This afternoon Jazmine was studying her Spanish and Alex was working on his journal and he came up and we had this conversation.
Mom, what language closest to English?
I am puzzled.
Well, I'm not sure what you are asking. There are many countries that speak English but they just pronounce their words differently.
Oh. Where?
Like England, Australia, Wales, some parts of Africa. They speak English but it sounds a little different. Didn't people from different parts of Ukraine sound different?
Like England, Australia, Wales, some parts of Africa. They speak English but it sounds a little different. Didn't people from different parts of Ukraine sound different?
No.
Well, you probably didn't travel around Ukraine much.
Like Russia sounds different?
Yes! Like how people from Russia sound different than people from Ukraine but they speak the same language.
All the billboards and television were in Russian but I've been told Ukraine Russian sounds different than Russian Russian. I am sure it's like how a Utahan sounds vs someone from Louisiana or something like that.
Oh.
See? England speaks English pretty much like we do. Do you understand what I mean about how they sound different?
He nods no.
Like Harry Potter. He's speaking English but he sounds different.
At this point Alex's eyes light up, like he's had a brilliant thought.
Oh, then that's what I'll take in junior high then!
What?
Harry Potter English.
For you foreign language class?
Yes!
I begin to laugh
I begin to laugh
Honey, you can't take "Harry Potter English" for your foreign language class. It's English!
The disappointment was evident on his face and then in a voice of despair,
"You mean I have to learn ANOTHER language???"
Oh dear.
I should have figured out where this conversation was going, given Jazmine downstairs reciting Spanish.
Well, yes but maybe you can take a Russian class?
I don't remember Russian.
I know but maybe it will come back to you?
Sigh from Alex.
Little does he know they don't even offer Russian in junior high.
Great.
Poor little guy.
Poor little guy.

1 of my blog friends said something...:
As my kids are ESL students they have all been waved from having to take a second language, at least so far in Jr. High. We'll see what happens with High School. I bet you can get it waved for Jr. High...
How do you keep up with all your posts!?!: )
Post a Comment