Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Here They Come!!

The next batch of Ukraine orphans arrive this Friday night!
Forty-two to be exact!
This year with being a captain, I get to see just how much work and effort goes into getting these kids here. (I think I mentioned this before? I am a captain over an orphanage? Well, half an orphanage. We have a BIG orphanage and  Andreas and I are sharing the responsibilities. Amy & Carlin are over another and Margie the other.)
Can I just say.....
we have FABULOUS families this year!!
Seriously.
But in all fairness, there's not a family through the Save A Child Foundation that is not fabulous! I love rubbing shoulders with them, texting at all hours of the day and night with my new found BFF's, following each others blogs, getting together for lunch, sharing stories, cheering each other on in their adoption adventure and just being friends! I look forward to the new friendships I'll make with our new families. 
I've got my families set up on a group text, a group email and I just tried to find them all on FB. (Look at how modern technology savvy I am? That texting group only took me about two hours to figure out!)
Lately, I've had calls with all kinds of fun questions to field, 
"Do the Ukraine boys like boxers or briefs?" 
(The answer....briefs. Alex didn't switch over to boxers until he was "all the way American".) 
"Can I cut your borscht recipe in half?" 
Sure....why not?
(Except it's a lot of work and keeps for weeks so I'd probably just make the whole pot!)
And then they ask about Alex....and I ramble on an on about my boy. 
I asked him yesterday if it made him uncomfortable, me talking about him? He had been sitting in the room through my phone conversation. He didn't realize I was talking about him. Wow. My other kids hang on every word I say when their name is brought up in conversation. Not Alex. 
So, I guess I can talk away....until he decides to start paying attention?
So life's going to get a little crazy these next few weeks. You might not hear from me for awhile. I'm sure you are all heartbroken. (Yeah, right.) They've asked us not to post pictures on our blogs of the hosted children. Good thing that wasn't a rule when we hosted. (Or maybe it was and I just didn't know? Or blocked it out?) 
I do hope that our families will consider keeping a blog or at least writing daily about the hosting experience. I did and I cherish it. I would have forgotten so much and Alex has forgotten almost all of it. When asked about what he remembers he told me he was here for three days. Three days? Not 2 1/2 weeks? I was able to go back and read to him my blog entries and show him pictures.
 My friend Sara has this quote on her blog:
Do not trust your memory, it is a net full of holes; the most beautiful prizes slip through it. 
--George Duhamel
Isn't that the truth?
So new families, if you're out there. BLOG! (And be sure to share your blog address with me! I will be your #1 fan!)
Also, I need to give a plug for our benefit concert and silent auction. 
Save A Child Foundation presents....
What Is Your Dream?
Monday, November 1, 2010 
at 
Mount Jordan  Middle School
(9360 South 300 East Sandy, Utah 8407)

Doors open at 5:00 pm
Advance Ticket prices are $10 per person or $40 for a family
At the door ticket prices are $12.50 per person, $50 for a family.
(Let me know if you'd like to buy tickets and I'll hook you up!)

Visit:
or 
call Ann Carr at 801-638-2761 for raffle tickets 
or 
Amy Rast at 801-201-7196 concerning the Silent Auction.

One of our fabulous parents, Ari made a video with pictures and interviews of many of our families and their children and it will be shown during the concert. Yours truly and Alex will be in this. (I hope I don't look like a giant as Alex and I are sitting on little kid primary chairs during our interview!)
So, there you have it.
My life for the next three weeks!




4 of my blog friends said something...:

Just Another Day In Paradise said...

Congratulations!!!! I am so happy to hear more kiddos are coming!!! Be sure to blab about the other blogs, I love being nosey ;)

Stacy said...

Good Luck! I wish you the best and look forward to more Ukrainian stories.

Christy Hinkson said...

The new families are so lucky to have you and if you don't find time to blog your adventures, they will be SORELY missed. We all wake up in the morning and jump out of bed and say YIPPEE, we get to read Wendy's blog. It sets a fun mood for the whole day.
Very seriously
Christy

Andreas said...

You are amazing and the BLUE group is so lucky to have you as their leader. We are going to have so much fun. Think back to 2008 when we all did this -- do you remember the anticipation of it all!?? It was wild and SO exciting at airport. This year, WE are the people at the top of those stairs while everyone below is wishing they were up there. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails