Friday, January 23, 2009

So what does a submission date mean?

It means that roughly 20 working days from our submission date we'll (with any luck) have our paper work approved and our SDA (State Department of Adoptions) date and know when we're traveling. Normally this is 6-8 weeks after approval. That puts us about mid May. :)
So my mind's been going 100 miles an hour since our great news yesterday. And in an effort to remain in motion and because I've got to do SOMETHING I'm thinking I'll research air fare prices.
My friend mentioned on one of the morning shows (I can't remember which one and haven't been able to find any links on any of the sites I've gone to?) that they were talking about adoption grants. I've researched this before but got no where. So if anyone has a fabulous connection or idea or knows if this is worth pursuing, please let me know!
Family News....
Remember how I was complaining a few post back that my children don't say cute funny things like they did when they were toddlers? Last night Austin (my almost 15 year old) asked if when Dad builds his bedroom could he plumb him in a drinking fountain? I'm like, "You're kidding? Right?" Nope, he was perfectly serious. After explaining the need for water access and a drain, both of which are no where near his new bedroom, he's still under the impression that it shouldn't be that hard. I gave up and told him to ask his Dad when he gets home. (I hope I'm around for this conversation!)
Report cards are out! Yikes! (Out of respect for Austin we'll not be discussing his report card but sufficed to say Alex will not be the only one going to school this summer.)
Kambree made honor roll (yes, with four college courses) and Devree got her 2nd 4.0 perfect report card. Yikes! Why "yikes" you ask? Because back when Kambree was a struggling 7th grader I proposed, as an incentive, for honor roll we'd pay $50 and for 4.0's we'd pay $100. (Not thinking ahead and/or realizing how tenacious and conquering Devree is about homework and all things related to school!) Yep, that's right. Devree will probably cost me $400 a year for the next six years.
Last night we hit Office Depot for folders, binders, pencils and yet another special calculator Kambree needs for a math class. Luckily her old calculator will now be passed to Austin. We then hit Big 5 for gym shoes for Austin and we're now officially ready for the new term! Whew...who said public schooling was free?

7 of my blog friends said something...:

Michelle said...

Hey cuz! I actually saw the segment on adoption grants on the Today show yesterday(which I normally NEVER watch.) It caught my attention so I tried to remember the name of the organization and I think it was helpusadopt.org. So there you go!

Michelle said...

Okay, so I looked it up, which I probably could have done before, but it is helpusadopt.org. Good luck!

snakeriverwalton said...

um, yeah, that was the site. How come I haven't seen jared's report card? Hmmmmm

Anonymous said...

For our Ukrainian trip, we used gotorussia.net. I seem to remember comparing prices and they were about the best at the time. We flew on LOT Polish Airlines, which was a very good airline. The staff was very good about helping us change dates and flights when we ended up having to stay longer.

To Kazakhstan we used Delta Sky Miles which really saved us some money. If you have miles, or have friends that will donate miles to you, this is the way to go.

Jen said...

I'm looking forward to this info as well. We've already been doing some research, but had not heard of any airline "grants." Cool!

Heidi Gail Richhart said...

Well i hope all continues to go well! i am sure they will. You and Your family are great and your children totally rock! congrats to Devree and Kambree on their fantastic report cards. As always please keep us all posted as i know u will. I am glad your children and your whole family and ours are cousins! (even if it is 2nd or 3rd).

Carlin said...

We were going away for chirstmas on frequent flier miles and cancelled it so we could use the miles to go to Ukraine. When I cancelled (Delta) they said they give discounts for families adopting... I haven't called yet because I was waiting for travel dates, but it might be worth looking into.

Related Posts with Thumbnails