I am so happy to report that all my documents are currently in route to Canada! It's been 28 days since we received our list of documents needed for our dossier and after chasing down employment letters, medical statements, warranty deeds, ownership letters, I-17H forms, not to mention the stack of power of attorneys, letters of obligation, copies of passports, etc and getting everything notarized and appostilled....it's on its way!
While squeaking into the FedEx store at 6:00 pm to make the 6:15 drop and filling out my shipping label, I was asked a question. "What is the value of the items being shipped?" I sort of stood there in stunned silence. I was shipping not only my dossier but Jen's as well and she's adopting two little girls. So what is the value of three children? Can you put a price on it? The FedEx guy interrupted my silence with a "Just documents, right?" I said "Yes, but these documents are adoption papers and represent the lives of three children, I don't know how to place a value on that." He jokingly held up the box and said "You've got three children in here?" He then told me that it's just paper, and to put $10 or I could put $50 if I'd like, that this was only a value for customs and not a representation of what the actual value of the documents are. (I'm telling you, just the blood, sweat and tears involved in gathering these documents is worth more than ten bucks!) Then he gave me a tracking number and charged me (gulp) $77.51, looked at me sincerely and said "Good luck, I wish you the best."
It's funny the looks of sympathy I get when people find out I'm adopting. This happened at the post office as well when I sent Alex's last package. The little lady behind the counter realized my package was going to an orphanage and asked about it. I explained I was adopting a little boy and since I carry Alex's picture in a locket around my neck I showed him to her. She then got quite emotional and shared her desire to be a foster parent and an experience she had with a homeless little boy that she saved from a terrible situation. I probably spent 15 minutes at the counter listening to her story while I could sense the mounting frustration of all the people behind me in line. Oh, well.
I need to make a formal apology to my BFAA (Best Friend Also Adopting) Jen. I am very tenacious about paper work. I know this is not a race but I feel such an overwhelming sense of urgency and I told myself, the minute I get my last document, I'm heading to FedEx!! (It was like my last goal, my final conquest!)
In an effort to save on cost Jen and I had discussed FedEx-ing our documents together. So, when I got my last document TODAY at 4:00 I called her and she had just gotten her package back from the appostille at the same time. "Great, I'll be by to pick them up!" and then I was there before she was done making her copies with information about shipping and where I can go to get our package in today's last drop. I don't know that we saved all the much money shipping together, would have been less to go ground but FedEx people aren't very helpful with ground shipping and it involves logging in, creating an account, printing your own shipping label from home all online and will take a week to get there! Forget that! I just sent it all express and seventy-seven dollars later made the drop just in the nick of time.
So now the ball is out of my court, it's in Yuri's and then it goes to the the most daunting court of all, the Ukraine government! I think I should have thought to say a prayer over my documents...
While squeaking into the FedEx store at 6:00 pm to make the 6:15 drop and filling out my shipping label, I was asked a question. "What is the value of the items being shipped?" I sort of stood there in stunned silence. I was shipping not only my dossier but Jen's as well and she's adopting two little girls. So what is the value of three children? Can you put a price on it? The FedEx guy interrupted my silence with a "Just documents, right?" I said "Yes, but these documents are adoption papers and represent the lives of three children, I don't know how to place a value on that." He jokingly held up the box and said "You've got three children in here?" He then told me that it's just paper, and to put $10 or I could put $50 if I'd like, that this was only a value for customs and not a representation of what the actual value of the documents are. (I'm telling you, just the blood, sweat and tears involved in gathering these documents is worth more than ten bucks!) Then he gave me a tracking number and charged me (gulp) $77.51, looked at me sincerely and said "Good luck, I wish you the best."
It's funny the looks of sympathy I get when people find out I'm adopting. This happened at the post office as well when I sent Alex's last package. The little lady behind the counter realized my package was going to an orphanage and asked about it. I explained I was adopting a little boy and since I carry Alex's picture in a locket around my neck I showed him to her. She then got quite emotional and shared her desire to be a foster parent and an experience she had with a homeless little boy that she saved from a terrible situation. I probably spent 15 minutes at the counter listening to her story while I could sense the mounting frustration of all the people behind me in line. Oh, well.
I need to make a formal apology to my BFAA (Best Friend Also Adopting) Jen. I am very tenacious about paper work. I know this is not a race but I feel such an overwhelming sense of urgency and I told myself, the minute I get my last document, I'm heading to FedEx!! (It was like my last goal, my final conquest!)
In an effort to save on cost Jen and I had discussed FedEx-ing our documents together. So, when I got my last document TODAY at 4:00 I called her and she had just gotten her package back from the appostille at the same time. "Great, I'll be by to pick them up!" and then I was there before she was done making her copies with information about shipping and where I can go to get our package in today's last drop. I don't know that we saved all the much money shipping together, would have been less to go ground but FedEx people aren't very helpful with ground shipping and it involves logging in, creating an account, printing your own shipping label from home all online and will take a week to get there! Forget that! I just sent it all express and seventy-seven dollars later made the drop just in the nick of time.
So now the ball is out of my court, it's in Yuri's and then it goes to the the most daunting court of all, the Ukraine government! I think I should have thought to say a prayer over my documents...

6 of my blog friends said something...:
And now what? Like how long? I feel anxious myself - I can't imagine how you must feel...
Congrats on getting the papers in - that has to be a record!
You are such a trooper! Congratulations on getting that all done! How exciting! I'm on the edge of my seat! Can't wait to meet him!
All will be well! we are praying for you all. Keep us posted!
I shouldn't worry about the money so much. What is $20 when we are spending $30,000 right? I'm so glad they're in and we can both move on to getting our homes ready for these children to come home! Thanks for being so vigilant, I was happy to be the recipient of your efforts. Thanks for everything.
Yikes. It will be pines and needles for a while now, right?
It cut your shipping in 1/2. Everyone I've talked to (and my self) spent 59.77 to ship over night, the two day option (for me) was 67.00. Go figure : ) I think it was really smart of you.
Post a Comment