)
I remember-like yesterday-the day I left for college. I had been stock piling kitchen supplies in my room for weeks. Plastic wrap, tin foil, plates, silverware etc.
Once I got out on my own I remember thinking how mature, stable and invincible my parents were. They always had food in their cupboards, fridge and stocked in the food storage room. They bought economy size laundry soap for heaven's sake! Upon realizing just how much laundry soap costs....I was sure they were loaded! I always knew my parents would bail me out, they didn't pay for school but they paid for my car insurance, made sure I had a car-that ran, paid for my health insurance, allowed me to take anything I wanted from their food storage AND do all the laundry I could possibly do in a weekend!
Before I left for school I was raring to go! The days couldn't get there fast enough. I just couldn't wait to fly the coop. I think I had rolled my eyes behind my mothers back about 150 times that last month all the while thinking "I can't wait until I move out!"
The golden day finally arrived! My brother, Jeff and cousin, Roland loaded up my stuff in my dad's truck and followed me to BYU-to my off campus-cheapest rent-apartment and I was the first roommate to arrive and no one else was arriving until the next day. My best friend, not for two days.
They dropped off my stuff, hugged me goodbye and were gone. I quickly unpacked and organized all my drawers, closet and kitchen and then, I sat. It was very quiet. I rearranged a few cupboards.Then I sat again. I was all alone in this run down apartment, in a town where I knew no one, and no one was arriving until the next day. Suddenly I was a little sad. More than a little sad. I was lonely.
This was long before the days of cell phones but there was a land line in my apartment and guess who I called?
My MOM!
The person who I wanted to move away from for the past year!
(I think I even had to call collect!)
The person who I wanted to move away from for the past year!
(I think I even had to call collect!)
I'm not sure, but I might have cried about my lonely situation and my mom jumped in the car and drove to Provo that very afternoon.
My very first night, on my own, in my very own apartment and the roommate in the bed next to me was....
My very first night, on my own, in my very own apartment and the roommate in the bed next to me was....
my mom!
Not only did she stay the night with me but she brought her own personal cleaning supplies and we cleaned that apartment from top to bottom. Scouring the tubs and pouring bleach on the counter tops. Then she took me to McFrugals (now known as Big Lots) and bought me cute decorations for my kitchen walls and to the mall for a new pair of jeans and shirt for my first day of class.
I look back thinking about how invincible, strong and stable my parents seemed and I realized they probably felt just like I do right now. Worried, scared and not sure if they were read to let me go.
I was the first one to go to college. My mother had never lived on her own. They knew nothing about scholarships, books, financial aid etc. This was all new territory for them and yet they never let on. And they never confessed their fears. They just loved me. They encouraged me and they supported me the best they could.
My poor Dad. That winter my car wouldn't start. I called. He told me to pop the hood. Once I figured out how to release the hood and get it open I gasped!! "Dad, someone has stolen something out of my engine!" "What?" he asked. There was a big space in my engine where I'm sure some carburetor-oil-exhaust-battery-thingy should go. He drove to Provo only to inform me nothing was missing under my hood and jump my dead battery.
That wasn't the only car rescue that year or in the years to come.**
In time I learned a thing or two about cars. But not much more than two things-just ask James!
And now, here we are. Sending our first baby to college.
(Sniff)
I know she's ready. I know she'll do wonderful, have fun and make good friends and life lasting memories. I am so proud of her for making such good choices and getting to this point in her life. I hope she embraces college life with two open arms, a big smile and a "bring it on" attitude!
And in the event she needs a rescue or two....we are just a speed dial, text or email away!
(This is me with my roommates my sophomore year-I'm in the middle in the white shirt!)
**So, speaking of cars. I asked Devree to send James a text on my phone telling him that "Yes, I think the air you put in my tires has solved the alignment problem." He has been asking me about it and honestly I never consciously think "Hum...is the car still pulling to the right?" when I'm actually IN the car. So I was so proud of myself for responding-only a week after James asked-about the alignment situation.
Later that day my Dad called. He and my mom are on vacation. I picked up the call and could tell he was there but couldn't hear anything. He didn't call back. Later that day I got worried , thinking maybe something was wrong? I called and again, I could tell he was on the phone but I couldn't hear anything. So I called my mom's phone. Same thing. Minutes later my mom is calling from my Dad's truck phone. We finally have a connection. I asked if everything was alright?
Later that day my Dad called. He and my mom are on vacation. I picked up the call and could tell he was there but couldn't hear anything. He didn't call back. Later that day I got worried , thinking maybe something was wrong? I called and again, I could tell he was on the phone but I couldn't hear anything. So I called my mom's phone. Same thing. Minutes later my mom is calling from my Dad's truck phone. We finally have a connection. I asked if everything was alright?
Yes.
Why did you call earlier earlier? Dd you need something.
No. Dad just wanted to make sure your car was alright.
What?
Your car. Is everything okay? Are you having problems?
What?
You sent dad a text?
You sent dad a text?
(It takes me a minute to figure out what has happened) OH MY HECK!! Devree sent the text to DAD in my cell phone not James. (Like, I have James listed as Dad in my cell phone?) I explained and they laughed. So here they are ON vacation-in some remote camp spot-with terrible cell coverage-and STILL trying to take care of me!! Good grief!



6 of my blog friends said something...:
I laughed so hard! I love that your kids only think of james as dad. I must admit I am relieved that Austen is doing college from home. And I am very jealous of your abilities to navigate scholarships. I need you to teach me how it is done. (for real)
What a cute post. BTW, you're looking better with age! I loved those really TALL hair styles.
Loved the big hair! good luc to Kambree and she will need you too, heaven knows I need my folks.
Wendy, I loved this post! I looked at the photos and thought to myself, "now that's the Wendy I remember growing up!" I am so excited for Kambree to go off to school, she will have the time of her life!
Wendy thanks for sharing your experience of leaving for College. In reading this post i learned so much about your mom. She is a wonderful mom and lady. What a blessing she is to you and your whole family.
love the pictures. we would have rocked the 80s together girl.
Post a Comment