Last night I had just set down to upload some pictures and post on my blog in an effort to entertain myself as I had three extra children here for a sleep over and although it was 11pm there was no way I was going to get them to sleep anytime soon. I had just connected my camera and pulled up my blog site and the power went out! It was crazy as the house was so noisy with the dishwasher going, the dryer going, the kids had the TV on, one was on the laptop, I was on my computer and then dark and silence. I sat there waiting for everything to come back on (as Murray rarely has power outages) and nothing happened. We found flashlights (thanks to my sister giving my children flashlights for Christmas!), and because I convinced the kids to get in bed because "the furnace isn't working and you should crawl into your sleeping bags/beds while it's still warm" I managed to get everyone settled down and tucked in. Then I ran around trying to turn off what I could remember was on when the outage happened and went to bed myself. Just as I was settling in, the power came back on just long enough for me to really run around and turn everything off and then it went out again. This morning everything is on, the house is warm and the kids are waking. Electricity, what a blessing but what a distraction too. If the power could go out at bedtime every night and I didn't have to peel my children away from the Wii, computer, and TV wouldn't that be wonderful? Plus the silence. It was great.
Anyway, I was sitting down last night to post my New Years resolutions and goals.
Last year I did what I thought was the unthinkable. I gave up Diet Coke. It wasn't easy but I am so glad I did as I've just read too much bad stuff about artificial sweeteners. So in an effort to publicly hold myself my accountable, here are my resolutions. Some resolve to improve the lives of others (my children) that may or may not want to be improved upon!
#1 No eating for me after dinner.
(This is huge! I love to snack, especially late at night so typing this makes me a little nervous!)
#2 My good friend Amy introduced me to the 5/2/1/0 plan for children.
5 fruits and/or vegetables each day
No more than 2 hours of screen time
(I love that phrase "screen time", that includes computers, DS, Wii etc)
1 hour of moderate exercise
0 sugary drinks
(The only thing we have mastered here is the zero sugary drinks and that is in our home, grandma's house is a different story!)
#3 Read two pages each night in my scriptures.
(Do you realize if you do this you could read the BofM in less than six months? Yes, you probably have just by using simple math but for me it was pure enlightenment!)
#4 HAVE MORE FUN!
#5 Bring Benjamin Alex home!
Last night before the power outage I had a burst of New Years ambition and went major grocery shopping, scrubbed my main floor carpets and hung pictures. Here is a picture of my results. You may think, big whoop but take note of the dumb light switch in the middle of my wall I had to work around.

Happy New Year Friends and Family!
May 2009 bring joy, love and (for those of us approaching this adopting adventure) our children safely home!
Last year I did what I thought was the unthinkable. I gave up Diet Coke. It wasn't easy but I am so glad I did as I've just read too much bad stuff about artificial sweeteners. So in an effort to publicly hold myself my accountable, here are my resolutions. Some resolve to improve the lives of others (my children) that may or may not want to be improved upon!
#1 No eating for me after dinner.
(This is huge! I love to snack, especially late at night so typing this makes me a little nervous!)
#2 My good friend Amy introduced me to the 5/2/1/0 plan for children.
5 fruits and/or vegetables each day
No more than 2 hours of screen time
(I love that phrase "screen time", that includes computers, DS, Wii etc)
1 hour of moderate exercise
0 sugary drinks
(The only thing we have mastered here is the zero sugary drinks and that is in our home, grandma's house is a different story!)
#3 Read two pages each night in my scriptures.
(Do you realize if you do this you could read the BofM in less than six months? Yes, you probably have just by using simple math but for me it was pure enlightenment!)
#4 HAVE MORE FUN!
#5 Bring Benjamin Alex home!
Last night before the power outage I had a burst of New Years ambition and went major grocery shopping, scrubbed my main floor carpets and hung pictures. Here is a picture of my results. You may think, big whoop but take note of the dumb light switch in the middle of my wall I had to work around.
Happy New Year Friends and Family!
May 2009 bring joy, love and (for those of us approaching this adopting adventure) our children safely home!

3 of my blog friends said something...:
Our power went out yesterday,too! For about an hour in the afternoon. Glad yours came back on, too. I love the new addition to your new wall arrangement and how you worked around the light switch. Can't wait to see you guys in a couple of months!
If that 5/2/1/0 plan had a '4' and a '3' (namely, 4 massages daily for mom and 3 peaceful meals without fighting), I could totally get on board! Isn't quiet a beautiful thing? Hooray for the occasional power outage!
I Love your wall addition and also visiting your blog and reading your posts and everything.
Post a Comment