I love conference weekend!
Even better James and Kambree were home for it!
We ended up not going to see Kambree dance Friday as she informed me Friday afternoon that she was only dancing for about two minutes, only part of their squad was performing and wasn't it silly to drive two hours each way for that? So we bagged it and she drove home after her performance.
Saturday we washed walls and cleaned like crazy during the first session. (Insert sounds of children groaning!) I made homemade breadsticks and clam chowder for lunch. (Insert happy sounds mostly because I have mastered breadsticks. The secret? Using all white flour instead of the 100% freshly ground whole wheat I always try to cook with. I do TRY to be healthy but when it comes to bread sticks white flour is where it's at!)
During second session I chopped up the abundance of zucchinis and peppers from our garden and froze them on cookie sheets then stored them in zip-locks and bottled tomatoes. I felt like a little chipmunk getting ready for winter.
With James leaving at three tomorrow and Kambree having a date for the 2nd session I had to serve our traditional seven layer dip Saturday night instead of between sessions on Sunday. So we had leftovers and dip for dinner. Alex informed me that it was more like a lunch-dinner than a dinner.
That night the boys went to priesthood session where Alex was disappointed that there was "nothing to do" but listen. James promised the boys a treat if they could remember the name of one speaker and what he talked about. Alex kept trying to let him tell him during the meeting before he forgot but me managed to remember Thomas S Monson said something and repeat it to James afterwards. They went to Mavrick for soft serve ice cream topped with slushie. I know that sounds gross and certain combinations are but if you use chocolate ice cream and cherry slushie.....it is very yummy! Alex came home and said that dad told him we have lots to learn to get to heaven. This was news to Alex. I explained that we ALL have lots to learn to get to heaven but his brothers and sisters have been learning it since they were babies and we didn't get to start teaching him until he was ten almost eleven. He agreed to try and listen better in church and when we talk about scriptures and Jesus-instead of walking off and playing the piano like he had that morning. Then he gave me a big hug and told me "thank you for teaching me." I'm sure conference weekend is torture to sit and listen for hours on end in a language your are just barely grasping. Heck! It was torture for me as a kid too.....and I've always understood English!
I took the girls to Desert Star for a girls night out during the Priesthood session. We had a good time, laughed a lot and discussed what characters we would play if we were in the show. We also came up with a great idea for Rylee's Halloween costume. We'll see if that pan's out...
On Sunday morning I made our traditional "Sticky Buns" a double batch in fact:
Here's my token shot doing what I do best.....the dishes!
Then we played.....
I tried to get some candid pictures-since I've been a slacker lately in the picture department-but I either got uncooperative poses:
Uncooperative and hammy....
Or just hammy....
Or really hammy....
But I managed to get a few sweet ones. Here is Austin being nice to the dog and almost giving me a real smile.
Devree helping Alex with his bingo
Alex
Alex sitting on Devree-at her request-to crack her back
Austin & Ry
And my cute Ry.....
Kam left for her date. I think he's name was Joe? She told me about so many new guys that I'm getting them confused. They attended 2nd session at the Conference Center. We made a big lunch and ate it during the 2nd session. James left for work midway through and the kids got out clay and made friendship bracelets to help pass the time during the last hour.
Kambree came home, ate leftovers returned Devree's beloved skirt, left her the coveted jean dress for the month of October, packed up and left for school. I got texts from both her and James that they arrived safely! Safe comings and goings are such a blessing!
I just loved having everyone home-even if it wasn't for the whole weekend-and I love conference and am so grateful for the gospel in my life.

0 of my blog friends said something...:
Post a Comment